Question Black Screen of Death switching from r9 390 to RTX 3080 FTW3 12g

owedevil

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
I am upgrading my GPU, finally, from a R9 390 to an EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12 GB. My issue is when I install the 3080 it works fine.... until I upgrade the driver then I get a black screen of death that will not go away no matter how long I wait (waited 15-20 mins.) Initially the black screen has a crappy looking multicolored bar at the top as if there is some graphics error, then after a restart it's pure black. At first I forgot to remove my old AMD drivers but did so with DDU, removing both AMD and Nvidia drivers to start fresh, but the Black Screen of Death still occurs right after updating the 3080. I do not have integrated graphics for my mobo so I have to reinstall my r9 390, use DDU to clean up again, then switch back and troubleshoot. The manual that came with my 3080 says to simply go to evga.com/drivers, which I did, and this is what I am trying to install; "516.59-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe" which I got with the filters set to GeForce 30 Series Family and the OS to what I have which is Windows 10 64 bit. The download at Nvidia's site seems to offer the same file.

My other specs are:
OS Windows 10 64 bit
16 GB 4000 mhz Vengeance RAM
M.2 rocket gen 4.0 SSD
Display is a x900h 50in TV

Is the driver the same for the 10g and 12g 3080s? Really doesn't seem to be the case but is my TV incompatible? Where am I technically supposed to get 3080 drivers? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

owedevil

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
Thanks for the replies.

is your TV firmware up to date? it could be just hdmi 2.1 compatibility issue
your TV has hdmi 2.1 on ports 3 and 4, try switching to hdmi port 1 or 2
My TV is fully up to date and i've researched across multiple sites and all say hdmi 2.1 is fully backwards compatible.

its your psu... no matter the psu, the power draw was already, ridiculously high then you slapped in a 3080

stop right now before you damage everything... get a new psu, I hope the card is fine.
Forgot to mention I have a RM 850x gold plus 80 PSU, and I did not tax the GPU in any way while updating drivers, nor was my other paraphernalia like CPU taxed at all. When you say "no matter the psu" it makes me think you are trolling.

Thanks for trying to help.

Thanks for the replies.

My TV is fully up to date and i've researched across multiple sites and all say hdmi 2.1 is fully backwards compatible.

Forgot to mention I have a RM 850x gold plus 80 PSU, and I did not tax the GPU in any way while updating drivers, nor was my other paraphernalia like CPU taxed at all. When you say "no matter the psu" it makes me think you are trolling.

Thanks for trying to help.
No, no troll. How old is this psu?