Question BIOS update problems, is the motherboard bricked ?

Sep 14, 2023
Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming

I wanted to update my current bios (F3) to the most recent one (F65), but when updating it didn't work. I then looked up and found that I needed to update to F31 before doing so. Afterwards, I use the Q-Flash utility in the BIOS to do so and then after it finished, it restarted the PC like bios updates always do. The main issue is that it after turning on (the fans spin and show lights on the motherboard & GPU), there is no post, no bios shows, keyboard & mouse do not light up.
I got the bios file straight from its website, so I do not why this is happening as it makes no sense to me. I have checked multiple other posts on reddit & TomsHardware to try and solve this.
What I have done so far:
  • Shut it down, then hold the power button until it starts & turns off again and then finally press the power button (this was supposed to start the backup bios, but did nothing), this post also had another method to also hold the reset button, but my case does not have one.
  • Turn on the PC with 1 stick of ram in different slots.
  • Removed CMOS battery for at least 10 minutes.
-Touched the CLR_CMOS pins for at least 10 seconds.
-Tried to boot with a Ryzen 5 1600.
I got this board 2nd hand, so I don't have any warranty just as an fyi.
I also read some things about trying to flashback the bios or dual bios topics, but I don't know if this applies to my motherboard.
Again, I updated it like countless other bios updates I have done before, so I have no idea what is going on and what to see if this is recoverable.
Any potential tips on how to proceed? Or is it bricked?
Thanks for reading.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
What CPU were you running before? Some B450 and X470 boards only supported Zen 1 and 2 with the legacy BIOS versions, and Zen 3 with beta or later versions that couldn't support Zen 1 and 2. Something to do with the flash memory / eprom on these chipsets not being big enough to store the required BIOS data for all CPU versions.

It's not clear on the support website, but it looks like the cutoff is somewhere around version F61.

There's a possibility that you can't roll back to a previous BIOS version. But it might work with a Zen 3 processor (e.g. R5 5600) if you have one lying around...

Postscript. Check out this thread.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023
What CPU were you running before? Some B450 and X470 boards only supported Zen 1 and 2 with the legacy BIOS versions, and Zen 3 with beta or later versions that couldn't support Zen 1 and 2. Something to do with the flash memory / eprom on these chipsets not being big enough to store the required BIOS data for all CPU versions.

It's not clear on the support website, but it looks like the cutoff is somewhere around version F61.

There's a possibility that you can't roll back to a previous BIOS version. But it might work with a Zen 3 processor (e.g. R5 5600) if you have one lying around...

Postscript. Check out this thread.
I updated the bios while using a Ryzen 5 2600, after all this happening, I tried booting it with a Ryzen 5 1600 and nothing has changed.

When I try to boot, there is a light on the DRAM on the bottom left of the motherboard that lights up. I have switched out the RAM kits to test, but still keeps occurring.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
What I’m saying is you might have (possibly irreversibly) updated to a bios that doesn’t work with Ryzen 1xxx and 2xxx series. In which case it might work with 3xxx and 5xxx series if you plug one in.

Sep 14, 2023
What I’m saying is you might have (possibly irreversibly) updated to a bios that doesn’t work with Ryzen 1xxx and 2xxx series. In which case it might work with 3xxx and 5xxx series if you plug one in.
Oh dang, that's even possible? You said the cutoff point is somwhere around F61 right? The bios I went to update to, which caused all this, was F31 though. Would this still be the case? If so, I'll see if I can get my hands on a Zen 3 cpu to test this.