Bios doesn't alwaysrecognize IBM Deskstar 75GXP...

void

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
So I just bought a new IBM Deskstar 75GXP harddisk, and my bios doesn't always recognize the disk. This happens when I turn on my computer on the morning. Bios just doesn't detect the disk and the boot sector cannot be found. After I reboot the computer everything works fine. So does anyone know what's the problem?

G

I have a Seagate barracuda II 30GB drive which was refurbed by Seagate because the original died on me. I have a similar problem in which my drive isn't properly detected when I do a cold boot. I don't know exactly why this happens, but I fixed this problem by changing my bios setting to manually detect the drive.

G

I have run into this problem occasionally with some drives and motherboards. The problem I found was that the drive was still powering up and initializing, therefore when the computer is in a cold boot and you reset the computer the drive is now spinning and powered up. In the BIOS of most motherboards you have an option for IDE Hard Disk delay. This allows the harddisks to completely power up before the BIOS attempts to boot. Give the harddisk about a 2 second delay and see if this solves it. You might also try a different power connector out of you power supply. Sometimes the available amperage to each power lead is not equal, plus the initial power up of the drive is when the drive will need more power. This may also be a sign of a weak power supply for you if you have a high power CPU and many accessories inside you computer.

void

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
Still not starting up properly. So, could it really be caused by weak power supply? I have 250W power supply, Duron 800Mhz + Titan TTC-D3TB processorfan, 80mm x 80mm fan, ATI Radeon SDR, SB Live!, ISDN-card, Quantum 7,6gb, Creative 52x cd-rom and Abit KT7.

G

Yes it could.. if you are using a generic 250W p/s, it might even be a real possability with that system. It's why the Athlon/Duron processors have had a suggest p/s list from their beginning.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***