[SOLVED] BIOS boot-loop after adding RAM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2021
Hello! I am new to the Tom's forums because I have a problem I cannot seem to solve. Below is the short version of the problem, a description of what I have done so far, and my PC components.

Short version of problem: I wanted to upgrade from 16GB to 32GB of DDR4 RAM. I have been using 16GB(2x8) of ram without any problem for the past few months. I decided to purchase the identical RAM (re-ordered same RAM from Amazon using my previous purchases). I installed the RAM into the two open DIMM slots and my PC continuously boots to the BIOS even after clicking save and exit BIOS. It recognizes the 32GB of RAM and doesn't have any errors. Below I will explain what I did and maybe this will help solve the issue

How I installed RAM leading up to problem:
1.) I shutdown the PC, then flipped the PSU switch to off. I did not unplug the PSU from the wall socket.
2.) I then inserted the two new sticks of 8GB RAM and ensured they were seated properly.
3.) I then flipped the PSU switch back on, and booted up the PC.
4.) A message came up that said the memory settings have been changed and then Prompted me to hit F1 to go to setup or F2 to continue. I selected go to setup.
5.) The BIOS screen came up and asked what type of CPU Cooler I was using. I selected Tower cooler from the three options (water, tower, or stock cooler). I then looked to see if the 32GB of RAM was recognized and they were. I clicked exit at the top and exited with saving.
6.) The PC booted back to the BIOS and continued to do so after about 4 to 5 attempts at rebooting.
7.) I then powered off the PC, flipped the PSU to off, then unplugged the PSU and all HDMI, USB, Ethernet ETC cords from the computer and reset the CMOS and waited 10 minutes.
8.) I plugged it all back in and booted up again. It said defaults have been restored and sent me back to the BIOS. It still recognized the 32GB of RAM. I exited the BIOS and the same BIOS boot loop happened 4 or 5 times.
9.) I then powered down and unplugged again, and took out the new 8GB sticks of RAM leaving only the original 2 that were working previously, then reset the CMOS again.
10.) I plugged it all back in and booted up again. It said defaults have been restored and it sent me back to the BIOS. It recognized the 16GB of RAM. I exited the BIOS and the same BIOS boot loop happened 4 or 5 times.
11.) At this point every piece of hardware is the same as prior when it was working but it will not boot to windows.

I have looked at other posts in this forum to see if any matched my problem and any suggestions did not help.
Please advise! (or tell me if you need any additional info!)

Components:
MOBO - MSI MAG z490
CPU - Intel Core i5-10600K Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.8 GHz Unlocked LGA1200 (Intel 400 Series Chipset) 125W
Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory (4 sticks total)

Solution
With all what you did when and after you installed your new RAM you may have corrupted your Bios. It would be best to update or reflash your Bios.
Please also list your full system specs to be able to assist better to include the PSU and RAM SKU or P/N.

Also your i5-10600K supports up to 2666Mhz. You may need to manually enter SPD values manually in bios as there may not be an XMP (extended memory profile) for easy Overclocking. It will also be reliant on the strength of the IMC to get to your rated frequency.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
1) Try doing an hardware check in your Bios.

2) Try taking out your new RAM then booting it up. See if problem still persist.

3) If problem doesn't persist, then try switching your OLD ram with your NEW ram. If the problem is back again then its likely to be the RAM slots.

If so then try to identify which is faulty slot or whether both of them are by taking one out then booting the next one. Then again with the other slot.

Aug 4, 2021
@chaoyang

1.) I will try the hardware check when I get home, thanks!
2.) I took out the new RAM and left only the prior 2 sticks of RAM that worked previously. It still boot loops.
3.) I also tried using just the new RAM and the problem still persists.
I also tried using 1 stick of RAM in the A2 DIMM slot, problem still persists.

Aug 4, 2021
@chaoyang The hardware check seemed fine, it found everything. One thing I noticed is that when I restart and press F11 to go to the boot menu, it doesn't give me any options to boot from any of the hard drives I have., although, the system settings are showing that the Hard Drives are there. Maybe the issue is related to this and not the RAM now? not sure how I affected this with installing the RAM (if i did)

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Alright,
@chaoyang The hardware check seemed fine, it found everything. One thing I noticed is that when I restart and press F11 to go to the boot menu, it doesn't give me any options to boot from any of the hard drives I have., although, the system settings are showing that the Hard Drives are there. Maybe the issue is related to this and not the RAM now? not sure how I affected this with installing the RAM (if i did)
Strange, try inserting any USB and see if the boot window will detect the USB or not.

With all what you did when and after you installed your new RAM you may have corrupted your Bios. It would be best to update or reflash your Bios.
Please also list your full system specs to be able to assist better to include the PSU and RAM SKU or P/N.

Also your i5-10600K supports up to 2666Mhz. You may need to manually enter SPD values manually in bios as there may not be an XMP (extended memory profile) for easy Overclocking. It will also be reliant on the strength of the IMC to get to your rated frequency.

Last edited:
Solution

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I doubt BIOS is corrupted, You wouldn't get to BIOS at all. Ask me how I know.
Try CMOS reset (pull power, short the 2 pins for 10 secs, no need to pull every cable) and then enter BIOS, turn off Fast Boot, turn on XMP, try with 1, 2 sticks. Then 4 if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS