[SOLVED] Black Screen and Blue Screen with RX 580 ?

May 11, 2021
Hey gentle man, I got a new pc this January. Since form first re-build it, my pc keeps freezing when playing games. This is literally for any game. CSGO, Valorant, etc. It all happens in the middle of a game or so while playing. The screen would freeze, turn black or green or grey or blue, have a BZZZZZZZZZZZ noise until I manually force shut down or restart the pc. Sometimes, the audio of the game keeps going while the screen stays black and my monitor keeps detecting new output. Then it would be the blue screen of death. I've been searching for the problem like forever and I just can't find a solution. I thought it was a gpu driver problem. I really don't know what to do since using the pc normally is completely fine. Only happens when I play games. Im so suffered right now, please help

Here are my specs (this is my first time I had a pc so sorry if I give bad info):

CPU: I5-10400f with stock fan
GPU: XFX RX 580 4gb
Motherboard: Asrock h410m-hvs r2.0
PSU: lux 550w 80 plus bronze
Storage: SSD 256gb midasforce & 1tb seagate barracuda
RAM: 8gb
monitor : 1399 x 728 resolution with converter cable from monitor to gpu

Last edited:
Solution
Here are my specs (this is my first time I had a pc so sorry if I give bad info):

My best guess would be power/GPU issue due to the fact it happens during gaming, i.e. demanding load.

Now far be it from me to be the guy who recommends Tier 1 PSU all the time since I've used a VS650 (the OG orange label one!) for many many years with 0 issues, but I'm a bit sketched about these Aerocool/Armaggeddon/budget brands PSU. That could be the problem, but I understand that buying a new...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

My best guess would be power/GPU issue due to the fact it happens during gaming, i.e. demanding load.

Now far be it from me to be the guy who recommends Tier 1 PSU all the time since I've used a VS650 (the OG orange label one!) for many many years with 0 issues, but I'm a bit sketched about these Aerocool/Armaggeddon/budget brands PSU. That could be the problem, but I understand that buying a new quality PSU isn't something that everyone can afford immediately.

Is the buzzing noise from speakers or from the monitor itself? If it's anything HDMI audio related, we can see how the GPU could be the culprit.

Unless you can procure a known good PSU of decent quality (like Corsair CX450 at least) to test with, I'd try with a fresh Windows installation with a spare storage drive just to double check if it's software related.

Personally, I'd look for a good system to borrow (with good PSU) to test. Swap the PSU, test, then swap the GPU, and test.

Solution

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
Hey gentle man, I got a new pc this January. Since form first re-build it, my pc keeps freezing when playing games. This is literally for any game. CSGO, Valorant, etc. It all happens in the middle of a game or so while playing. The screen would freeze, turn black or green or grey or blue, have a BZZZZZZZZZZZ noise until I manually force shut down or restart the pc. Sometimes, the audio of the game keeps going while the screen stays black and my monitor keeps detecting new output. Then it would be the blue screen of death. I've been searching for the problem like forever and I just can't find a solution. I thought it was a gpu driver problem. I really don't know what to do since using the pc normally is completely fine. Only happens when I play games. Im so suffered right now, please help

Try underclocking the vram, it will probably work normally after that. I've had this problem with couple mining cards

Bad PSU, Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems in the PSU hierarchy :

It should not have been used to power a 580. You need to change it asap. Choose Tier B or above from that link.

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
Bad PSU, Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems in the PSU hierarchy :

It should not have been used to power a 580. You need to change it asap. Choose Tier B or above from that link.
Won't help, it isn't the psu it's the vram on the GPU. I've had at least 5 gpus like this after mining, so I recommend underclocking the vram!

Won't help, it isn't the psu it's the vram on the GPU. I've had at least 5 gpus like this after mining, so I recommend underclocking the vram!
Yes, underclocking VRAM is the free option to see if it is the issue. If it is, it's a dying gpu. But don't confuse your used for mining GPUs that push VRAM to the limit with a gpu that was used for gaming. It's not the same thing.

Reactions: danyuzunov

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
Yes, underclocking VRAM is the free option to see if it is the issue. If it is, it's a dying gpu. But don't confuse your used for mining GPUs that push VRAM to the limit with a gpu that was used for gaming. It's not the same thing.
I didn't say that this one's issue is result of mining but that mine are because I am the one who mined with them.

May 11, 2021

Now far be it from me to be the guy who recommends Tier 1 PSU all the time since I've used a VS650 (the OG orange label one!) for many many years with 0 issues, but I'm a bit sketched about these Aerocool/Armaggeddon/budget brands PSU. That could be the problem, but I understand that buying a new quality PSU isn't something that everyone can afford immediately.

Is the buzzing noise from speakers or from the monitor itself? If it's anything HDMI audio related, we can see how the GPU could be the culprit.

Unless you can procure a known good PSU of decent quality (like Corsair CX450 at least) to test with, I'd try with a fresh Windows installation with a spare storage drive just to double check if it's software related.

Personally, I'd look for a good system to borrow (with good PSU) to test. Swap the PSU, test, then swap the GPU, and test.
for the part where u asking buzzing noise, the buzzing noise is form the speaker, coz my monitor dont have own speaker, and i'm using the "converter" cable, since my monitor is old ones, can converter cable make those buzzing and black screen problem?
for using good PSU, hmm i already have a plan for that, but need time for collect a budget, thanks for your advice sir

May 11, 2021

i do it ASAP sir, thanks

May 11, 2021
i'll remember this, at least if it's not a PSU problem, it's a VRAM problem, like that sir? or u have anything to advice me, go on , i'll listen , thanks for your time :)
so sir, hmm im buying this second hand GPU, and the Seller told me that this GPU is from the Internet gaming cafe or something, but i think he use this to mining too, so i can't wait to learn how to underclocking VRAM, or u can drop the video link that can help me . thanks again

TRENDING THREADS