Big Patch for Battlefield 3 PC Planned This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
So, five weeks later they are going to fix the mouse issue many people notice? They should have fixed some essential stuff like that first instead of releasing a monster patch.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]buckcm[/nom]So, five weeks later they are going to fix the mouse issue many people notice? They should have fixed some essential stuff like that first instead of releasing a monster patch.[/citation]

BTW, what's this mouse issue?

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]BTW, what's this mouse issue?[/citation]
Search the BF3 forums for mouse acceleration. I found a number of threads where people were complaining about the same issue where moving left-to-right (horizontally) caused there to be negative acceleration. It got progressively harder to continue turning in a direction, forcing you to drag your mouse more. It is very annoying, especially with hip fire. It is very noticeable if I try to do a zigzag pattern.

I get an issue in and out of vehicles as well where moving left to right and vice versa causes the mouse to lock up. If I'm moving right at an instant, it locks up and I can't move right anymore. I must turn left before I can continue turning right again. This happens to me in vehicles and on foot.

Furthermore, the sensitivity seems to go way up in vehicles compared to foot. I turn my DPI down from 1800 on my mx518 to the middle setting in vehicles like the jet and gunner seat for the IFV (infantry fighting vehicle / light armor), and helicopters because the sensitivity is too high, yet on foot it is fine.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]buckcm[/nom]Search the BF3 forums for mouse acceleration. I found a number of threads where people were complaining about the same issue where moving left-to-right (horizontally) caused there to be negative acceleration. It got progressively harder to continue turning in a direction, forcing you to drag your mouse more. It is very annoying, especially with hip fire. It is very noticeable if I try to do a zigzag pattern. I get an issue in and out of vehicles as well where moving left to right and vice versa causes the mouse to lock up. If I'm moving right at an instant, it locks up and I can't move right anymore. I must turn left before I can continue turning right again. This happens to me in vehicles and on foot.Furthermore, the sensitivity seems to go way up in vehicles compared to foot. I turn my DPI down from 1800 on my mx518 to the middle setting in vehicles like the jet and gunner seat for the IFV (infantry fighting vehicle / light armor), and helicopters because the sensitivity is too high, yet on foot it is fine.[/citation]

Huh. I didn't notice that while playing... is it MP or SP or in both? What I did notice, however, is mini-stutter (less than 0.1s) while moving in large areas with motion blur on... pwnd by the new beta driver though, it seems.

As for vehicles, I didn't get to them yet, but I will watch out for that, thanks.

G

I never noticed a mouse issue as you described. Only issue with the mouse is flying jets where its way too low for me. What I hope they fix is the green flickering. Thats way too distracting!

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I guess I am one of the lucky ones who have had almost zero problems with Battlefield 3. But even so, I'm glad they are fixing the issues other users are experiencing. Also glad they are willing to release the PC patch when it is ready, rather than waiting for the consoles to get approval. Refreshing change after being annoyed by that other wildly popular shooter series... ;)

cmcghee358

Distinguished
I really enjoyed BF3 because of it's realism. I especially liked the bullet drop on long range sniper shots. Excellent mechanics.

But now, I hate the cheesiness of the game. In daylight maps, in the desert, people are using mini-mag taclights brighter than the sun. Furthermore, they are using IRNV.

This infuriates me. I'm one of those people that goes out of their way to avoid confrontation to get to a certain point to outflank the enemy, then I rape them. This ridiculousness of using thermal imaging during the heat of day to pinpoint human beings with an external temperature that is pretty close to equal with the ambient air temperature(Human core temp is 97, human external/skin temp is closer to 80) has cost me my sanity.

This type of arcade oversight I expected from MW3, this isn't what BF3 is made of. From what I gather they are going to shorten the effective range of the IRNV, but it will still operate the same. That is, will totally discount the assumed ambient air temp in relation to the human targets.

* DISCLAIMER: I know it's a game *

Furthermore, I have no issue with IRNV being use on night maps. InfraRed NightVision(IRNV) SHOULD be used on night maps!

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I never noticed a mouse issue as you described. Only issue with the mouse is flying jets where its way too low for me. What I hope they fix is the green flickering. Thats way too distracting!

Another issue I never noticed... where can it be observed, this green flickering?

[citation][nom]cmcghee358[/nom]I really enjoyed BF3 because of it's realism. I especially liked the bullet drop on long range sniper shots. Excellent mechanics.But now, I hate the cheesiness of the game. In daylight maps, in the desert, people are using mini-mag taclights brighter than the sun. Furthermore, they are using IRNV.This infuriates me. I'm one of those people that goes out of their way to avoid confrontation to get to a certain point to outflank the enemy, then I rape them. This ridiculousness of using thermal imaging during the heat of day to pinpoint human beings with an external temperature that is pretty close to equal with the ambient air temperature(Human core temp is 97, human external/skin temp is closer to 80) has cost me my sanity.This type of arcade oversight I expected from MW3, this isn't what BF3 is made of. From what I gather they are going to shorten the effective range of the IRNV, but it will still operate the same. That is, will totally discount the assumed ambient air temp in relation to the human targets.* DISCLAIMER: I know it's a game *Furthermore, I have no issue with IRNV being use on night maps. InfraRed NightVision(IRNV) SHOULD be used on night maps![/citation]

Honestly most of what you stated are things that wouldn't be caught by a development cycle. Those devices (light and IRNV) are working as intended, its just the balance and implementation that need looked at. Daylight is just an effect of the graphics engine, so IRNV working during the day makes perfect sense from a programming perspective. They would have to disable it across the entire map as the game doesn't differentiate between sunlight and non-sunlight environments, those are just graphics. Most likely they'll eventually recode part of the engine to recognize when IRNV is being used in "daylight" and disable it somehow.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Only issue I've had on maxed out settings which comes and goes is a stutter effect in big open area's when there's a lot going on on the map. Besides that, the game is not flawless but that's what patches are for. If you played BF2 your not a stranger to all the patch's. It is what it is. On that note I'm enjoying the game very much and can't wait for the 4 classic maps coming out =D

cmcghee358

Distinguished
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]Honestly most of what you stated are things that wouldn't be caught by a development cycle. Those devices (light and IRNV) are working as intended, its just the balance and implementation that need looked at. Daylight is just an effect of the graphics engine, so IRNV working during the day makes perfect sense from a programming perspective. They would have to disable it across the entire map as the game doesn't differentiate between sunlight and non-sunlight environments, those are just graphics. Most likely they'll eventually recode part of the engine to recognize when IRNV is being used in "daylight" and disable it somehow.[/citation]

It's not an issue of a development cycle. It's an issue of "How does infrared work"

Then

Make it do that.

Your thinking like a user not a developer. There is no sun, there is no heat in a video game. NV glass's are just the engine rendering differently, no actual physics checks are being done for heat values. Thus from a developers point of view it's working exactly as intended, they just never coded it to not work in some places. To fix it they would have to recode part of the graphics engine, then insert some sort of "no IR" flag onto the various sections of maps. That would be the quick and dirty way, would still have people standing in shaded (IR on) areas using it, but would mostly fix it. The real solution would be to redo part of the graphics engine to calculate ambient light values and use those as a bias against the rendered image when in "IR" mode. Of course they'd have to redo every light source to include a "IR / no-IR" flag so the bias wouldn't use regular non-IR light.

See nothing is ever as simple as it appears.

FunSurfer

Distinguished
Biggest disappointment for me in BF3 is NO BOTS in MP. I miss the freedom and joy in gamplay of BF2, compared to idiots who write you f@#%#@ed remarks on every slight mistake they think you make.

crapfacednoob

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
[citation][nom]giovanni86[/nom]Only issue I've had on maxed out settings which comes and goes is a stutter effect in big open area's when there's a lot going on on the map. Besides that, the game is not flawless but that's what patches are for. If you played BF2 your not a stranger to all the patch's. It is what it is. On that note I'm enjoying the game very much and can't wait for the 4 classic maps coming out =D[/citation]
That should be low frame rates.

cathalibm

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
im getting the problem where it crashes after 2 or 3 map changes. I update the video drivers but still the same. Also getting the problem where teamspeak is interfering with the sound of the game!

cmcghee358

Distinguished
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]Your thinking like a user not a developer. There is no sun, there is no heat in a video game. NV glass's are just the engine rendering differently, no actual physics checks are being done for heat values. Thus from a developers point of view it's working exactly as intended, they just never coded it to not work in some places. To fix it they would have to recode part of the graphics engine, then insert some sort of "no IR" flag onto the various sections of maps. That would be the quick and dirty way, would still have people standing in shaded (IR on) areas using it, but would mostly fix it. The real solution would be to redo part of the graphics engine to calculate ambient light values and use those as a bias against the rendered image when in "IR" mode. Of course they'd have to redo every light source to include a "IR / no-IR" flag so the bias wouldn't use regular non-IR light.See nothing is ever as simple as it appears.[/citation]

I understand the development. I agree it was and is poorly coded. My issue is when it was on the drawing board, and someone said IR, no one had the foresight to actually understand and EXECUTE the physics of it properly.

It is a fundamental problem.

Yeah sure they can fix it with code, but it's like collision detection in games. Everyone hates when the invisible wall around the object(that is much bigger than the object it's supposed to represent) crashes you.

When the human mind expects certain universal truths to be commonplace, when they aren't and the laws don't make sense, it cuts deeper than other less important things. Sometimes developers focus too much on attention to detail and miss a large item that just doesn't make sense

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Also Paladin, you may or may not play the game I'm not sure; but all they would need is a No IR flag on all daytime maps(only like.. 12 maps or so)

So it actually wouldn't be too hard.

Also much love for you from all that I learned from the Bulldozer thread. I read every page!

jakall

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Battlefield 3 is the disappointment of the year for me.
I do not play multi player, so single player is all that matters for me.
In single player this game sucks so bad, is a blatant copy of MWxxx, it`s crazy. But the game just feels put together from pieces, it feels broken. And it also feels like a copy. A bad one.
So, no patch is going to fix this.
A turd will be still a turd, no matter the polish.
Better work harder next time, and try not to copy, try to innovate, my advice for the DICE team.

G

@jakall
Really? A blatant copy of MW? Don't you mean a blatant copy of well I don't know, the hundreds of war movies/books/tv shows that came out before MW? Also, if you had put any research into the BF series, BF has always been about the multiplayer experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.