Best video card for this HTPC build

boardumb

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Hey guys,

New here so if I forgot a rule, etc. i don't mind being hounded for being a noob. :pt1cable: part of the internet game.

Anyway, I'm looking for the best available (or upcoming) video card for what I have. I know it's hard to say about upcoming since there are no hard specifications out though.

What I will have

i7 ivy bridge processor (I'm banking on getting one through work for a really sweet deal)
Pc power and cooling silencer mk III 400w I had for about 3 months running pretty low loads (AMD trinity, no graphics card).

Most likely I'll run a 7200rpm ide hard drive and a bluray drive. I'll be running it through a somewhat large HTPC (Along the lines of the Silverstone GD07)

Thanks in advance!

Solution

With 1080p resolution you need to get a decent amount of GPU power for higher end games or FPS games. Your PSU has 30A on the 12V rail and one 150W 8-pin PCIe power connector. That PSU meets the specs for an HD 7850. Any card higher than the 7850 requires two PCIe power connectors; I would recommend staying with a PSU...

boardumb

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I intend to use it for gaming on my 51" 1080p tv. Budget isn't really a concern but I don't expect to spend too much cause how much can a 400w really even power?

I was going through a power supply calculator but it didn't seem accurate. It says I could almost run a 680, which I doubt... then again I guess most won't be running a processor that sips down only 77 W.

I don't intend to overclock anything either.

Pearlmam

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
If you plan on gaming, you should get the best graphics card you can afford. I am particular to Nvidia because of their history, but I hear ATI is equally as good for gaming.

I own GeForce GTX 560 Ti, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604, and I love it. I bought this a year ago and the price has not changed yet. I'm assuming we are due for a price drop soon. Maybe not though. With this graphics card, you would need more power than 400 W.

One thing I think is overrated in GPUs is memory. How much memory do you actually need for gaming? Ive monitored my GPU memory usage during game play and I never even come close to using 1 GB (i dont remember the actual values). Does any game require the use of a lot of memory? The only reason it seems to get more memory on the GPU is if you are going to do GPU computing.

boardumb

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Thanks, but price really wasn't a concern. I'm just worried about my PSU limitations. Nvidia's 500 series is too power hungry for my tastes, so I'm looking into either AMD's 7000 series or Nvidia's surprisingly efficient Kepler series. I figure with a 400 watt power supply I would limit myself from graphic cards that are too noisy as well. I'm just not too knowledgeable on what's a safe card that my PSU could handle.

Considering I'm only using only 1 "monitor", a 1080p tv, I know memory isn't really a factor there.

With 1080p resolution you need to get a decent amount of GPU power for higher end games or FPS games. Your PSU has 30A on the 12V rail and one 150W 8-pin PCIe power connector. That PSU meets the specs for an HD 7850. Any card higher than the 7850 requires two PCIe power connectors; I would recommend staying with a PSU that comes with sufficient PCIe power connectors. An HD7850 in a system with highly overclocked, power-hungry i7 965 pulled 256W at full load: http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-radeon-hd-7850-and-7870-review/7
You're PSU will run close to the efficiency sweet spot even at load.

Solution

boardumb

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Thanks Rugger! That's the kind of answer I was looking for. 7850 doesn't sound bad at all. My main gaming computer (23" monitor, going to be 3) has a 6950 currently but my friend is buying that off of me while I upgrade to a GTX 670. Having a secondary computer with a 7850 to use with my microsoft controller doesn't sound so bad now!

Glad I could help. My primary has a 6950 in it and I game at 1080P...the 7850 is a slight step down but will provide a great gaming experience for you. Enjoy!