Big scary lizards: Going beyond the giant crocodile.

I'm working on a creature for my current campaign, a sort of 'grandaddy'
croc that you can only find in a good fantasy setting. Rambling follows,
after which are some actual questions that you can skip to if your
attention span is short.

When the party is about to go slogging through the river and swamp to get
where they're going, they are warned by the natives of Urugasuchu, the
Grandfather Crocodile, the oldest and largest crocodile in the river. The
crocs, the natives say, never stop growing all their lives, and never die
of aging, they simply eat and grow until something kills them or they
starve. Urugasuchu has lurked in the swamps since the beginning of time,
and has grown so large that he feeds primarily on the largest of the
other crocodiles, letting none approach him in size or power. Even the
monstrous denizens of the jungle, such as hydras, avoid his territory for
fear of being dragged into the murky water and torn asunder.

On the way in, they'll encounter plenty of regular crocodiles that stay
out of their way, and eventually will be ambushed by a giant crocodile,
straight out of the book. There's 6 party members, levels 5-6, so a CR 4
croc will hardly be a speedbump, and they'll probably strut into the
village, full of vim about how easily they killed the granddaddy croc.

It's on the way out, however, that they get ambushed by the real
Urugasuchu. The question is, how should I stat him up? I intend for this
to be a run-or-die encounter; the conflict is going to be in what they
encounter trying to get away.

The encounter will start with a young adult blue dragon that has been
sent to deliver a message by a green wyrm that has pressed him into
service. He lands too near to a deep pool, and Urugasuchu attacks before
he finishes the message. The dragon is dragged under, and all the crocs
in the area swarm in to get a piece of the feast. I'll let the party gawk
at this for a while, but Urugasuchu eventually abandons his prey to chase
them. (They've forgotten by now, but ages ago they incurred the curse of
a dying lizardman druid. This should manifest as an unusual
aggressiveness among the crocs, even before Uru.)

From here, Uru basically serves as a time limit for getting out of the
swamp, which is unfortunate because the villain chooses this moment to
track them down.

What particular traits should Uru have? I've bumped him up to gargantuan
size and 17HD, should he have more? Should he have supernatural powers,
such as damage resistance or some sort or fearful presence? Any other
suggestions to make the scenario exciting?

"Chipacabra" <chipb@efn.org> wrote in message
> What particular traits should Uru have? I've bumped him up to gargantuan
> size and 17HD, should he have more? Should he have supernatural powers,
> such as damage resistance or some sort or fearful presence? Any other
> suggestions to make the scenario exciting?

Stealth, move silently equivalent, and don't forget just how damn fast Steve
Irwin' s crocs are. Imagine a freight train leaping out of the water and
darting after prey.
Secondly a surprise attack, or something to simulate the party getting
caught flat footed as a freakin bejeezus hugeass monster comes running
straight at them (dragon-style fear?). For flavor, have them roll and "fail"
the first few times, just to amp them up.
Thirdly, have a precursor to the first few attack, and drum it in; i.e.
birds suddenly fall silent, or a low rumbling is felt, then Croc Daddy
springs out. After that, you can have the party jumping like cats every time
you mention "birds" or "rumbling".
This should make you feared and hated for a few weekends.

Ian M

"Ishka Bibble" <x@comcast.net> wrote in

> "Chipacabra" <chipb@efn.org> wrote in message
>> What particular traits should Uru have? I've bumped him up to
>> gargantuan size and 17HD, should he have more? Should he have
>> supernatural powers, such as damage resistance or some sort or
>> fearful presence? Any other suggestions to make the scenario
>> exciting?
>
> Stealth, move silently equivalent, and don't forget just how damn fast
> Steve Irwin' s crocs are. Imagine a freight train leaping out of the
> water and darting after prey.

Hehe. Move silently would be nasty, especially if the only dry path
through the swamp is in a wavy tangled mess, so the croc just swims on
the short path to cut them off. Now, I want to scare them, not kill them,
so I think I'll put the move silently skill somewhere where they'll at
least get a moment's warning at the last second.

> Secondly a surprise attack, or something to simulate the party getting
> caught flat footed as a freakin bejeezus hugeass monster comes running
> straight at them (dragon-style fear?). For flavor, have them roll and
> "fail" the first few times, just to amp them up.

Hmmm. There's a feat in Savage Species that causes fear when the monster
roars, if I recall. I may use that.

> Thirdly, have a precursor to the first few attack, and drum it in;
> i.e. birds suddenly fall silent, or a low rumbling is felt, then Croc
> Daddy springs out. After that, you can have the party jumping like
> cats every time you mention "birds" or "rumbling".
> This should make you feared and hated for a few weekends.

That's not bad. Especially if I have the warnings happen to stop after
they kill the giant croc decoy...

Christopher Adams wrote:
> Chipacabra wrote:
> > What particular traits should Uru have? I've bumped him up to gargantuan
> > size and 17HD, should he have more? Should he have supernatural powers,
> > such as damage resistance or some sort or fearful presence? Any other
> > suggestions to make the scenario exciting?
>
> DR is good - DR 10/- would represent a ridiculously thick and scaly hide, for
> instance. Fearful presence is always good. The paragon template in the Epic
> Level Handbook and the monster of legend template in the Monster Manual II
> are good for inspiration.

Right. DR and fearful presence. Also:
Nauseating Stench from all the rotting stuff stuck between its teeth.
If you base it on Con, as you should, and bump Con along with size, it
should be pretty damn nauseating.
Sundering Bite like the Steel Predators(?) from chewing on thick scaly
hides of other crocs for so long.
Rush like the Tarrasque, to model that train-like first attack.

Silveraxe.

Ahh... but actually, this poison turns you into a zombie-like eating
machine, after it rots your brain. Which give the people who get
swallowed whole something else to worry about as they try to carve
their way back out. }:)

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
The geek with roots in Hell!

Who do you blame when your kid is a - brat?
Pampered and spoiled like a Siamese - cat?
Blaming the kids is a lie and a - shame!
You know exactly who's - to - blame:
The mother and the father!

presto

Distinguished
May 30, 2002

"Silveraxe" <avidroleplayer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Christopher Adams wrote:
> > Chipacabra wrote:
> > > What particular traits should Uru have? I've bumped him up to
gargantuan
> > > size and 17HD, should he have more? Should he have supernatural
powers,
> > > such as damage resistance or some sort or fearful presence? Any other
> > > suggestions to make the scenario exciting?
> >
> > DR is good - DR 10/- would represent a ridiculously thick and scaly
hide, for
> > instance. Fearful presence is always good. The paragon template in the
Epic
> > Level Handbook and the monster of legend template in the Monster Manual
II
> > are good for inspiration.
>
> Right. DR and fearful presence. Also:

Also consider Swallow Whole?

> Nauseating Stench from all the rotting stuff stuck between its teeth.
> If you base it on Con, as you should, and bump Con along with size, it
> should be pretty damn nauseating.

A poison bite like Komodo Dragons have. It isn't poison per se, but a
deadly bacteria that inhabits the Dragon's mouth.

> Sundering Bite like the Steel Predators(?) from chewing on thick scaly
> hides of other crocs for so long.
> Rush like the Tarrasque, to model that train-like first attack.

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:19:14 GMT, "Presto" <donotuse@thisaddress.no>
scribed into the ether:

>"Silveraxe" <avidroleplayer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Christopher Adams wrote:
>gargantuan
>powers,
>> >
>> > DR is good - DR 10/- would represent a ridiculously thick and scaly
>hide, for
>> > instance. Fearful presence is always good. The paragon template in the
>Epic
>> > Level Handbook and the monster of legend template in the Monster Manual
>II
>> > are good for inspiration.
>>
>> Right. DR and fearful presence. Also:
>
>Also consider Swallow Whole?

Crocs can't chew, so this seems appropriate. I doubt that a gargantuan size
creature is going to need to employ the death spin that real crocs use to
get chunks off of prey.

>> Nauseating Stench from all the rotting stuff stuck between its teeth.
>> If you base it on Con, as you should, and bump Con along with size, it
>> should be pretty damn nauseating.
>

>A poison bite like Komodo Dragons have. It isn't poison per se, but a
>deadly bacteria that inhabits the Dragon's mouth.

If you are going to survive the monster itself, then curing any disease it
leaves behind would be trivial. It would add flavor, but wouldn't do much
else.

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:37:55 -0700, Ishka Bibble wrote:

> "Chipacabra" <chipb@efn.org> wrote in message
>> What particular traits should Uru have? I've bumped him up to gargantuan
>> size and 17HD, should he have more? Should he have supernatural powers,
>> such as damage resistance or some sort or fearful presence? Any other
>> suggestions to make the scenario exciting?
>
> Stealth, move silently equivalent, and don't forget just how damn fast Steve
> Irwin' s crocs are. Imagine a freight train leaping out of the water and
> darting after prey.

One thing that would be good either as a demonstration, or a surprise for
a cocky party: A croc can do a vertical leap from the water such that the
tailtip clears the surface.

Now, grandpa could only pull this in the deepest parts of the swamp, but
imagine the looks on the players faces when the intro involves him
snatching the blue right out of the air.

--
Phoenix

"Presto" <donotuse@thisaddress.no> wrote in message
> "Silveraxe" <avidroleplayer@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Nauseating Stench from all the rotting stuff stuck between its teeth.
>> If you base it on Con, as you should, and bump Con along with size, it
>> should be pretty damn nauseating.
>

> A poison bite like Komodo Dragons have. It isn't poison per se, but a
> deadly bacteria that inhabits the Dragon's mouth.

Nah, the flocks of Rocs fly down to pick the pieces out of his teeth. This
is one big lizard, remember?

Glenn D.

TRENDING THREADS