BioWare's Founding Doctors Are Retiring from Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Thanks for KOTOR and the original Mass Effect. Brilliant games.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Probably for the best, considering how things have been going for BioWare once EA finally sunk their fangs into them. But they did produce some awesome games back in the day.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I wonder if they just got fed up with EA's meddling with their baby. Bioware hardly resembles the company who dished out classic after classic years ago (and this is coming from somebody who liked the much maligned DA2, ME3, and to a lesser extent, SWTOR)

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I wonder what this says about the larger industry as a whole, when publishers snatch up developers one by one and create an environment where people who are doing the job they love feel like they can't continue in that field any more.

On the other hand, if the founders had been growing weary of running the company, it makes sense that they'd cash out by selling bioware to EA before leaving.

Both propositions are equally disgusting in my opinion. Everyone would have been better off taking bioware public and having a board run the company. At least then, it would have cost EA a fortune to devour the soul of another developer.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
" so they developed a team of people who would ensure their standards and culture would endure. We’ll humbly carry that torch and continue learning in the process."

I cant stop laughing at this part. Really? 2 guys found one of greatest game studios ever and then they pass it to some overweight writer whos obsessed about homosexuality. Oh well, thats a one way to put it.

Thanks for KOTOR, DA:O, Mass Effect, as well as some of the other smaller games I enjoyed along the way like Jade Empire. The last few years have been rough... but we know it was EA's doing, and not yours.

You guys really defined your own genera of games, bringing elements of the old 'choose your own story' books I enjoyed as a kid, with RPG elements and mechanics, and you will be remembered for it.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Dragon Age: Origins was the last true Bioware game. You can tell when EA took over. And no DA: O was already too far in development for EA to affect it much.

Well, as if ME3, DA2 and SW:TOR weren't enough for me to say enough with Bioware, this seals it.

Dragh0n

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Thanks for all the games! From Baldur's Gate to the present. Most were great and some were OK but I have never played a bad Bioware game. You kids have fun in your next adventures.

bigman8291

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
I love the story behind how these guys got their start. I will be starting Med School next fall and have a strong passion for video games. Maybe one day....one day

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Good Riddance. I'll get downvoted into oblivion for sure, but Dr. Muzyka put his name on that slap in the face of a blog post and I hold him partially responsible for what his company participated in.

Honestly, a violation of contract should have been the better option than allowing EA to speak through him the way they did.

I'm not a healthy individual; I hold a grudge. Not often, but when I do it sticks. The media slanders the fans and Bioware doesn't even mention it. Worse it agrees with it by adopting the same argument. You cannot tell me that was all EA because every 'crime' of this style require complicity.

I would of spoken out and taken the obligatory firing. But both the Drs. and most of the staff chose not to (the solitary exception I know of being Patrick Weekes).

Strangely enough EA's position I can understand. They're a corporation. That means their sole motivator is making money as much as they can. Siding with the press is perfectly reasonable for a corporation. Disgusting, but not to the same degree.

We trusted Bioware like we never trusted EA. We saw them when they took fan feedback and we loved that about them. We recognized that they as a company cared about making games their fans would enjoy. We expected correspondence and received silence. We expected compassion and received cruelty.

Bioware is dead to me because of the way they handled the ending, not because of the ending.

G

I highly doubt them will stay away.They will like Richard Garriott come back and form up another studio few years down the road and make games. Once the studio become successful, they will sell that studio for a lot of money.

I remember when core group of Everqest team left and form new studio cus they had enough of Sony. Them made vanguard however vanguard end up published by sony than few years down the road them sold the right to Sony.

kungpaoshizi

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
IIRC BW seemed to always make the development of a game a downward spiral.
I remember EA has always been better quality and "nicer" to the clients.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
These guys sold out to EA when they shouldn't have. One of them even admits he isn't as passionate anymore and that reflects on the newer games and probably on their decisions. That's alright though, they created some of the best RPGs ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.