Black screen and looping sound.

deepinsideme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Issue: After a random amount of time playing graphic intensive games on my laptop I get a black screen and sound loop. Rendered unable to alt-tab, ctrl+alt+del or anything at all. Must hard reboot.

What I've tried: Reinstalling games/graphic drivers, CPU/GPU stress tests, clearing vents of buildup, testing RAM, reformatting, using older versions of graphics drivers, and updating BIOS.

Specs:
Gateway FX P-7805u
Processor: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400
Memory: 4GB, 1066MHz DDR3
Chipset: Mobile Intel PM45 Express Chipset
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS

deepinsideme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
CPU temps are normal. My GPU likes to hang out at 75c at idle sometimes >.>. Most often it's mid 40c idle. I can't check my temps while playing a game because my games don't allow alt+tabbing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the laptop, though, aside from the way it acts during 3D games.

DM186

Splendid
With MSI Afterburner I see my temps I see my cards usage and the clocking and FPS. I don't need to alt+tab It runs up in my left corner while gaming.

If it isn't temps then I would say something else is going out and since I not that good with laptops. I was hoping it would have been an easy problem to fix. maybe someone else could help this person.

If you don't have MSI Afterburner here is a link to it. If no one helps repost the question. If all eles fails take it into a shop. I am sorry I wasn't able to help you but I do wish you the best of good luck and I hope you get this fixed.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Remee

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Took more than a year of scouring tech blogs to fix my wife's and my gateway fx p-7805u black screen of death and sound looping problem in games we'd previously had no problems with. Had tried everything incl: all driver updates, temp monitors, thorough system cleanings, thermal paste changes, heat sink changes, bios alterations, "gutting/rebuilding" my laptop, et. al ad nauseum. Many fellow enthusiast did try to assist, but to no avail. A lot of individuals with this system/nvidia card are frustrated beyond comprehension.

Refusing to submit and upgrade to newer laptops, I fortunately "Sherlocked" across this link: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=173133

Hope this resolves your predicament. As I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

Best comp wishes,

First-hand combatant of many comp "experiences" for over 20 years.

***smiles***
Remee