Question Best way to expand internal Motherboard USB Headers?

Silmefaron

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
I have an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard which has 2 9-pin JUSB headers on it, and 1 front I/O JUSB header. I have just upgraded from air cooling to an AIO loop which requires a USB header for RGB control and power supply. I need to connect my front I/O with both a JUSB 20-pin and a JUSB 9-pin for all 4 USB ports to work, leaving me with only one available 9-pin JUSB. I've done a bit of research to find some sort of expansion, but have yet to see good reviews for anything. Essentially I have 3 devices which require internal JUSB headers and only 2 9-pin headers. I've seen molex powered solutions such as one by NZXT which according to many of the low-star reviews fried peoples motherboards (I don't trust Molex anyhow). Does anyone know of a safe and sure way to increase the number of headers? I'm happy to add a PCIe card if that is what's required to make this work, I'm just afraid of frying any of my components or RGB items.

Get an add in PCI card. That's the ONLY way to expand the number of headers that is worth even looking at really. There are some other options like splitters, but like you I'd be very skeptical of them. If it was that easy, the board manufacturer would have included similar adapters or would offer them as accessories since they are fairly inexpensive, which is the problem.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to pass on a link/model to all the USB devices that you're connecting to the internal headers. Often times(the AIO's with USB connectors) only used one row out of the 9 pins, whereby the other row was blocked off without any pins coming off of it.

Silmefaron

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
Get an add in PCI card. That's the ONLY way to expand the number of headers that is worth even looking at really. There are some other options like splitters, but like you I'd be very skeptical of them. If it was that easy, the board manufacturer would have included similar adapters or would offer them as accessories since they are fairly inexpensive, which is the problem.
Have you had any experience with internal JUSB via PCIe cards? I was having trouble finding one that had internal 9-pins, the only ones I could find were 2 or 4 external with a 20-pin internal.
You might want to pass on a link/model to all the USB devices that you're connecting to the internal headers. Often times(the AIO's with USB connectors) only used one row out of the 9 pins, whereby the other row was blocked off without any pins coming off of it.
Here's a list:
AIO Cooler: Corsair H115i
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe (Front Header Connection(s))
RGB Lighting: Corsair Lighting Node Pro

I looked into putting both the lights and the AIO on a Commander Pro from corsair but it is very expensive, and many people said the AIO and even occasionally the lights did not work properly when connected over this together.

TRENDING THREADS