Question Best SSD for Gaming (Dead Space remake)

Jan 29, 2023
I tried playing the new Dead Space remake on a WD Easystore HDD and it has problems loading assets because the game has no loading screens and mechanical HDDs can't keep up. I tried installing the Samsung 980 NVMe card but I had no idea what I was doing. I thought it was just plug n' play but it wanted me to do all kinds of stuff in the BIOS menu and was a foreign language to me. Would an external SDD work? If NVMe cards are better, what's the easiest way to do it?

Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk B450 (not the MAX model)

I don't know if it means anything, but running the DS remake off an HDD is causing stuttering and key items will not spawn, prohibiting progress. I've also had one or two instances of being attacked by invisible enemies that suddenly appear after a few seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: monere
Jan 29, 2023
Not "external".

What specific problems did you have with the 980?

But really, any SSD should work. SATA III or NVMe.

What other drives are in this system?

The internal C drive and a few external HDDs

When I connected the 980, I accessed the BIOS menu by pressing F2 and Del. I read to go to "Advanced" but after that I had no options regarding the NVMe. It was listed in the hardware but I couldn't figure out how to do anything with it and it was as if it didn't exist.

USAFRet

Titan
The internal C drive and a few external HDDs

When I connected the 980, I accessed the BIOS menu by pressing F2 and Del. I read to go to "Advanced" but after that I had no options regarding the NVMe. It was listed in the hardware but I couldn't figure out how to do anything with it and it was as if it didn't exist.
I meant details on the other drive(s)

C drive is what, exactly?

For the 980.....does it appear in Device Manager or Disk Management?

Jan 29, 2023
I meant details on the other drive(s)

C drive is what, exactly?

For the 980.....does it appear in Device Manager or Disk Management?

From System Information:

• Drive: C:
  • Description: Local Fixed Disk
  • Compressed: No
  • File System: NTFS
  • Size: 237.87 GB (255,414,206,464 bytes)
  • Free Space: 10.07 GB (10,812,055,552 bytes)
  • Volume Name: (nothing)
  • Volume Serial Number: 086C57FB
Shows up in Device Manager

USAFRet

Titan
From System Information:

• Drive: C:
  • Description: Local Fixed Disk
  • Compressed: No
  • File System: NTFS
  • Size: 237.87 GB (255,414,206,464 bytes)
  • Free Space: 10.07 GB (10,812,055,552 bytes)
  • Volume Name: (nothing)
  • Volume Serial Number: 086C57FB
Shows up in Device Manager
C drive....I meant....HDD or SSD?
Make/model?

For the 980, please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.
(upload your pic to imgur.com, post the link here)

Jan 29, 2023
The C drive is an HDD. That's all I know.

I returned the NVMe to the store in haste so I can't screenshot anything. If I buy it again, how am I supposed to set it up in the BIOS menu if I don't have the right options?

Jan 15, 2023
If the system detects it but it doesnt show up as usable drive, you should format it in Disk Management. At this point it is just raw unusable space on which you need to create a partition and format it as NTFS if im not mistaken, after that you should be good to go

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jan 29, 2023
If the system detects it but it doesnt show up as usable drive, you should format it in Disk Management. At this point it is just raw unusable space on which you need to create a partition and format it as NTFS if im not mistaken, after that you should be good to go

How would I go about formatting it?

Also, when I put it in, I didn't have the screw, but it seemed to stay in place, just slightly sticking out (as in moving away from the motherboard) but the connector was fully inserted into the port. Is that okay?

Jan 15, 2023

Also, when I put it in, I didn't have the screw, but it seemed to stay in place, just slightly sticking out (as in moving away from the motherboard) but the connector was fully inserted into the port. Is that okay?
Here it is, in takes less than 60 seconds

View: https://youtu.be/8e57PI7CHG0

I wouldn't dare using it without a screw but it was detected so that wasnt the problem in this instance. In fact, there is no problem at all, you just need to initialize the disk, just like in the video

Reactions: Starwind Amada

USAFRet

Titan

We NEED to see a pic of your Disk Management window.

And you NEED that screw. Period.

Jan 29, 2023

View: https://youtu.be/8e57PI7CHG0

I wouldn't dare using it without a screw but it was detected so that wasnt the problem in this instance. In fact, there is no problem at all, you just need to initialize the disk, just like in the video

I'm not going back to the store again so I just rush-ordered one from Amazon. I'll try this tomorrow and hopefully it works. Thanks for the help.

USAFRet

Titan

While not initialized is likely the problem, lets wait until we see the actual Disk Management window, before recommending a procedure.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jan 29, 2023
UPDATE: The Geek Squad guy told me I just have to put the SSD in and format it. The problem is, when I turn on the PC with the SSD installed it tells me that no OS was found and that I have to select a boot device. I can't do anything because these messages are all that appear. If I access the BIOS menu, I can't format anything because that is not a function of the BIOS menu and I can't select the SSD as a boot drive.

USAFRet

Titan
UPDATE: The Geek Squad guy told me I just have to put the SSD in and format it. The problem is, when I turn on the PC with the SSD installed it tells me that no OS was found and that I have to select a boot device. I can't do anything because these messages are all that appear. If I access the BIOS menu, I can't format anything because that is not a function of the BIOS menu and I can't select the SSD as a boot drive.
  1. GeekSquad is cluesless. Completely.
  2. If this new drive is the only drive in it, you need to install an OS on it.

Reactions: monere
Jan 29, 2023
  1. GeekSquad is cluesless. Completely.
  2. If this new drive is the only drive in it, you need to install an OS on it.

But the C drive has Windows on it already. But when I power on the PC with the SSD installed I guess it can't see it.

USAFRet

Titan