Bethesda Suing Minecraft Developer Over "Scrolls"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamion

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
If Bethesda are such crybabies maybe they should've thought of getting the name "Scrolls" before? nooo, they didn't. Is this a joke?..

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I know it's childish, but now based solely on this, I will be sure to avoid elder scrolls and other bestheda titles. They're just worried that a real game is going to take over the market.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
This would be like Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast suing Kalypso Media over their game "Dungeons" because it might "confuse" players into thinking it has some relation to "Dungeons and Dragons".

Anyway, if you take a look at the games (The Elder Scrolls V and Scrolls), it becomes apparently obvious they have nothing in common. One is an open ended RPG, one is a card game.

[citation][nom]anxiousinfusion[/nom]I know it's childish, but now based solely on this, I will be sure to avoid elder scrolls and other bestheda titles. They're just worried that a real game is going to take over the market.[/citation]

Not sure what you mean but last time I checked, TES is the biggest in RPGs. They are the best as well.

I understand why they are doing it, and doubt it would end badly. I think Scrollcraft would have been a better name.

G

Im so sick of everyone suing each other. I will sue everyone because im tired of them suing eachother. I will be a trillionare :p

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
They have every right to pursue a lawsuit over this if they please, they are being as cut throat as every other company out there about protection of their product, and "intellectual arts"

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Not sure what you mean but last time I checked, TES is the biggest in RPGs. They are the best as well.I understand why they are doing it, and doubt it would end badly. I think Scrollcraft would have been a better name.[/citation]
Yep, I install and play Elder Scrolls IV when I'm bored to tears of every other game I own. Guess that's really only once a year, if that. I think Steam has me up to 17 hrs play time now.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
To be honest, i don't think the Skyrim team got together around a table and said "Hey! Screw Mojang and there scrolls trademark! Lets get our lawyers on that now!"

I hope notch is right when he says that it's just a type of automated response.

skaz

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]By year 2050. Games will be named 0B187A28. Cuz all the words would be copyrighted.[/citation]

Haha! So true. It's honestly getting ridiculous.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Maybe it's just me, but I think Bethesda/Bethsoft/Whatever has a pretty lame case because most people know and refer to their products by Morrowind, Oblivion and now Skyrim... not The Elder Scrolls.

Please, Bethesda... don't be an Apple.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]By year 2050. Games will be named 0B187A28. Cuz all the words would be copyrighted.[/citation]
Whoa there, I already trademarked OB187A2B. That name is far too similar to mine. I'll see you in court son!

Status
Not open for further replies.