[SOLVED] Black screen crash unless BIOS is reset ?

Jun 19, 2021
Hi, I've been having this serious issue with my computer for the past few weeks. I've been using this computer for the past six-ish years to play games and it's been working relatively problem-free until now. I've been experiencing strange crashes where the screen turns completely black, the computer shuts off, but the power button light turns on. I've tried looking it up on google for an answer and most of those people could still hear their sound, had their fans running and whatnot but what I'm experiencing is a total crash.

CPU: AMD FX-8320
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 (MS-7693)
GPU: Radeon R9 270X

I didn't build this computer myself, but I bought it off of my brother so to be quite honest I'm not entirely how it all works. The only recent changes I've made to the hardware was when my step-brother helped me change some fans that stopped working, but I don't really understand how that could be the cause of all the crashes. When it crashes it stops responding to any input, so I have to manually flick the power switch on the back on and off to get it to reboot, and even then it crashes about a minute after boot-up, maybe a few if I'm lucky. I was talking with my step-brother about this and he said to reset the bios by flicking the power off, taking the cmos battery out, letting it sit for 10 minutes, and putting it back in. At first that seemingly did the trick and it worked for a few days.

However the crashes came back with a vengeance, and now I'm lucky if I can get even a half an hour before a crash even with resetting the bios every time. I'm not sure if the time I get before a crash is completely random or if it depends on how long I let the battery sit because the time before a crash ranged between a few minutes and around 10 hours at the high end. I thought it may have been because I was playing the new version of minecraft because when I installed the new update was the same time these crashes started, but I'm not so sure since I've gotten crashes even when just running my browser. I tried looking in event viewer and the only error it showed was a "error 0x79", which has something to do with my ip and can't be it since the log had those same errors dating back to 2015 when my pc ran fine. I tried updating the bios and the drivers and that didn't work either.

I don't know how to fix this problem and neither does my step-brother, so that's why I came to you guys for help. I'm assuming because resetting the bios "fixes" the issue temporarily this is a motherboard problem, but I apologize if this isn't the right board to post this in. Is my motherboard dead/dying, is something else wrong with my pc? I'm hoping there's some obvious fix I'm just completely missing here. If there's any other information on my machine that would help please let me know in the replies. Thank you in advanced for any help!

Solution
Re update the bios again, then:

Clean install windows, Set sata mode to AHCI, bios mode to UEFI, make sure your ssd/hdd that is going to be installed is converted to GPT first.

Then install this amd chipset driver (install the windows 64 bit one)

Then install the latest amd radeon driver as usual.

if problem still occurs, try to reflash the gpu bios, find your gpu bios by installing gpu z and open it, press lookup button, it's next to your GPU name. After that download the gpu bios, before you start to flash gpu bios, watch this first.
Re update the bios again, then:

Clean install windows, Set sata mode to AHCI, bios mode to UEFI, make sure your ssd/hdd that is going to be installed is converted to GPT first.

Then install this amd chipset driver (install the windows 64 bit one)

Then install the latest amd radeon driver as usual.

if problem still occurs, try to reflash the gpu bios, find your gpu bios by installing gpu z and open it, press lookup button, it's next to your GPU name. After that download the gpu bios, before you start to flash gpu bios, watch this first.

Solution