Question Bios settings reset on cold boot

Schnief

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
Hi everyone! I switched out some hardware (CPU, GPU and PSU) a few weeks ago and have been getting strange behavior on cold boots. I will start with a general description and then say what I think is happening.

The Problem
  1. The indicator lights will flash and I hear the fans powering up
  2. That process abruptly cuts off (sounds like a power cut) and all lights and sounds stop
  3. Without me doing anything after about 1-2 seconds, the lights and sounds come back and I am prompted to enter Bios setup due to CPU fan error
  4. The CPU fan error is expected because the fan spins at a low rpm, below the default Q-Fan control setting. I address this in the bios settings by selecting 'ignore' on CPU fan speed, but it seems that this setting is lost after every cold boot. All other bios settings are kept on default, no overclocking.
  5. PC boots up fine after that, no issues with warm boot whatsoever (settings are remembered and no issues on POST)

Possible causes
  1. System is failing one (or more) system checks, the mainboard reverts back to default settings. Problem with this: if some hardware is defective, why does it only happen on cold boot?
  2. CMOS battery is low and settings are not saved. Problem with this: why are other things like the clock not affected?

So you can see, both explanations don't really make sense to me. Anyone have other ideas and advice?

Specs
Mainboard: Asus Gryphon Z87
Processor: Intel i7 4970k (Haswell, Socket 1150 LGA)
RAM: 4x 4GB Kingston PC3 12800 (800 Mhz, DDR3)
Graphics card: GIGABYTE AORUS Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 11 800W

Schnief

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015

Schnief

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
Update: Just a quick note for everyone with similar issues, I think I found the problem. Two bent socket pins are probably responsible for the trouble, will confirm with a different mainboard in a few days and post results.

Oct 20, 2019
Update: Just a quick note for everyone with similar issues, I think I found the problem. Two bent socket pins are probably responsible for the trouble, will confirm with a different mainboard in a few days and post results.
Hello sir...i have exact same problem i wonder what causes this annoying problem..if you solved it please tell me what i must do to solve it?
Much appreciated