Bill Gates Gladly Admits That He's a Geek, And His Kids Are Still Banned From Ap

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Microsoft is an abusive company. They have used their monopoly position to make hundreds of billions. After stealing money from you and me, Bill gives part of it away part of the money to charity. Somehow this makes him great.

Microsoft is a company that totally lacks innovation. They have always relied on copying other companies and buying companies. Not even DOS manage Microsoft to invent. You need to think hard to list 5 things that Microsoft invented.

I am so happy that MS finally is going away. Google and Apple are finally liberating us from Microsoft poor products.

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]It is expected to ban apple products with bill gates. why buy from the competition?[/citation]

You do know that Bill quit Microsoft over 10 years ago?

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]OK if this is going to gravitate around paranoid NWO fantasies just GTFO right now, i'm sick to the back teeth of hearing about it. When anyone does a good thing there's always some goddam pinhead thinking there's a conspiracy - to do what? Save lives? Hand out vaccines? Contribute to the world's most vulnerable?Go buy a Greenpeace badge and STFU.[/citation]

Instead of throwing up snide remarks, why not argue back with viable counterpoints? If you read between the line, there are alot of good resources out there that make good points. Read about Bilderberg. Why would so many elite rich people want to have a secret meeting? Read about the origins of planned parenthood and Margaret Sanger and some of her views. Read about Gates dumping his PE stock. Did he realize his mistake or just get caught? GMO crops? All of his philanthropies seem to walk the controversial line. I don't necessarily buy into all the accusations, but I also don't buy good stuff either.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]shompa[/nom]Microsoft is an abusive company. They have used their monopoly position to make hundreds of billions. After stealing money from you and me, Bill gives part of it away part of the money to charity. Somehow this makes him great. Google and Apple are finally liberating us from Microsoft poor products.[/citation]
Can you tell me, rough numbers, how much money Apple and Google have given to charity?
Such a stupid flawed arguement.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Instead of throwing up snide remarks, why not argue back with viable counterpoints? If you read between the line, there are alot of good resources out there that make good points. Read about Bilderberg. Why would so many elite rich people want to have a secret meeting? Read about the origins of planned parenthood and Margaret Sanger and some of her views. Read about Gates dumping his PE stock. Did he realize his mistake or just get caught? GMO crops? All of his philanthropies seem to walk the controversial line. I don't necessarily buy into all the accusations, but I also don't buy good stuff either.[/citation]
I am not getting into this whole NWO debate again because the last time I did I must have wasted hundreds of hours argueing with someone who was as open to debate as an Al-Qaida suicide bomber.
You are all mad, stop it!

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]shompa[/nom]Microsoft is an abusive company. They have used their monopoly position to make hundreds of billions. After stealing money from you and me, Bill gives part of it away part of the money to charity. Somehow this makes him great.[/citation]
Bingo, it's very easy to give money to charity when you're a billionaire, yet people overlook this when piling on the praise. If I donated five bucks to charity it would have about the same effect on my finances as Bill's donations make to him, but I quite rightly wouldn't be hailed as some kind of saint for it and put on the cover of Time Magazine.

Giving your surplus cash to charity later in life doesn't compensate for you being an asshole for the greater part of it, in my opinion. I mean, it's great that he's helping alleviate poverty etc. but he's still a smug, greedy prick (if you read anything about Gates' history, you'll know the reasons why, it's not just because he made a lot of money).

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
"Apple are finally liberating us".. Really you mean charging us for old hardware and calling it new.. Really? Get a clue..

Now as far as google.. I do love our new overlords.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]lol, if i was given 10 million in cash I wouldn't have to work another day in my life, nor go to school.[/citation]

Pretty much. As long as you were a practical, non-drug-addict, you'd be fine.

Invest the money in an OBSCENE secure fashion, or just use a high-yield savings account (maybe a better option exists, but I don't know of one off the top of my head as finances aren't my forte)

You could live just off the interest.

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Bill Gates is the most decent person I have ever heard of who has ridiculous wealth. He does more for the world then most modernized countries. Good for him to raise his kids the way he does.

I work at a non profit and money is tight sometimes and all i can say is Microsoft hears our cries for donations and Apple laughs at us whenever we have submitted any requests for technology.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
The reality is he should promote learning high tech skills for his children. Giving them a "do it all for you" product will not allow them to progress in a technologically intelligent way.

Notice he's said nothing about them using an UNIX based products?

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]and people wonder why Billy is considered a Saint and Stevie is like the Devil in so many people's eyes........[/citation]

You have to remember how he got his incredible wealth. He got it by abusing a monopoly. He became the richest man in the world by selling desktop operating systems while nobody else made any money from operating systems.

Bill Gates is obviously a great human being and we would have all done then same, if we had been in his situation, but Microsoft is still extremely unlikeable.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]If they are using a Windows tablet, they are absolutely deprived children.[/citation]

Because all the kids in the world without a tablet at all are deprived... No.

You should probably rethink what you just said.

Memoscorp

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]lol, if i was given 10 million in cash I wouldn't have to work another day in my life, nor go to school.[/citation]

Forget 10 million, even 1 million would be enough for me. I don't spend much.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]btw...I thought it was given AND old news that Gates' kids don't have Apple products AND they have to work for themselves...and so what people calls him geek, nerd, weirdo, ect....he's a RICH geek, nerd, weirdo, ect...and too many people, especially the descendents of the affluent family, think they somehow deserve from the works of their previous generation when all they have is the family name...good for Gates to make their children work for living instead of living off the family fortune...[/citation]

im just thinking about a family business here. but if your parents kicked off, and you got nothing but a lol work it for yourself, you would be pretty @#$^ed off

granted we are talking about 100k-2m here, not 50 some billion.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]malmental[/nom]QUESTION:But wasn't the entire windows concept built on DOS that he basically stole for a minimal sum of money from the developing company and then stomped them out of business.? they couldn't even take him to court and get a fair amount.?If indeed that's (I'm asking because I do not know myself, only hearsay. Someone please clear it up for me) true then I will not like him even with all his charity work.. it's probably charity work because of all the people and businesses he crushed along the way and his conscious is getting at his old ass.[/citation]

so a business should roll over and take it if they cant beat competition?

even if that is true, getting a compediters program for cheap means they see no value in it, and he did. they failed because he did it better. should we not like him because he was damn good at what he did?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]I wouldn't be so quick to put Bill on a pedestal as so many posters seem to be doing. Dig around the internet on his relations with Bilderberg, eugenics, planned parenthood, Pacific Ethanol and biofuels, GMO crops, vaccine research, and even the fact he change his money to Euros (that has to say something about what he thinks of America).[/citation]

that the dollar is losing value and no one has a clue how to not spend such @#$% tons of cash, that we are in such big debt that if china wanted to, they could kill us economicialy?

if i had any great sum of money i would take it out of the dollar too, why take the risk?

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]plznote[/nom]It's great he does not spoil his children.[/citation]
Because 10 million dollars plus probably getting them everything they want outside of Apple products, and completely paying for their education isn't spoiling. I'd like to live in whatever world that is where that's not spoiling.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]And you would probably end up like this bit of human flotsam.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micha [...] ry_winner)Rich or poor, you should always aspire to do more.[/citation]

with 10 million you can live your whole life like you make 100k a year, more than most people make, though thats assumeing you make it to 100.

and in 10 or so years, their is always some stock that if you notice it, you can get it cheap before it takes off.

when i was 10-14, i forget exact age, i wanted apple stock, because i KNEW ipod was going to take off when a computer illiterate wanted one. i had 20000$ in ge stock at the time, and parents wouldn't take stock out no mater what. point being i could be a multi million air now, if my parents weren't so retarded

i would have gained i would have made close to 200k in apple stock, move it over to google for probably another 400-1mill, than moved it back to apple for another 2-3million.

im far from stupid, i just never had a chance... and when i did... no ability to get in on it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]You have to remember how he got his incredible wealth. He got it by abusing a monopoly. He became the richest man in the world by selling desktop operating systems while nobody else made any money from operating systems.Bill Gates is obviously a great human being and we would have all done then same, if we had been in his situation, but Microsoft is still extremely unlikeable.[/citation]

how did they become a monoply? they were the best... i believe thats the casue.

government made damn sure they didn't abuse that power either. yea, they have more money so can make a competing product in almost any field, or buy up things they think are great ideas.

you see where this is going? why is microsoft seen as bad?

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Bill Gates bought DOS from a company that didn't have a real marketable use for it. He did not "steal it" or run them out of business. They had no business. After he bought it he developed it into what we now think of as an OS.

As for Microsoft being a monopoly, they also drove computer software development for the last 2 decades. In the long run, I believe the good they've done for desktop computing far outweighs the bad. Plus they lost some anti-trust cases and are now constantly getting sued by law firms exploiting the shitty nature of patent law.

Microsoft might be a bloated company now, but when you look at desktop computing, they DID start it all. And Gates was the visionary driving them. There are so many incredibly greedy and self-serving rich people that I find it hard to look down on him for a being a good businessman, and now a good human being.

spda242

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
So, Apple products are so good so he has banned his kids from using them!!!

I rather live on My well not so bad IT-salary than have 10 million and are forced to live in a Microsoft hell with Zune, Wndows mobile 6.5 (until recently), Vista and ...shivers... a Win7 tablet. That must be so close to hell on earth as possible!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.