Question Black screen with blinking cursor?

Apr 11, 2020
Hello, I built a pc with all new parts yesterday: Aorus Gigabyte b450 ds3h, gigabyte gtx 1660ti, 16gb hyperx ram, Inland Premium 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD, ryzen 5 2600. I turned on the pc and everything was working until I had to install windows. I used an external hard drive because that is all I have at the time and no matter what I do, if i try and boot with the external drive it just sits there with a black screen with a blinking cursor. I can get into bios just fine, is the external hard drive the problem?

if i try and boot with the external drive it just sits there with a black screen with a blinking cursor. I can get into bios just fine, is the external hard drive the problem?
Probably incompatible boot settings.
Option #1 - boot settings in BIOS configured for UEFI boot, but boot media made for legacy boot;
Option #1 - boot settings in BIOS configured for legacy boot, but boot media made for UEFI boot.

Apr 11, 2020
I figured out the problem. It was not an issue with any of that. In another thread I found that I have to just erase the thumb drive with ntfs by downloading tuxera. Then I just had to open the iso file and copy it into the newly formatted drive.