Question Bitdefender File Vault

Jul 25, 2019
Hi - does anyone have experience of using this?

Can it block files / applications from running (without password) or does it just password protect files?

It's not clear from their website.

Thank you.

D

Deleted member 14196

You can’t block windows system files else windows will not run so get that idea out of your head. You should be more careful not to get viruses and malware in the first place. Do a clean install and change your online habits to good safe ones

Trying to block Cmd is ridiculous. If you could block it windows wouldn’t even run properly

Also you don’t need bit defender or any other crap like that Windows defender is good enough don’t be fooled by what people say around here most antivirus programs stank and cause huge performance problems

Windows defender is built-in and windows firewall is already built-in and your best protection is what resides between your ears

Jul 25, 2019
You can’t block windows system files else windows will not run so get that idea out of your head. You should be more careful not to get viruses and malware in the first place. Do a clean install and change your online habits to good safe ones

Trying to block Cmd is ridiculous. If you could block it windows wouldn’t even run properly

Also you don’t need bit defender or any other crap like that Windows defender is good enough don’t be fooled by what people say around here most antivirus programs stank and cause huge performance problems

Windows defender is built-in and windows firewall is already built-in and your best protection is what resides between your ears

Thanks, I understand what you are saying, an that is true but I was using the windows defender when I had the recent issue. There was a script running in cmd.exe (auto launched in the background on opening chrome) and it was not spotted.

The second I added an AV program it spotted it and blocked it.

I may be going OTT and a bit paranoid but don't want that to happen again (it was a nightmare) and have a rogue program running in the background.

Thank you.

D

Deleted member 14196

Like I said you are the best protection you have and this didn’t just happen. you clicked on something and ran something probably install some software that caused the issue. If anything just add Malwarebytes to Windows defender and you should be fine

Jul 25, 2019
Like I said you are the best protection you have and this didn’t just happen. you clicked on something and ran something probably install some software that caused the issue. If anything just add Malwarebytes to Windows defender and you should be fine

Thanks, is the free version of MWB sufficient or do I need paid?

Also, do I need to worry about it 'clashing' with my AV? (Bitdefender)

D

Deleted member 14196

some get by with just the free version.
also, you have windows defender built in and you also can configure the Ransomware protection feature in Windows 10 now. I don't even use Malwarebytes and never have an issue. I just use the built in features of windows and am careful.

some get by with just the free version.
also, you have windows defender built in and you also can configure the Ransomware protection feature in Windows 10 now. I don't even use Malwarebytes and never have an issue. I just use the built in features of windows and am careful.

Ransomeware protection is pretty good under bitdefender.

But I found if it's configured improperly it will prevent applications from writing to a folder. You can of course white list them, but for applications which constantly update themselves (RobloxStudio) it's a massive headache.