Question Black screen into hard reboot while gaming ?

Jan 6, 2023
Hello,

I've been experiencing black screens into a hard reboot (only while gaming) randomly for a while. Since my computer is still under warranty I've already brought it in for repairs twice now. The SSD as well as the GPU have been replaced but somehow I am still having those damn black screens mostly while playing graphics-intensive games. I've tried many things such as doing a clean install of my NVIDIA drivers with DDU, doing an SFC scan and CHKDSK as well as running the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. Temperatures are looking fine. I tried looking in the Event Viewer but the only things i could find were some Kernel-Power 41 errors (when the PC crashes), volmgr 161 errors (dump file creation failed), EventLog 6008 (previous system shutdown was unexpected), and a WHEA-Logger 1 (fatal hardware error has occured).

This issue is extremely infuriating to diagnose because there is no error message displayed whenever the PC crashes, no bluescreen, my monitors just turn black and the PC hard reboots. The only way I got it to produce a bluescreen with an actual error message was by using the Driver Verifier tool that comes with Windows. I was able to get 4 bluescreens during the time I used it and they all produced minidumps. All with the same error code "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED". The minidumps have been attached below, all help is greatly appreciated.

Specs:
System Model: HP OMEN 30L Desktop GT13-1xxx
GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080
Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700KF @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: (2x) HyperX 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHZ
Motherboard: HP 886C
PSU: HP Cooler Master Power Supply 800W DPS-800AB-60 M19770-013 80PLUS GOLD

MINIDUMP #1: https://www.mediafire.com/file/kr4i15w8y0g51ui/010623-28390-01.dmp/file
MINIDUMP #2: https://www.mediafire.com/file/b4axomhwydge9x7/010623-25687-01.dmp/file
MINIDUMP #3: https://www.mediafire.com/file/rpjg78wt0wi9s33/010623-29062-01.dmp/file
MINIDUMP #4: https://www.mediafire.com/file/j0lz4ihted6in0s/010623-24625-01.dmp/file

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU in the build(or at least the wattage of the unit). Has there been any BIOS updates performed on the platform? Use the part number of your prebuilt into HP's support page. Use CPU-Z to show you what your current BIOS version is listed under the Mainboard's tab. With both sets of info, cross-reference them to see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your platform.

Jan 6, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU in the build(or at least the wattage of the unit). Has there been any BIOS updates performed on the platform? Use the part number of your prebuilt into HP's support page. Use CPU-Z to show you what your current BIOS version is listed under the Mainboard's tab. With both sets of info, cross-reference them to see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your platform.
Thanks for your reply! I've updated the main post with my PSU, it's this one: HP Cooler Master Power Supply 800W DPS-800AB-60 M19770-013 80PLUS GOLD . My current BIOS version is F.15. I've tried looking on the HP support page but it seems to be bugging out for me and stays stuck on "HP is compiling your results..." so I can't see what the most recent version is unfortunately.

Lutfij

Titan
Probably site wide maintenance or they're updating their site for the new stuff shown off at CES ;)

800W for an RTX3080, hmmm, that is something I'd be wary of. People on custom builds are suggested to have a slightly higher PSU wattage(apart from them being branded and reliably built) so perhaps that might be the issue as gaming will demand more from the system then at idle. Does stress testing your build with something like TimeSpy cause the reboots as well?

Jan 6, 2023
Probably site wide maintenance or they're updating their site for the new stuff shown off at CES ;)

800W for an RTX3080, hmmm, that is something I'd be wary of. People on custom builds are suggested to have a slightly higher PSU wattage(apart from them being branded and reliably built) so perhaps that might be the issue as gaming will demand more from the system then at idle. Does stress testing your build with something like TimeSpy cause the reboots as well?
Yea i'm starting to think it might be the PSU as well. Clearly it's not coming from the GPU nor the SDD because those have been replaced already. I figured since it was quite an expensive prebuilt the 800W PSU would have been fine. I have tried running some benchmarks for a couple of hours (FurMark, OCCT) but I've never been able to recreate the issue. Could slightly undervolting my rig be a temporary fix?

Jan 6, 2023
Undervolting the GPU and CPU could help...but that prebuilt is something I'd have said not to buy, though around the time you bought it(assuming early last year), the other off the shelf options were less worthy.
Yea I bought it in January 2022. So pretty much the takeaway here is that I should start looking for a new PSU, correct? Or is there anything else I can try before spending more money on this trash prebuilt?