[SOLVED] Black screen fans on full speed

Aug 30, 2020
I have a Gigabyte RX 580 4gig graphic card. (2 years old) Recently my display went black and my gpu fans started spinning at full speed. The gpu doesn't appear in my bios or device manager. I tested it on 2 different PC's, uninstalled AMD drivers, booted it with one ram stick in different slots, replaced thermal paste. Nothing works. Is there any other troubleshooting I can try?

Solution
Which exact Corsair on the second PC? They make some excellent PSUs, but there are a couple of models that should not be used on anything but an office PC, no matter the wattage.

As for the primary PC, did the black screen issue seem to coincide with the change to the 550W power supply? While 1600 is WAY more than your system should need, it could be that this particular Huntkey model is one of their poor quality ones.

That said, I'd say give it a try with the 1600W again. If it works, we definitely know the Huntkey is a problem. Still, depending on the rest of your hardware (CPU, etc), you shouldn't need much more than 550W. A good 550W, anyway.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't know a whole lot about Huntkey. I've been able to find that some Huntkey models use Seasonic innards (maybe) while others are garbage.

I wasn't able to find any information on that specific model you mentioned. My first instinct is to suspect the power supply, though. BUT: what was the PSU on the second PC you tried this RX 580 on?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Which exact Corsair on the second PC? They make some excellent PSUs, but there are a couple of models that should not be used on anything but an office PC, no matter the wattage.

As for the primary PC, did the black screen issue seem to coincide with the change to the 550W power supply? While 1600 is WAY more than your system should need, it could be that this particular Huntkey model is one of their poor quality ones.

That said, I'd say give it a try with the 1600W again. If it works, we definitely know the Huntkey is a problem. Still, depending on the rest of your hardware (CPU, etc), you shouldn't need much more than 550W. A good 550W, anyway.

Solution
This could be an indication that your GPU has failed. If you tested it with two different power supplies, in two different systems, I'm inclined to point at the GPU more than both power supplies. Do you have another GPU you could test? You could 'borrow' (buy and then return) a GPU from a local store.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I agree with you that it could be an indication of failure, but at least one of the PSUs is a potential problem.

That said, the downvote is for this:
You could 'borrow' (buy and then return) a GPU from a local store.
Please don't endorse abuse of return policies. Ultimately, this hurts the next person who gets the surprise of a previously used GPU having been unwittingly sold as new.

Aug 30, 2020

This a good theory, I'll try and find a high quality power supply and send an update