Blizzard: Diablo 3 Internet Requirement Prevents Hacking

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Anoooonomouse[/nom]My Diablo 2 case is glaring at the article. For all the fine gentlemen who say "This will stop people from pirating it herpa derpa derp." I give it 5 months after release, for someone to: get the server code, decompile it, and then crack and recompile it for offline single player; free to download and more fun to play. They aren't stopping anything, the reason for constant online play IS about the real money trade, and torchlight 2 will be a much better purchase. Have fun eating Blizzards spoon fed sh!t fanboys.[/citation]
Did you really play D2 offline much, even considering the fact that dialup was the king for most of its life? Also, I said it before... but it took a year and a half for them to crack bnet for SC2. Why do you think its about the real money trade and not about preventing piracy and hacks as best they can?

PS: The reason a lot of the "anti-always on" posts are getting downvoted are because they contain no logical argument, they are just hate filled responses with no basis behind them. The ones that argue anti-always on that pertain to not having internet are getting voted UP (Sean SA, in south africa for example), because that is a legitimate complaint.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]So the GM popping into the instance and telling us that was niot the GM, just a figment of our imagination? And you call others retarded?And yes, Blizzard often tinkered with drop rates back in Kara and BC. They even talked about it on the old forums.[/citation]
GM's did not pop into instances. GM appearances are exceedingly rare. Even if you are in a very top world guild they dont usually communicate too much with you. They will watch and observe, and keep in touch in regards to bugs, but they wont pop in. If you had a screenshot of this, I might believe you, but until then you are spouting nonsense.

Steelwing

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I totally disagree with your viewpoints:

1.) Even if I only got 1 year of gaming out of diablo 3 (d3 servers went down in 12 months time and the game could never be played again). I would still buy the game on release and get 1 years enjoyment out of it. Expecting to play a game for 30 years, or in 30 years time, is kind of a pathetic reason not to buy a game. You can't buy ANYTHING that lasts 30 years, not even a car, a knife, a couch or a floor mat!

2.) Not enough character slots? Really? This only shows how ignorant you are. I wont even be bothered to correct how stupid you look to any Diablo 3 fan.

Very well. It's fine to disagree. I happen to be someone who collects things and expects them to last. Not everyone is like this, and they might be happy being able to play for only a year before tiring of the game. I personally expect that my digital goods are not going to wear out in the same manner as physical items, though they may become less accessible due to lack of backwards compatibility in future hardware\operating systems. This can often be worked around. (Such as old games working in DOSBox.) By restricting a game to online only, there's an unknown expiration date on your game, regardless of how much time and money you've put into it. If Blizzard ever vanishes for some reason, I'll still be able to enjoy the first two Diablo games and their various mods.

As for the character slots, it's only a minor issue for me, but after a little searching I was unable to find definitive info on how many will be available. I admit ignorance here, since I haven't done a lot of reading on the game. Perhaps you or another could enlighten me as to how it works instead of merely insulting? I honestly would like to know how many characters slots will be available. I might want to try building characters with many different classes and builds without having to delete one of them to make room. I certainly hope that you're given more slots than Diablo II gave.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]1.) Actually they did say that if too much of an item appears on the auction house they will then nerf that item. That was said weeks ago when they announced the real money AH. And with the server controlling the drops.2.) No, Blizzards main web site is not secure. Go to battle.net. The main page is NOT an https page. Yet if you are a Blizzard subscriber there sits your real name. That shows that this unsecured page is pulling information from a person's account and displaying it on the main page. if there is a path to pull up a persons name, that same path can be used to pull up any other information. Ever since they went to the new web site last year people have been asking Blizzard to explain what steps they are taking for people's information to be secure, especially after the Sony hack. They have refused to ever answer that question.3.) And the SC2 lag my friends talk about is yes, what other players cause. However, as they describe about how those other players throttle their connection, it does indeed cause lag for the other players.[/citation]
1) Find me a quote. I have seen nothing of the sort, and just like with the WoW GM... until you provide proof of your statement its simply not true. You have said they said it, so find it (I have briefly looked and found nothing).

2) Any log in information is secure. The ONLY thing that is not secure, is your first name. In regards to them not giving any information as to steps to protect information, no company would ever answer that to the public. That is revealing unnecessary information that malicious people would take advantage of. It is like asking somebody what their password is... of course you wont tell them.

3) If they cause lag, they will eventually lag out and drop from the game. This is what happens when you play with other people online, and it is not a result of bnet, and will have NO impact on your gameplay (especially in a game like D3)

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003

Learn how the internet works, lagging out doesn't exist because you play with other people. It's going to come from constantly sending bad packets or a complete loss of internet connection which both lies with the ISP. You will drop from D3 in an instant if your internet has a large enough hiccup and be back in town or if on hardcore, dead.[/citation]

I'll quote myself again for the Blizzard fan boys that don't know how their own games work.

*******: item gen doesn't happen on the client
*******: what happens is that the server encodes the item into a stream
*******: and sends the entire item data in a packet
*******: duping uses bugs in the server end
*******: when any operation is done with an item
*******: the game creates a copy
*******: so it can restore the original
*******: in case something misworks
*******: bluzrd is dumb and usually didn't delete the copies
*******: all you do is use the guid of the original
*******: and fetch it again
*******: via whatever the involved exploit was doing
*******: then there are lag dupes
*******: drop from the game before the server saves you
*******: and have someone in the game pick up the items you dropped
*******: this works but its harder
*******: because the game saves everyone when somebody leaves
*******: so it needs to lag very badly
*******: (think 50K ping)
*******: na people have been spamming the servers
*******: to make them lag

Accept it and stop beating around the bush, Blizzard couldn't code securely and clean up the trash so they are throwing away that part of the game. You really don't want to know how many bugs are breaking general gameplay you probably accepted as normal.

WoW even had lag duping for a considerable amount of time and guess what? It's server side just like D3.

Scrapping LAN and offline also completely killed off the modding community. Something I have been a part of for over 10 years. They can do all they want but it won't stop a private server from showing up for D3 like it already has for SC2.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Hunter_Killers[/nom]Learn how the internet works, lagging out doesn't exist because you play with other people. It's going to come from constantly sending bad packets or a complete loss of internet connection which both lies with the ISP. You will drop from D3 in an instant if your internet has a large enough hiccup and be back in town or if on hardcore, dead.[/citation]I'll quote myself again for the Blizzard fan boys that don't know how their own games work.*******: item gen doesn't happen on the client*******: what happens is that the server encodes the item into a stream*******: and sends the entire item data in a packet*******: duping uses bugs in the server end*******: when any operation is done with an item*******: the game creates a copy*******: so it can restore the original*******: in case something misworks*******: bluzrd is dumb and usually didn't delete the copies*******: all you do is use the guid of the original*******: and fetch it again*******: via whatever the involved exploit was doing*******: then there are lag dupes*******: drop from the game before the server saves you*******: and have someone in the game pick up the items you dropped*******: this works but its harder*******: because the game saves everyone when somebody leaves*******: so it needs to lag very badly*******: (think 50K ping)*******: na people have been spamming the servers*******: to make them lagAccept it and stop beating around the bush, Blizzard couldn't code securely and clean up the trash so they are throwing away that part of the game. You really don't want to know how many bugs are breaking general gameplay you probably accepted as normal.WoW even had lag duping for a considerable amount of time and guess what? It's server side just like D3.Scrapping LAN and offline also completely killed off the modding community. Something I have been a part of for over 10 years. They can do all they want but it won't stop a private server from showing up for D3 like it already has for SC2.[/citation]
The section you are quoting me on is lag in regards to lag in general with regard to bnet. He argues that bnet is always laggy, and I argue that it is not bnet that is laggy, but rather the individual that is laggy. The only thing you are doing in that first part is backing up my claims that it falls to the individuals internet connection rather than bnet issues.

I know that D2 had dupes and still has dupes, nobody is arguing against that. They didnt code securely in the beginning as they had no clue what to expect for the time, however blizzard has a CONSIDERABLE amount of experience in regards to these methods of hacking and likely will not make the same mistakes (there may exist other methods that will crop up, but you cant make everything completely perfect).

WoW never had lag duping. If there was lag duping you wouldnt have chinese farmers and the game would actually be in shambles right now because of how huge the item and gold market is in that game (and the fact that you can sell items to vendors to actually create more gold in the market).

I agree that it sucks that they killed the modding community, but for me personally I dont really care about that anyway. I also already addressed the very recent sc2 private servers that came out and the inevitability of them coming for D3.

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
Blizzard is still very much having problems with server splits or half of your game disconnecting after loading in SC2. The huge amount of single user disconnects also says something about the quality of the internet they are banking is available everywhere that none of these ISP's are willing to fix.

Being able to connect to the internet and browse is widely different than having a stable connection for gaming. My own ISP had to run another line from the pole to my house to fix the problems I was having after many tech calls.

There's also the large amount of drops happening during tournament games.

The RMT market isn't interested in tanking their profits from flooding the market with items. The problems arise when you have someone that is more or less a script kiddie that figures it out and suddenly you have tens or hundreds of these items flooding and crashing the market.

I'll give them credit for fixing it quickly after it was found(public). Yet they still can't or won't do anything about the rampant teleport gathering native to client side movement, probably the main reason chests were removed from the world.

viciouz2000

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I agree with him, from a bussiness perspective, i will only buy multiplayer games because they require a key or can't be hacked. Otherwise i would just download a hacked pc game just for the singleplayer side, and will be bored in 10 minutes and never play the game again. Seriously if you want a single player game, get a console system like xbox 360 and PS3.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Hunter_Killers[/nom]Blizzard is still very much having problems with server splits or half of your game disconnecting after loading in SC2. The huge amount of single user disconnects also says something about the quality of the internet they are banking is available everywhere that none of these ISP's are willing to fix.Being able to connect to the internet and browse is widely different than having a stable connection for gaming. My own ISP had to run another line from the pole to my house to fix the problems I was having after many tech calls.There's also the large amount of drops happening during tournament games.The RMT market isn't interested in tanking their profits from flooding the market with items. The problems arise when you have someone that is more or less a script kiddie that figures it out and suddenly you have tens or hundreds of these items flooding and crashing the market.I'll give them credit for fixing it quickly after it was found(public). Yet they still can't or won't do anything about the rampant teleport gathering native to client side movement, probably the main reason chests were removed from the world.[/citation]
I have about 900 total games played in SC2 (excluding games of SotIS) and very very few have had people disconnecting, though the vast bulk of those games have been 1v1. I have had far more disconnects in SotIS though, but I think thats because people have horrible computers (the loading screen for that can sometimes take like 5 minutes because of other people). This "huge amount" you depict is not at all accurate, at least on the US servers. The drops in tournament games is because of the local situation of having 300 computers using the internet in a single location (and even more wireless connections from laptops and cell phones) on top of broadcasting the game live over the internet to hundreds of thousands of people. I mean, if you watched the DotA 2 tournament stream it was PLAGUED with lag just because of the sheer number of people watching and their venue couldnt handle it.

In regards to tanking the market from flooding... true, but not true. They are smart, for sure, but because they are smart they should realize a market medium that results in the most profitability. Selling a single item listed at 40k once every couple of days is not as good as selling 4 per day at 10k. Given the number of people in the game that are willing to pay lots of gold (or money) for items, if there were a duping market available to WoW then you would see far far more higher level items, and they would constantly be up for sale at the AH. However, this simply doesnt happen. You would also see this to be true across all realms, which again, doesnt happen.

In regards to the teleport hacks, they do what they can with them. The scale of WoW prevents them from banning all of them, and they usually have to unban many of them because 99% of them are hacked accounts. The reason why it actually works is pretty simple, WoW handles a LOT of stuff on the clientside because otherwise the servers would simply be overloaded.

Massacher

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
it didn't work for WoW and it won't work for D3. someone will eventually create a server emulator and then once again, won't need to be online to play. nice try Blizz, if people don't want to play online then they will find a way around it. making it mandatory to be online with always on DRM just encourages the hackers to break it.

it will not be 100% effective.

gg

G

I just realized that most of you who praise D3 are "snobs"
I Don't mind activating any online, Nor do I mind steam = all of my steam games are being played in offline mode.
I don't like playing multi-player, I always play single player games.
Yet I do only have a connection about 3 times a month.
This stopped me buying Darkspore, although I Bought Settlers 7, but Cracked it.
Most of the people in S.A. won't touch a UBI Soft Game or any Steam related game.
So we (3rd world) gamers, people, are less then you?
I have been buying all my games for the last 20 years. So this is how we, who buys games are being treated?
Don't you people have any respect?
No wonder us "3rd worlder's" don't like you guys!

Massacher

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
"Maybe if I was a hardcore gamer like these people who spend 2/3 of their day paying wow etc.. I would be pissed.. but for the majority.. I dont see what people are complaining about."

i used to be one of those people. i would play a minimum of 12 hours on WoW. up to 16 or 18 hours a day. one time i even stayed up 24 hours straight. but i felt terrible after.

why would you be pissed? i prefer online only games. single player games aren't as appealing as they used to be. i remember playing on single player games back before we had broadband. but when we finally got connected to the broadband network back in 2005 i haven't looked back.

Massacher

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Massacher[/nom]"Maybe if I was a hardcore gamer like these people who spend 2/3 of their day paying wow etc.. I would be pissed.. but for the majority.. I dont see what people are complaining about."

i used to be one of those people. i would play a minimum of 12 hours on WoW. up to 16 or 18 hours a day. one time i even stayed up 24 hours straight. but i felt terrible after.

why would you be pissed? i prefer online only games. single player games aren't as appealing as they used to be. i remember playing on single player games back before we had broadband. but when we finally got connected to the broadband network back in 2005 i haven't looked back.

i do still however enjoy single player games. but they are few and far between nowadays.

"makes me very sad bc i loved blizz my whole life till wow came out"

i didn't know about blizzard until WoW came out. i had heard of Warcraft but never got into it. RTS just isn't my thing.

but even i think they are being greedy by having a real money AH. just makes it easier for the gold farmers. they won't have to use in game currency anymore. they can get pure cash pretty much right away.[/citation]

G

Pathetic excuse for "we can't do our coding right, we don't think through our code as we write it, so we better not put out our server-side code for people to find bugs in".

Go open-source and let people *find and fix* your bugs instead of hiding them in a "security through obscurity" model.

Status
Not open for further replies.