Question Black checkerboard pattern appears sometimes, but not when gaming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcsverige

Reputable
Mar 15, 2021
I recently upgraded from a 1060 to a 3060 and I purchased a new 1440p monitor from ASUS. Lately I have been noticing this checkerboard pattern that will pop up, usually when loading it seems, on certain apps like chrome and steam (steam just happened today)... This hasn't happened in any game that I have played, it only occurs in apps.

I really dont know what to do to fix it and I certainly dont even understand what could be the issue especially if it isnt happening in games ( I play a lot btw). Any suggestions that could help? Before I couldnt really reproduce the issue but on steam, for a few minutes, I was able to. It also isnt frequent at all which is why I can often forget about it until it happens again. Any ideas?

Ryzen 5 3600
ASUS prime b550m-a
ASUS DUAL RTX 3060 12gb OC
Samsung 870evo 1TB (OS is installed here)
Samsung 750evo 250gb (extra storage)
ASUS TUF VG27WQ1B 1440p monitor

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Are you able to capture a screenshot and post the checkerboard pattern image here via imgur (www.imgur.com)?

Does the checkerboard pattern appear on other monitors or just the new 1440 monitor?

Manually download the drivers for the 3060 from the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. (No third party installers or tools.)

Look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or informational events being captured just before or at the times that the checkboard pattern appeared.

Key is to discover some single (hopefully) hardware, cable, software, or configuration condition that you can change to make the checkerboard pattern appear or disappear as you choose.

Reactions: rcsverige

rcsverige

Reputable
Mar 15, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Are you able to capture a screenshot and post the checkerboard pattern image here via imgur (www.imgur.com)?

Does the checkerboard pattern appear on other monitors or just the new 1440 monitor?

Manually download the drivers for the 3060 from the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. (No third party installers or tools.)

Look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or informational events being captured just before or at the times that the checkboard pattern appeared.

Key is to discover some single (hopefully) hardware, cable, software, or configuration condition that you can change to make the checkerboard pattern appear or disappear as you choose.
I edited the post for you

Unfortunately it happens so quickly and randomly that I can never capture it. Thats the issue; its frequency is so rare that it can be difficult to predict when it will happen. Sometimes days go by and I never exprience it or sometimes I experience it once a week despite me using the PC very very often. Like a lot actually

How can I look into reliability history?

I only have this monitor now.... If I hadnt upgraded the GPU also then I would suspect the monitor but unfortunately thats not the case. Are there issues related to 1440p monitors?

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining. (The latter especially if you purchased a used GPU.)

To view Reliability History just enter "Reliability History" in the "Type here to search box" usually located in the lower left screen corner.

Even though the checkerboard patterns are too quick to screen capture, there may be some corresponding entries in Reliability History.

And any given error can be clicked to provide more detailed information. The details/error codes may or may not be helpful.

Reliability History is generally user friendly and the timeline format can show patterns.

Another tool is Event Viewer that can be used in much the same way. Requires more time and effort to work with and understand.

FYI:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Increasing numbers of varying errors are a sign of a faulty, failing PSU.

Some change in power demands, GPU perhaps, that the PSU is unable to immediately respond to.

= = = =

Not aware of any problems per se with the 1440p monitors. The monitor may or may not have its' own drivers. Check the manufacturer's web site, FAQs, and Forums (if any). Look for both what is said and what is "not said".

rcsverige

Reputable
Mar 15, 2021
PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining. (The latter especially if you purchased a used GPU.)

To view Reliability History just enter "Reliability History" in the "Type here to search box" usually located in the lower left screen corner.

Even though the checkerboard patterns are too quick to screen capture, there may be some corresponding entries in Reliability History.

And any given error can be clicked to provide more detailed information. The details/error codes may or may not be helpful.

Reliability History is generally user friendly and the timeline format can show patterns.

Another tool is Event Viewer that can be used in much the same way. Requires more time and effort to work with and understand.

FYI:

Some change in power demands, GPU perhaps, that the PSU is unable to immediately respond to.

= = = =

Not aware of any problems per se with the 1440p monitors. The monitor may or may not have its' own drivers. Check the manufacturer's web site, FAQs, and Forums (if any). Look for both what is said and what is "not said".
shoot im sorry, for some reason I thought I put my PSU up there

I have a Corsair RM 650x
---- It is roughly 2 years old
----- 650w
----- New but now used

Usually I game around 4-6 hours a day but I have put a significant amount of time into gaming over the 2 years I have had this system which originally contained a 1060 6gb until recently.

I did actually run the reliability test and have a few errors related to steam crashing but nothing too crazy. This newer GPU was purchased in January 16th and I have put around 150 hours of gaming on it so far and the rest is school related work. While gaming, I dont ever notice any problems... I have had some crashes but that was the result of modding and incapatibility issues with different mods.

I have noticed however that this issue occurs when I am scrolling down a page where there are a lot of images. The most prevalent site that I have noticed this on is Reddit and scrolling the front page.

Last edited:

Maebius

Splendid
Feb 17, 2017
Besides the previous suggestions,a rtifacts are often like these are often caused by:
-GPU memory overclock <-have you done any? Rare for it to happen on just browsing though.
-Poor cable and/or gpu/monitor port <- have you tried other ports or cables? You should even switch from hdmi to displayport or vice versa, if available
-Freesync on g-sync cards. Try disabling it, if you have it on.

If you try all suggestions, including updating firmware,drivers etc, you can then start to suspect a faulty card or monitor (you can probably test if the monitor is problematic by hooking up your TV and try).

Hope all goes well!

rcsverige

Reputable
Mar 15, 2021

FYI:

= = = =

actually I found a "Application Hang error" on the event viewer around the time of the graphical glitch on Steam.... saying that it stopped interacting with windows and was closed.... I dont know what that means because steam didnt close on me at all this morning. Could that mean something else? The event ID is 1001

rcsverige

Reputable
Mar 15, 2021
Besides the previous suggestions,a rtifacts are often like these are often caused by:
-GPU memory overclock <-have you done any? Rare for it to happen on just browsing though.
-Poor cable and/or gpu/monitor port <- have you tried other ports or cables? You should even switch from hdmi to displayport or vice versa, if available
-Freesync on g-sync cards. Try disabling it, if you have it on.

If you try all suggestions, including updating firmware,drivers etc, you can then start to suspect a faulty card or monitor (you can probably test if the monitor is problematic by hooking up your TV and try).

Hope all goes well!
Hey thanks for reaching out! I appreciate everyones time in helping a inexperienced person like myself
So I never OC simply because I dont feel confident at all that I know enough to do that.

Once I got my GPU I realized that I needed a new monitor to support 165hz (last monitor only had VGA at 144hz and HDMI at like 60hz I believe) so now I utilize the DP port

There is one thing that I didnt think about... My monitor is an ASUS and support Freesync but I have a RTX... I heard that they were compatable now though so I assumed it would be fine

I havent looked into drivers other than my GPU... I really dont understand how to implement new drivers and am pretty scared of doing that for something like my MB

I have not considered moving my cable to a different port... I just assumed that they would all be the same essentially. I actually need to look into that really.

If this only happens with Steam, uninstall it and reinstall it. If you're worried about needing to reinstall your games, assuming you didn't change where they get installed, you can move the "steamapps" folder where you installed Steam to somewhere else first, then put it back when you've reinstalled Steam.

rcsverige

Reputable
Mar 15, 2021
If this only happens with Steam, uninstall it and reinstall it. If you're worried about needing to reinstall your games, assuming you didn't change where they get installed, you can move the "steamapps" folder where you installed Steam to somewhere else first, then put it back when you've reinstalled Steam.
Its not just steam though..... steam is a more recent app that I saw this on. It has primarily occurred on Chrome but on specific websites... Typically websites, it seems, that have a dark background.

rcsverige

Reputable
Mar 15, 2021

FYI:

= = = =

Hey I am actually curious. I have a monitor with DP 1.2
My GPU has DP 1.4a output (x3).... I just realized this now. Could that have an issue??

Its not just steam though..... steam is a more recent app that I saw this on. It has primarily occurred on Chrome but on specific websites... Typically websites, it seems, that have a dark background.
Only while the page is loading or in general? Also which websites?

Hey I am actually curious. I have a monitor with DP 1.2
My GPU has DP 1.4a output (x3).... I just realized this now. Could that have an issue??
This isn't the problem. And cable issues wouldn't cause a checkerboard pattern. Either the entire image arrives or it doesn't.

rcsverige

Reputable
Mar 15, 2021

FYI:

= = = =

sorry to keep replying... It just happened on steam again so I went into Reliability and Event viewer. The reliability showed nothing but the event viewer showed this
Event Viewer

Ralston18

Titan
No concern about the replies. Someone may spot something and post other ideas and suggestions as well.

= = = =

Some bit of buggy or corrupted code perhaps.

Causing the warning every 2 - 3 seconds.

Check Update History for any failed or problem updates just prior to the beginning of the checkerboard's appearences.

= = = =

Run the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Then, if necessary, run "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

= = = =

Permissions - FYI:

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-error-distributedcom-10016/

The next step being to discover what program is trying to get the necessary permissions.

Steam could certainly be involved:

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/discussions/0/6118730946100103734/

How many programs being launched at boot up and/or otherwise being run in the background?

Could also be some other app being launched via Task Scheduler when triggered to do.

[Note: stay out of the registry. That is a very last resort and only with full backups beforehand.]

rcsverige

Reputable
Mar 15, 2021
No concern about the replies. Someone may spot something and post other ideas and suggestions as well.

= = = =

Some bit of buggy or corrupted code perhaps.

Causing the warning every 2 - 3 seconds.

Check Update History for any failed or problem updates just prior to the beginning of the checkerboard's appearences.

= = = =

Run the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Then, if necessary, run "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

= = = =

Permissions - FYI:

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-error-distributedcom-10016/

The next step being to discover what program is trying to get the necessary permissions.

Steam could certainly be involved:

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/discussions/0/6118730946100103734/

How many programs being launched at boot up and/or otherwise being run in the background?

Could also be some other app being launched via Task Scheduler when triggered to do.

[Note: stay out of the registry. That is a very last resort and only with full backups beforehand.]
Hey thanks for you continued help. You are very thorough in your replies so I’m gonna check out all this stuff and get back with you. Just wanted you to know that it is hugely appreciated for such detailed responses and help!

Mar 4, 2023
I recently upgraded from a 1060 to a 3060 and I purchased a new 1440p monitor from ASUS. Lately I have been noticing this checkerboard pattern that will pop up, usually when loading it seems, on certain apps like chrome and steam (steam just happened today)... This hasn't happened in any game that I have played, it only occurs in apps.

I really dont know what to do to fix it and I certainly dont even understand what could be the issue especially if it isnt happening in games ( I play a lot btw). Any suggestions that could help? Before I couldnt really reproduce the issue but on steam, for a few minutes, I was able to. It also isnt frequent at all which is why I can often forget about it until it happens again. Any ideas?

Ryzen 5 3600
ASUS prime b550m-a
ASUS DUAL RTX 3060 12gb OC
Samsung 870evo 1TB (OS is installed here)
Samsung 750evo 250gb (extra storage)
ASUS TUF VG27WQ1B 1440p monitor

This must be a recent thing because I've been getting the exact same issue!

I have a 3060 from Inno3D and recently I've been getting random black incomplete checkerboard patterns over videos and images while using browser and even steam sometimes randomly gives a blank screen to which I have to restart my steam. I have also been getting random restarts/reboots without any error message or bluescreens recently which have been frustrating and playing Apex Legends has been having many issues from stuttering to crashes.

First I thought this was a hard drive issue as its been half a decade of use, but I transferred my apex over to my SSD and there was still problems, and that wouldn't explain the random reboots and visual glitches. Then I thought my PSU as it is just as old as my hard drive. My RAM isn't the problem as I've recently upgraded 2 of the sticks that were causing issues and now I have 48gb of RAM. I have also re-formatted/resetted my whole PC as it was getting too full but I honestly don't know at this point whether to get a new PSU, hard drive, etc.

For now I have used DDU to uninstall my graphics drivers and then reinstalled them independently from the Nvidia website along with performing 'sfc /scannow' in cmd.

If anything I have mentioned is similar to yours perhaps we can get an idea of what might be causing the problem, I'll reply back to this if what I have done has changed anything or not.

Reactions: Davex1555
Mar 4, 2023
btw just to add onto this, I performed a couple of benchmarking/stess tests using HeavyLoad, Userbenchmark and Novabench and the only discrepancy I noticed was my GPU score having a "test failed" next to "Compute" in Novabench.

rcsverige

Reputable
Mar 15, 2021
This must be a recent thing because I've been getting the exact same issue!

I have a 3060 from Inno3D and recently I've been getting random black incomplete checkerboard patterns over videos and images while using browser and even steam sometimes randomly gives a blank screen to which I have to restart my steam. I have also been getting random restarts/reboots without any error message or bluescreens recently which have been frustrating and playing Apex Legends has been having many issues from stuttering to crashes.

First I thought this was a hard drive issue as its been half a decade of use, but I transferred my apex over to my SSD and there was still problems, and that wouldn't explain the random reboots and visual glitches. Then I thought my PSU as it is just as old as my hard drive. My RAM isn't the problem as I've recently upgraded 2 of the sticks that were causing issues and now I have 48gb of RAM. I have also re-formatted/resetted my whole PC as it was getting too full but I honestly don't know at this point whether to get a new PSU, hard drive, etc.

For now I have used DDU to uninstall my graphics drivers and then reinstalled them independently from the Nvidia website along with performing 'sfc /scannow' in cmd.

If anything I have mentioned is similar to yours perhaps we can get an idea of what might be causing the problem, I'll reply back to this if what I have done has changed anything or not.
Hey this is almost exactly like my issue apart form the random shut downs and reboots. I never experienced those. But I do experience the incomplete checkerboard pattern and have no clue why. Before my upgrade, I never had this... But then I upgraded and began experiencing these issues. I have absolutely no clue either but it does only happen in Chrome and Steam at the moment. Gaming is completely fine. NVIDIA responded to my email and are going to help me to hopefully solve this issue. My entire computer is roughly 2 years old so I dont know what to think at this point unless the new 1440p monitor isnt doing great paired with a 3060?? I have no clue lol.

Mar 8, 2023

Hi. I have a similar problem, check out my video! I have glitches in my browser on my RTX 3060 is it similar to what you have?
Glitches and artifacts timecode: 1:03, 1:23, 1:32 (!!!), 1:54, 2:05, 2:14 (!!!), 4:57, 5:45, 5:51, 5:54 (!!!),
View: https://youtu.be/Kd6KZS74tiw

rcsverige

Reputable
Mar 15, 2021
Hi. I have a similar problem, check out my video! I have glitches in my browser on my RTX 3060 is it similar to what you have?
Glitches and artifacts timecode: 1:03, 1:23, 1:32 (!!!), 1:54, 2:05, 2:14 (!!!), 4:57, 5:45, 5:51, 5:54 (!!!),
Hey I actually have spoken with Nvidia about this issue... They have provided me with a solution and so far I havent been experiencing it at all. So maybe you can try it as well! Ill paste the entire instructions right below
-
-
-
-

Thank you for the update.

The issue can be a bug, also there are chances there can be other causes of the issue.

Let's try installing the last version of the driver and check, depending on it we will proceed further:

Uninstall and Install the driver using the cleanup tool
- Download the NVIDIA Cleanup Tool (CleanupTool.exe) from the download link below:
https://developer.nvidia.com/cleanup-tool
- Double-click the executable to launch the tool.
- Click ACCEPT to accept the End User License Agreement.
-Click Yes at the confirmation prompt.
The progress dialogue appears.
Click OK at the completion dialogue to close the dialogue.

All NVIDIA software and drivers (including CUDA) have now been removed from the system.
NVIDIA recommends rebooting the system after the tool is finished.

2. Download and install this driver: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/199990/en-us/

- Once the installer wizard begins, Choose “NVIDIA driver and GeForce Experience” and then select ‘Agree and continue’.
- Select the "Custom (Advanced)" install option and then click Next.
- Put a checkmark in the "Perform clean install" option and then click Next.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation
- Restart the computer.

Please take your time reinstalling the drivers and let me know the observation at your earliest convenience.

Reactions: Zer0Code

rcsverige

Reputable
Mar 15, 2021
If you decide to follow those instructions then just wait and be patient with the process. For me it might have been a corrupt driver or something but so far it is working great! Not sure if I will run into issues later, but for now its great!

Mar 8, 2023
Ill paste the entire instructions right below
All right, I'll try that.
and yes that is very similar but I didnt have the white and black checkerboard.
The color depends on the background of the site, if the background layer is white, it will be white, if the background is black it will be black.
If you decide to follow those instructions then just wait and be patient with the process. For me it might have been a corrupt driver or something but so far it is working great! Not sure if I will run into issues later, but for now its great!
If the problem comes back, write about it later.

p.s.: My English is not very good. So I apologize. )

rcsverige

Reputable
Mar 15, 2021
All right, I'll try that.
yea give it a try and see how it works and definitely let me know! I really hope that it works for you because I know how annoying it can be!

The color depends on the background of the site, if the background layer is white, it will be white, if the background is black it will be black.
Ahh ok gotcha. Yea for me its just mainly black checkers with the image as the the non black checkered box if that makes sense

p.s.: My English is not very good. So I apologize. )
Your english is actually really good!

Reactions: Zer0Code
Status
Not open for further replies.