Question Bios update required for new ram?

Jul 14, 2023
Hello! Quick question,

I am updating from 16gb of 2133mhz ram to 32 gbs of 4000mhz ram on a b450 tomahawk max. I have never updated the bios before (and am kind of terrified of updating bios) and was wondering if it was going to be required to run at this speed. I have not found anything online that would imply that it is required for compatibility, but I am scared of bricking my system accidentally.

Also, are there any settings I am going to have to change in bios in order to make these run at intended speeds (I don't really know much about xmp profiles)?

Thank you so much!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello! Quick question,

I am updating from 16gb of 2133mhz ram to 32 gbs of 4000mhz ram on a b450 tomahawk max. I have never updated the bios before (and am kind of terrified of updating bios) and was wondering if it was going to be required to run at this speed. I have not found anything online that would imply that it is required for compatibility, but I am scared of bricking my system accidentally.

Also, are there any settings I am going to have to change in bios in order to make these run at intended speeds (I don't really know much about xmp profiles)?

Thank you so much!
Nobody can answer that.
A lot depends on your processor.
Some BIOS updates are for improved memory support.