Bill Allows Obama Power to Shut Down Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If i was CEO of Verizon (or any internet provider) and the government told me to shut it down, id have a simple and fast response of "F_uck you, ill run my business the way i want to and it'll be a cold day in hell before i let you screw it up".

I'll just put it this way. If a bill like this had been passed under Bill Clinton and then Bush used it when he got into power would you regret it? Hey, a Republican will unfortunately get into office again eventually, and worst case it's the Alaskan soccer mom. Honestly I'm not as worried about Obama using this power as those whom may come after him. That is why Presidential power must be limited in the first place.

basedv

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
This is way to much power for one man to be given. First he's requesting CEO's resign in the auto industry. Granted they should because they have manged the companies poorly. Now we want to grant him power to turn off the Internet correct me if I'm wrong but I think I pay for my Internet access not the President of the United States or other taxpayers. We are starting to move closer to a dictatorship if we continue to allow this to go on!!!!!

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Our economy would crumble if the internet is turned off. First off, stock trading is done 99.99% online now, even from brokers, so there went that.....nevermind the massive amount of revenue that moves around at online sites (newegg alone does over 1 billion dollars a year). And of course, this is ignoring the flagrant disregard for the first ammendment. If people dont want to get attacked online, unplug your computer from the internet, it is NOT required for computer operation, it is voluntary. We dont need the government to wipe your ass either do we?

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
guess someone may actually beat the internet. and the last guy will be the US political system? i always thought it would be something cool. like a dragon or something...

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]I'll just put it this way. If a bill like this had been passed under Bill Clinton and then Bush used it when he got into power would you regret it?[/citation]

LOL. The irony is that Hillary was the first to say "can't we ban the Internet news?" when Clinton's affair and sperm stain spread like wildfire before the printed/TV media could do anything about it ;-)

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Hmmm....

[citation][nom]basedv[/nom]This is way to much power for one man to be given. [/citation]

...You do realize this man makes the call to go to war with another country right? Seems a little bit more power than "shutting down the internet".

Guys, what in the world are you getting huffed up about. No where does it say "President Obama is planning to shut down the internet". Communism, dictatorship, can we say "holy over-reaction Batman"! This is a security move and nothing more for the moment. To technically "shut down" the 'net would require a lot more resources that the US has (given that is called the internet, not the USnet). The talks seem to stem from the Conficker paranoia. Their mode of think is that virus are becoming more, for lack of a better word, refined. Really think that any American business would allow the 'net to go down. Imagine if you could no longer buy anything online. In comes recession number 2. Imagine if the retailers could no longer advertise online. You think the auto industry in Detroit was fragile, wait to you can't buy anything from California online....

I just love how people are attacking Obama and HE DIDN'T EVEN COME UP WITH THE FREAKING BILL! It was just that a bill from the Senate. Not even voted on yet. A proposal...yet Obama is the boogeyman who is going to take your precious toys...oh my. The guy has been in office 3 MONTHS and yet, let some people tell it, you'd think he's been in office the last 8 years (who was the guy by the way?). Got love opinions though....

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]red_star_77[/nom]There is no single point where you could shut down Internet[/citation]
No but there are a few key ones. Cut the international pipes and only national traffic stays up. Force the ISPs to shut down their systems and your whole country is screwed. An easier option is to simply disable all DNS, although that won't stop everyone, just most people.

Makes me glad to be in Australia where we will only get the Internet filtered :lol:

hercules

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
He can only block American severs cant he? stuff that end in .us? or am i mistaken? I cant see how he can block an Australian server that is hosted and run in Australia

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]rdawise[/nom]The guy has been in office 3 MONTHS and yet, let some people tell it, you'd think he's been in office the last 8 years (who was the guy by the way?). Got love opinions though....[/citation]
You know it's easy to blame high-profile politicians for everything. Politicians are usually at fault, but it's often the ones who's names nobody knows. So everyone goes for the head of the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.