Question Black Screen when gfx driver installs

Hello.

Today i pressed my power button on my pc. It booted but once windows started my monitor said no signal.

R5 2600
Msi b350 gaming plus
16gb 3200mhz
Sapphire nitro rx480 8gb
Cx550m

I went into safe mode, ran ddu, and the pc booted. I installed the latest gfx driver for my rx480 and black screen no signal. I restarted and no signal once in Windows.

I went into safe mode and ran ddu again. This time i just let Windows auto install driver and i still got a black screen no signal.

I have ran ddu than plugged in an r9 290 and it doesn't display any video output after i install the driver. I have also tried different driver versions to no avail.

RX480 8gb (working)
R9 290 (flaky card)
HD5670 (working)

I found my hd5670 will work if i manually install the driver but black screen if windows installs the driver first.

I grabbed another hdd and fresh installed windows with my rx480 in. But it still black screened when the driver installed.

I tried both my r9 290 and rx480 in my other pc and they exibited same issue.

I5 3550
H61 dell
2x4gb hyperx 1600mhz
Msi gaming x 960 2gb
Seasonic m12ii 520 bronze

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020
Both AMD and NVIDIA have had pretty awful driver issues recently, from the 5700XT fiasco to NVIDIA drivers not liking cards older than the RTX series / GTX 16 series.

I'd keep an eye on what drivers you use even for the 960 as Colif over in the Windows 10 board has seen a lot of BugChecks recently where the commonalities are new NVIDIA drivers running on a 7/9/10-series GPU.

960 is the only card that works.

None of my 3 amd cards will display video after i install any driver regardless of age of driver. I have tried 2 pc (one amd and one intel). I evem tried a fresh install of windows and same result.

Whats up. Why do amd cards like not work at all for me now?