[SOLVED] black screen fans going at full speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

klotzbob

Prominent
Jan 14, 2020
Hi Guys,

recently I've been having problems with the pc I put together late last year.

I didn't notice this being a problem until a few weeks ago and I believe it has been happening more often recently
When playing certain games, it goes to a black screen and the fans rev up. It does not shut down, I have to manually shut it off and reboot in order to use it again.
This doesn't happen for all games (overwatch, sea of thieves, CSGO have been running with no issues). However other games do cause this problem. Those games aren't necessarily very demanding (I believe even Disco Elysium caused a "crash").

The most reliable way for me to recreate the issue have been to boot up Guild Wars 2 which crashes the instant I load into a level everytime. Using CEMU for BOTW also reliably ends in a black screen.
I've had this happen both on loading a game and ALT+tabbing back into one.

I found someone on google who had similar issues and they reported that replacing the thermal paste on their gpu helped. I have done this for both cpu and gpu but unfortunately it didn't help (I had a suspicion the CPU may be at fault because I was the one to apply the thermal paste in the first place and because both GW2 and CEMU are notoriously CPU intensive). Right now I'm thinking about testing another PSU because I read about this being the culprit in some cases, but I wanted to defer to your expertise before possibly spending more money for no good reason.

My Setup:

KFA2 RTX 2070 Super 8GB

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 x 3.60Ghz

16GB (2x 8192MB) G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3000 DIMM CL16-18-18-38 Dual Kit

500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11 Non-Modular 80+ Gold

512GB intel 660P M.2 SSD

MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX B450 AM4 7A38-043R Mainboard

Hopefully I've provided sufficient information, if not I'll make sure to update.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

recently I've been having problems with the pc I put together late last year.

I didn't notice this being a problem until a few weeks ago and I believe it has been happening more often recently
When playing certain games, it goes to a black screen and the fans rev up. It does not shut down, I have to manually shut it off and reboot in order to use it again.
This doesn't happen for all games (overwatch, sea of thieves, CSGO have been running with no issues). However other games do cause this problem. Those games aren't necessarily very demanding (I believe even Disco Elysium caused a "crash").

The most reliable way for me to recreate the issue have been to boot up Guild Wars 2 which crashes the instant I load into a level everytime. Using CEMU for BOTW also reliably ends in a black screen.
I've had this happen both on loading a game and ALT+tabbing back into one.

I found someone on google who had similar issues and they reported that replacing the thermal paste on their gpu helped. I have done this for both cpu and gpu but unfortunately it didn't help (I had a suspicion the CPU may be at fault because I was the one to apply the thermal paste in the first place and because both GW2 and CEMU are notoriously CPU intensive). Right now I'm thinking about testing another PSU because I read about this being the culprit in some cases, but I wanted to defer to your expertise before possibly spending more money for no good reason.

My Setup:

KFA2 RTX 2070 Super 8GB

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 x 3.60Ghz

16GB (2x 8192MB) G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3000 DIMM CL16-18-18-38 Dual Kit

500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11 Non-Modular 80+ Gold

512GB intel 660P M.2 SSD

MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX B450 AM4 7A38-043R Mainboard

Hopefully I've provided sufficient information, if not I'll make sure to update.

Cheers
It could very well be your psu. The 2070 super recommended psu wattage is 550watts for a system. https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/kfa2-geforce-rtx-2070-super-ex-gamer-black-review,6.html

klotzbob

Prominent
Jan 14, 2020
Do you have any entries in event viewer in computer management to coincide with these black outs?
Yes. The most helpful one being this:
Critical 1/14/2020 7:08:42 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 1/14/2020 7:08:42 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-THJUGUC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

I would try uninstalling the gpu drivers and reinstall them using the most recent driver released to date. Then I would go in to device manager and line by line check for driver updates. Also try going in to command prompt(admin) and type sfc /scannow and see if it finds anything.

klotzbob

Prominent
Jan 14, 2020
The Scan didn't find anything. I uninstalled and reinstalled the nvidia driver. Also I checked every single driver in the device manager. Here's what I updated:

Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller #2
Realtek Audio Effects Component
Realtek Audio Universal Service
Realtek Hardware Support Application
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
AMD GPIO Controller
AMD SMBus
NVIDIA USB Type-C Port Policy Controller

Before all this I updated the BIOS as well.

Nothing has changed except for the fact that I now don't get any sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.