Question Black screen/No post after removing GPU

Aug 27, 2020
Hi all,

About a month ago I removed my GPU to give to my nephew as a birthday present. I didn’t at the time use my desktop much, so figured when I needed for uni again in September, I’d buy a new GPU.

About 2 weeks ago I needed a file from the system, so plugged a HDMI lead into the onboard - however I just got a black screen followed by no signal.

At the time I just thought it was likely the fact that I hadn’t installed another GPU, so left it.

Today, I bought a new GPU (used) - installed it, but I again get a black screen (no signal) and can’t even post to BIOS. This is the same via HDMI on the GPU and onboard and I’ve tried two different monitors and two different HDMI cables.

What I’ve done so far:
Removed the CMOS to reset the bios - no change
Removed the new GPU - no change
Tried multiple monitors/HDMI cables - no change
Re-seated RAM and cleaned
Unplugged and plugged back in all cables from PSU

All fans/LED’s work fine on startup - even the new GPU lights up and fans stay on.
Keyboard lights up on startup - however goes off after around 15 seconds.

Really at a loss - obviously can’t update BIOS because I have no display output at all.

System:
Ryzen 5 1600AF
Patriot Viper Blackout 2 x 4GB 3000Mhz RAM
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
WD 500GB m.2 nVme SSD
Thermaltake 600W PSU
New (used) GPU = R9 280x
Old GPU = RX 580 8GB

Any help appreciated

Aug 27, 2020
Sorry just to add - All parts were purchased brand new in March of this year (apart from latest GPU).

My issue really is - the system won’t post even without the GPU in.

Hi all,

About a month ago I removed my GPU to give to my nephew as a birthday present. I didn’t at the time use my desktop much, so figured when I needed for uni again in September, I’d buy a new GPU.

About 2 weeks ago I needed a file from the system, so plugged a HDMI lead into the onboard - however I just got a black screen followed by no signal.

At the time I just thought it was likely the fact that I hadn’t installed another GPU, so left it.

Today, I bought a new GPU (used) - installed it, but I again get a black screen (no signal) and can’t even post to BIOS. This is the same via HDMI on the GPU and onboard and I’ve tried two different monitors and two different HDMI cables.

What I’ve done so far:
Removed the CMOS to reset the bios - no change
Removed the new GPU - no change
Tried multiple monitors/HDMI cables - no change
Re-seated RAM and cleaned
Unplugged and plugged back in all cables from PSU

All fans/LED’s work fine on startup - even the new GPU lights up and fans stay on.
Keyboard lights up on startup - however goes off after around 15 seconds.

Really at a loss - obviously can’t update BIOS because I have no display output at all.

System:
Ryzen 5 1600AF
Patriot Viper Blackout 2 x 4GB 3000Mhz RAM
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
WD 500GB m.2 nVme SSD
Thermaltake 600W PSU
New (used) GPU = R9 280x
Old GPU = RX 580 8GB

Any help appreciated
Your CPU, the Ryzen 5 1600AF, has no iGPU at all. So connecting to the motherboard won't produce ANY signal.
You NEED a working GPU. Your MoBo has 2 PCI x 16 expansion slots. Have you tried both with your GPU ?

Aug 27, 2020
Well, what a donkey I am! Didn’t even think about the CPU not having onboard.

Yes I’ve tried both PCI expansion slots, but both the same result unfortunately.
Could it be simply a driver issue that I can’t resolve because I can’t access windows or even the BiOS?

Aug 27, 2020
I haven’t seen it working - however it was bought from a reputable store, not an individual.
I don’t have any other display cables to try atm, but I guess my best bet is to grab a display port cable tomorrow and try that to see if it’s the port on the GPU?