Blizzard Explains Diablo 3 72-Hour Lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
um... how does it take 3 days to check a credit card? hell, steam gives me games 5 seconds after i press the purchase button... well except for painkiller black, but i got that a day later and they ran out of keys for the game so i understand it.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
"Apparently here's what Blizzard doesn't want to see: gamers purchasing the digital copy and blowing through the game before the company discovers that a fraudulent credit card has been used"

Actually, the point is lock new (unverified) accounts out of the auction house to prevent it from being flooded by fraudulent bot accounts.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]erunion[/nom]"Apparently here's what Blizzard doesn't want to see: gamers purchasing the digital copy and blowing through the game before the company discovers that a fraudulent credit card has been used"Actually, the point is lock new (unverified) accounts out of the auction house to prevent it from being flooded by fraudulent bot accounts.[/citation]

So the actual point is who cares about the customer as long as we can nickle and dime them to death still.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
We appreciate player feedback and will continue to evaluate the best methods for ensuring a positive game experience for everyone.

I think your kinda failing hun.

Maybe you should try another method, like, maybe not attacking your customer base of loyal purchasers? I know fraud happens in every aspect of every market, but I've never been told that type of thing while ordering 1500$ in Pc parts from newegg just to be sure I'm actually going to pay, I might find it acceptable for the cost being transferred, but for a 60$ game that seems to not work or punish players more then it benefits them? I'll keep passing on Diablo III.

It's too bad really, publishers keep harming their customer base in an attempt, a foolish one at that, to stop a handful of badeggs.

I guess it saves me money to put into games for my Vita. Its in need of a library at the moment.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]So the actual point is who cares about the customer as long as we can nickle and dime them to death still.[/citation]

I don't see how you got that from what I said. This move is about securing the servers from abuse. It has nothing to do with increasing revenue (because it doesn't increase revenue).

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]So the actual point is who cares about the customer as long as we can nickle and dime them to death still.[/citation]
No, the actual point is to protect everybody and prevent laundering and fraudulent purchases which hurts everybody.

If somebody has a stolen credit card, uses the RMAH to purchase items from their own accounts or to purchase items to resell for money, then cash out to their own paypal account... that is a serious issue.

Get off the hate bandwagon and use your brain.

that1bozo

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
I'm with bluestar... all my friends have are D3 horror stories no one has a good thing to say about it aside from one neutral at best.. "the auction ate my gold and my items but blizz gave em back after a few emails" a few emails? He said it as if he were happy things he acquired in a game that should WORK better than most f2p games since you pay for it... were given back to him.

They dropped the ball on D3, and continue to kick it towards the out of bounds line, it's sad.

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
I had this problem and It wouldn't allow me to level my character up beyond 38. Someone in the general chat suggested changing my password and proceeded to do so. It fixed this issues, at least with my character not having an xp meter.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I'm unfamiliar with Diablo 3, but if players can't hit the limit of the Starter account (leveling up for example) within 3 days, I think that's reasonable.

Except for those who play for 20 hours per day. Then again, they might need medical attention, fast.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]um... how does it take 3 days to check a credit card? hell, steam gives me games 5 seconds after i press the purchase button... well except for painkiller black, but i got that a day later and they ran out of keys for the game so i understand it.[/citation]

Stolen/fraud credit cards require more than 5 seconds of time to be reported and deactivated.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Sounds like something not worth bothering with until it's $20. Isn't that the point of the cash shop anyway, to make more than the initial purchase price could?

Not like I have any shortage of games to play through anyway.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]TheRabidDeer[/nom]No, the actual point is to protect everybody and prevent laundering and fraudulent purchases which hurts everybody.If somebody has a stolen credit card, uses the RMAH to purchase items from their own accounts or to purchase items to resell for money, then cash out to their own paypal account... that is a serious issue.Get off the hate bandwagon and use your brain.[/citation]

I have a better solution, remove the RMAH.

There goes the reason for the always online though.

Funny how people defend it when it's Blizzard, but bash it when Ubisoft does it.

metathias

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Had i known Blizzard would stoop to these measures i never would have purchased Diablo 3. I am very much against draconian measures. If i pay for a game I own it not them. I deserve full access to my full version of the game. I dont remember paying for a starter edition. That should be free.

BigBodZod

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
[citation][nom]leongrado[/nom]Why do we keep getting Diablo III/Blizzard news everyday again? Are there no other games out there?[/citation]

Certainly, I'm still getting arrows to the knee myself, never had so much fun with all the modding for my $60.00 bucks ;)

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]erunion[/nom]"Apparently here's what Blizzard doesn't want to see: gamers purchasing the digital copy and blowing through the game before the company discovers that a fraudulent credit card has been used"Actually, the point is lock new (unverified) accounts out of the auction house to prevent it from being flooded by fraudulent bot accounts.[/citation]
In that case they could lock AH only, not limit the content to a single encounter.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]In that case they could lock AH only, not limit the content to a single encounter.[/citation]

That would create 2 different starter editions. Plus things like not being able to play global and not being able to join public games probably cut down on gold spammers, so are also needed.

Letting the starter edition play to the end of the first act might help. But that still doesn't fix the inability for starter edition to play with full version friends.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Activision have started to corrupt the company at its core. Today its just ONE word that seems to rule them all - Greed!

* How many million $ did the company get from Diablo 3 and it sells at 60$(€) and that is premium pricing, how many players could actually properly play their purchased game in the first two weeks?! I'm sure the loyal fans enjoyed it!

* How long time was it since WoW got any content patch? How many million dollars in pure profit do Blizzard rake in from that game alone each month?! I'm sure the loyal WoW players like to do the same 8 bosses for over 6 months!

* Starcraft 2 that was supposed to follow the hugely successful Starcraft one that have been a major Lan game at any Lan party, today Sc2 is played at few since it forces everyone to be online to play. I'm sure the loyal Starcraft players like that!

I for one will not look back on a Blizzard title after this, all pointing that the company put greed ahead of the players. I once were a loyal Blizzard fan and have bought every title since the first Diablo. Whats good however is that there are many small companies (much like Blizzard were at the old days) that care most about their customers rather then their own greed - Torchlight 2 look to be from such company!

R.I.P - Old Blizzard that made good games and placed the customers ahead of greed - You will be missed!

G

Loool ! I used to work in Blizz EU in their payment investigations team on Wow. I remember getting hired by Blizzard and thinking it was the greatest thing ever. In the end, I actually spent a good 3 years there, before I'd had enough. The thing is that outside their brilliant games development teams, which i still very much respect, the rest of the organisation is in fact run pretty amateurish. I remember sitting in the PI team as it was called and screaming out loud: "look you can't do that to paying customers - we have to be happy they even want to pay for our service!" but, we had no management, no oversigt and not enough people with real world experience basically meant that 4 guys in a room can make big decisions which undermine the greatness that is Blizzard games. You would expect Morhaime to step up and say "guys, I'll let you handle the day-to-day, but stop 'effing up my company on this topic" but it just never happened. Sad, but not surprising, to currently see a brilliant legacy do facepalm after facepalm.

G

WOW it just never stops with them. They just want to b the most hated dev company now O.O

Status
Not open for further replies.