Question Black Screen After Installing New RAM

warner15

Honorable
Oct 21, 2018
Hello All,

I recently bought some additional RAM for my PC which I built int September 2023 and has been running fine since then:

CPU: i9-13900K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H Gaming Wifi
BIOs: 0904
GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 4070
RAM: G.Skill Z5 Trident DDR5 6400MHz (16GBx2)

The new RAM is simply another set of the G.Skill Z5 on the original build.

Added the new DIMMS to A1 and B1 slots and powered up. All fans and RGB (including the new DIMMS) came on as normal but then no BIOS prompt and just black screens for a few minutes before I turned it off. I would note that the yellow Q-LED light on the mobo was on during that time. I removed the two new DIMMS and powered back on, everything was back to a normal start up no issues.

Now I am not really familiar with RAM settings in the BIOs but I took a look just to see if there was anything obvious, only thing I noticed is that the "old" RAM DIMMS were running at 4800MHz and basically all other RAM settings were on AUTO. I don't mind that the RAM is on 4800MHz but could that be causing an issue with the new DIMMs if they are 6400MHz?

I haven't done any additional troubleshooting yet as I have been trying to read up on this on the forums before I go on a DIMM swapping adventure (have to bring the PC down stairs and across the house to get a flat surface to work on), I was hoping there might be some other things I can try first.

In my mind there are, in general, two things that could be the problem:
1. One or both of the new DIMMs is dead (which can be found by swapping DIMMs)
2. Something in the BIOs settings need to change (not sure where to start)

I guess I asking for some help with option 2 since I am not familiar with the advanced BIOs settings, are there some settings that I should move from AUTO to something else? For example the DRAM frequency is currently on AUTO, should I set that to something discrete?

Thank all in advance.

Hello All,

I recently bought some additional RAM for my PC which I built int September 2023 and has been running fine since then:

CPU: i9-13900K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H Gaming Wifi
BIOs: 0904
GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 4070
RAM: G.Skill Z5 Trident DDR5 6400MHz (16GBx2)

The new RAM is simply another set of the G.Skill Z5 on the original build.

Added the new DIMMS to A1 and B1 slots and powered up. All fans and RGB (including the new DIMMS) came on as normal but then no BIOS prompt and just black screens for a few minutes before I turned it off. I would note that the yellow Q-LED light on the mobo was on during that time. I removed the two new DIMMS and powered back on, everything was back to a normal start up no issues.

Now I am not really familiar with RAM settings in the BIOs but I took a look just to see if there was anything obvious, only thing I noticed is that the "old" RAM DIMMS were running at 4800MHz and basically all other RAM settings were on AUTO. I don't mind that the RAM is on 4800MHz but could that be causing an issue with the new DIMMs if they are 6400MHz?

I haven't done any additional troubleshooting yet as I have been trying to read up on this on the forums before I go on a DIMM swapping adventure (have to bring the PC down stairs and across the house to get a flat surface to work on), I was hoping there might be some other things I can try first.

In my mind there are, in general, two things that could be the problem:
1. One or both of the new DIMMs is dead (which can be found by swapping DIMMs)
2. Something in the BIOs settings need to change (not sure where to start)

I guess I asking for some help with option 2 since I am not familiar with the advanced BIOs settings, are there some settings that I should move from AUTO to something else? For example the DRAM frequency is currently on AUTO, should I set that to something discrete?

Thank all in advance.
Start by resetting CMOS/BIOS so it can find new RAM properly,

If default settings is unstable or still has a problem, it may be best to exchange for a single 64GB+ kit that has been matched and tested to work together. It is possible the two separate memory kits can not work well together. Also, with full slots, maximum DRAM Frequency is reduced so a new kit with two modules should have much better results.

I'd suggest just putting the new pair in by themselves since you know your system was already working with 2 DIMMs in the A2/B2 slots. If nothing happens and you get the yellow light (which is DRAM) then you'll know the new pair should be returned/exchanged.

You weren't running with XMP enabled already so the BIOS settings shouldn't really matter for getting a POST.

Jun 25, 2024
I'd suggest just putting the new pair in by themselves since you know your system was already working with 2 DIMMs in the A2/B2 slots. If nothing happens and you get the yellow light (which is DRAM) then you'll know the new pair should be returned/exchanged.

You weren't running with XMP enabled already so the BIOS settings shouldn't really matter for getting a POST.
I'm sorry I'm rather new to all this what yellow light should I be looking for and where?