BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newmember27

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
I haven't played since the beta and this might actually encourage me to play. Only got to around level 15.
I blame EA for bioware's lack of success here recently...

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
yes! they had fail as a wow killer!!! f2p in your face EA... i'm so happy! i just wish to be alive to see apple falling on its knees imploring microsoft google and samsung to spare some change!

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I predict waves and waves of frustrating game-killing DLC... Half-baked games that feel less substantial than good old fashioned 50$ titles, even after dropping 100$ into virtual goods and perks.

I fear we are entering a dark age of gaming...

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
GW2 uses both F2P and Initial purchase model.

So if you have a full time job you can use their jem shops to buy jems with real $$ that convert to gold that allow you to buy gear from auction houses.

If you are free, you do no have to buy jems and go straight away

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Reminds me of HG:L payment model, where some content was locked if you didn't subscribe, but you could still play the whole game ( on and offline ) without paying. I didn't mind, because I liked the game, but I remember other people complaining about it.

Damn, I miss that game. More fun than D3, even with all the bugs and problems it had.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
F2P should have no locked content. They should just sell vanity items or convenience items like XP boosts and bonus gold drop, but not to the point that it is necessary to get XP boosts items to reach the max level. Maybe items that would allow you to change your toon's name or items that give you an extra vault or extra inventory bag. Items that increase your chance of successfully crafting high level items or items that decrease the chance of breaking your stuff when upgrading.

League of Legends is still my favorite F2P game.

G

I subscribed for the first month, but then didn't play enought to justify the subscription... with the F2P I will probably get back into it...

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]GW2 uses both F2P and Initial purchase model. So if you have a full time job you can use their jem shops to buy jems with real $$ that convert to gold that allow you to buy gear from auction houses.If you are free, you do no have to buy jems and go straight away[/citation]

Please do some research. In PvP everyone has all skills unlocked and max stat weapons. Yes that mean a level 1 has the same skills, weapons, and armor as a level 80 character. Unlike other games where max gear is hard to obtain, in GW2 it's very easy. As in the first game, 90% of players had max stat weapons and armor in PvE when they got to max level. It's no different in the second game. If you have max in a crafting discipline, you can literally make thousands of max gear items with almost no effort. You're also forgetting that you can turn in-game gold to gems. That means you can buy character slots and bag slots without ever paying for them with real money.

In GW2 the only use of real money is that it is a time saver. Everything that can be bought with real money can also be bought with in-game gold. The game is also designed around not having to pay real money.

My final point is that a game is not F2P if you had to buy the game first. Playing $60 is not free any way you look at it. Do you call Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, or Skyrim F2P games? No. I don't see where you're pulling this F2P stuff from. B2P would be a more accurate term.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]shinmalothar[/nom]The game is great but its suffering from a over saturated declining market. WoW is still successful in the subscription model becuase of its heritage. People continue to play WoW because they have already invested so much time and money in it. People are not willing to start a new subscription MMO when the free to play market is getting better all the time (or they have already spent a fortune on WoW).SWTOR is definitely worth playing in a free model and once it has matured and been suplemented by more content it should become a very comprehensive MMO.[/citation]

+1, i for one have my wow subscription, i haven't played in months but i still pay for it as i liek being able to sometimes go on and pvp... granted i am playing panda beta when i can but my regular wow toons are all but obsolite

G

F2P is a myth. "F2P" games are actually Pay-to-Win (P2W). As another poster mentioned, you will end up spending a lot more money in F2P games, than you will in a standard subscription game. What's worse, F2P games also typically give you less content and terrible service. Not to mention that these games tend to be full of bots and cheaters. Many often say: "its F2P! You get what you pay for!" - except that you are really paying more for inferior quality service compared to the subscription games.

I'm not saying that F2P is necessarily bad. The F2P model can be done right. However, few companies do it properly and the game usually ends up being a flop. This is usually due to the company's own greed and lack of experience.

I'm someone who has played many MMOs for years, both subscription and F2P, I can tell you that subscription games are almost always higher quality, have better service, and cost you less in the long run.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]ivebeenpostingalotlately[/nom]F2P is a myth. "F2P" games are actually Pay-to-Win (P2W). As another poster mentioned, you will end up spending a lot more money in F2P games, than you will in a standard subscription game. What's worse, F2P games also typically give you less content and terrible service. Not to mention that these games tend to be full of bots and cheaters. Many often say: "its F2P! You get what you pay for!" - except that you are really paying more for inferior quality service compared to the subscription games. I'm not saying that F2P is necessarily bad. The F2P model can be done right. However, few companies do it properly and the game usually ends up being a flop. This is usually due to the company's own greed and lack of experience.I'm someone who has played many MMOs for years, both subscription and F2P, I can tell you that subscription games are almost always higher quality, have better service, and cost you less in the long run.[/citation]

depends on the f2p, i htink tribes ascend is doing a f2p fps very well

G

KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC 3 has a Chance to comeback if the Community stops playing this

Status
Not open for further replies.