Question Black screen when booting bios

Apr 8, 2020
Hello! I have a Asus x570 tuf gaming (wifi) and when I try boot into the bios with the Delete key I just get a black/grey screen. Does anyone know what the cause of this is? I can boot the boot menu just fine with no issue. Also it just continues to boot into windows without a problem. I have reseted the cmos battery by removing it but there is no difference. If anyone could help that be great and make me very happy!

Thanks in advance!

Hello! I have a Asus x570 tuf gaming (wifi) and when I try boot into the bios with the Delete key I just get a black/grey screen. Does anyone know what the cause of this is? I can boot the boot menu just fine with no issue. Also it just continues to boot into windows without a problem. I have reseted the cmos battery by removing it but there is no difference. If anyone could help that be great and make me very happy!

Thanks in advance!
Which CPU ?
It's up to GPU to decide which output is default if you are not using APU..

Sep 17, 2020
Did you solve this issue? I have the exact same problem with my Asus TUF Z490-Plus. I'm using a 4K screen with an HDMI cable connected to my GTX 970 GPU (I'll upgrade it soon). I simply can't reach my UEFI BIOS screen, it all started when I switched the HDMI cable from the GPU to the motherboard (i7 10700k integrated graphics) while inside the BIOS (I was trying to make a Hackintosh install). Now I can't see the UEFI BIOS at all!

I can boot to Windows. I can press F8 during startup and get the boot options. But I can't get to the BIOS, it just displays a black screen.

I've tried:

• Integrated Graphics Only
  • GPU only
  • Both Integrated Graphics and GPU connected at the same time
  • All of the above in a different monitor (1080p)
  • Resetting the CMOS by taking the battery off the motherboard
  • Resetting the CMOS by removing the battery AND shorting the CLRTC pins
  • Changing the default resolution of my display through my Nvidia Control Panel to match the BIOS settings

I'm lost!

garyst

Commendable
Sep 10, 2020
This usually happens when the BIOS is updated before installing the latest video driver. Try uninstalling your GPU's driver first then reinstall it.

Sep 17, 2020
UPDATE: Just got my BIOS to work!

Here's my workaround:

- Turn your power supply off and unplug it from the wall.

- Unplug EVERYTHING from your PC, except your keyboard. By everything, I mean all USB devices, all SATA cables, your GPU (if you have on board graphics), and everything else you can possibly unplug.

- Remove the CMOS battery completely.

- Connect your monitor directly to the motherboard (again, if possible)

- Plug you PSU back to the wall and turn it on.

- Turn on your computer. Since you don't have any SATA devices available, it should go straight into BIOS.

That did it for me!

Don't forget to plug your CMOS battery back on after you get it working (turn off your computer first).

After some experimentation, I found out that the culprits were my SATA devices. I can get to BIOS simply by removing each and every SATA cable from my drives. I have absolutely no idea why!

Since I still can't get to the BIOS with my drives connected, I won't consider it solved... But I hope it helps someone else!

Jan 22, 2021
UPDATE: Just got my BIOS to work!

Here's my workaround:

- Turn your power supply off and unplug it from the wall.

- Unplug EVERYTHING from your PC, except your keyboard. By everything, I mean all USB devices, all SATA cables, your GPU (if you have on board graphics), and everything else you can possibly unplug.

- Remove the CMOS battery completely.

- Connect your monitor directly to the motherboard (again, if possible)

- Plug you PSU back to the wall and turn it on.

- Turn on your computer. Since you don't have any SATA devices available, it should go straight into BIOS.

That did it for me!

Don't forget to plug your CMOS battery back on after you get it working (turn off your computer first).

After some experimentation, I found out that the culprits were my SATA devices. I can get to BIOS simply by removing each and every SATA cable from my drives. I have absolutely no idea why!

Since I still can't get to the BIOS with my drives connected, I won't consider it solved... But I hope it helps someone else!

Did you finally solve the problem? Because I have the exact same problem and i only able to enter in the BIOS doing the same thing that you did

Sep 17, 2020
Did you finally solve the problem? Because I have the exact same problem and i only able to enter in the BIOS doing the same thing that you did

Hey! I believe trying to make a Hackintosh install was the culprit, and the problem resolved by itself after I quit trying to boot the Mac OS partition and used a Display Port cable instead of the HDMI, but it still occurs from time to time! I have no idea what may be causing this, so weird!

Reactions: Ismus10
Jan 22, 2021
Hey! I believe trying to make a Hackintosh install was the culprit, and the problem resolved by itself after I quit trying to boot the Mac OS partition and used a Display Port cable instead of the HDMI, but it still occurs from time to time! I have no idea what may be causing this, so weird!

Was the same problem in my case! I was also trying to create a hackintosh but i fail miserably and install VMware. I will try to use a Display Port cable thanks!