Blizzard hands major private WOW servers DMCA.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Are you blind and illiterate because this is an XP OEM and its revisions EULA only. Are you intentionally not play and just dumb. Im beginning to think your are 5 years old as you dont understand no other OS is mentioned.
IT'S NOT EVEN AN EULA!!! IT'S A LIST OF CHANGE. Please elbert, what is your native language? I think I could probably communicate this idea in a language I've never studied better than you can understand English.

Stop trying to twist the EULA it doesn't say pre-xp but revisions and updates. That revisions and updates for XP only.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

Once again this IS NOT and EULA!

Second of all it says "previous operating system versions". What exactly do you take that to mean?

Well your list of changes is about
revisions and updates to the Windows XP EULA terms

Its not a change to any other operating system. It does not state any other operating system. Microsoft no longer supports updates or changes to windows 98SE and back.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

It's not a change TO Windows 98SE, it's a change FROM Windows 98SE and other earlier versions. Do you understand the difference in the meaning of the two words "TO" and "FROM"?

What this document says is "Here are a list of things that are different in XP FROM previous versions."
It then goes on to say that there is NO difference in transferability.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
How about this; Since you claim to be and educated person you must understand the value of presenting evidence to back up your argument (which you have not yet done). How about you provide some evidence that there is a difference in transferability between XP and 98, specifically in regards to the EULA. I'll be waiting.

Sorry but your wrong as that means the past revisions of xp. These are called builds and they number in the thousands. The end user only see a hand full of these build/revisions.

Many of these changes were made to reduce the length of the Windows XP Product EULA as well as to reorder the terms for improved readability.
revisions and updates to the Windows XP EULA terms from previous operating system versions.
Revisions, updates, and versions all the same as they old XP build changes.

Note: from windows xp previous system versions.

I already showed you this once but what the ha. Ill only post the important part of the windows 98 EULA.
"You may permanently transfer all of your rights under this EULA only as part of a permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE.
Transfer of hardware here means moving the OS form one PC to another.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

You lack of understanding of the English languages is quite evident. OF does not mean the same as TO nor does TO mean the same as FROM. I notice that you frequently misuse or completely forget to use these words called Prepositions so it's no wonder you have difficulty understanding their use.

Transfer of the HARDWARE, means the hardware itself is being transferred.
Transfer to the HARDWARE, means that something (ie software) is being transferred in the direction of the hardware.
Transfer from the HARDWARE, means the something (ie software) is being transferred away from of the hardware.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I already showed you this once but what the ha. Ill only post the important part of the windows 98 EULA.
The wording is "previous operating systems versions", not previous XP versions.

Here is the wording Microsoft uses in the XP retail version to allow transferability. Please show me where any such language exist in any previous OEM EULA:
13. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms.

Well pope your not god so for sure you dont know everything. Microsoft in no way care where you move your computer. They sure are not going to waste lawyers on limiting me moving my pc from the den to the living room. That being said its both of your last attempts at none godliness. IE the OS and rights are being moved away from the old hardware and to the new hardware.

This is tighter control over XP. My previous post is the only wording. IE lot less tight on what you can do with the OS.
"You may permanently transfer all of your rights under this EULA only as part of a permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Well pope your not god so for sure you dont know everything.
I know what prepositions are and how to use them.

The line you are talking about is not about transferring from one machine to another, because that is prohibited by previous clauses. Transfer in this case means it can only occur from one person to another IF (there's those nasty prepositions again) it's on the original unit. That's way using the term "recipient agrees". Obviously another computer cannot legally agree to anything.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
BTW, I know we're a bit off topic here, but what ever happened to those changes to the World of Warcraft EULA that you claimed?

Now if I purchased WOTLK with its new EULA I would be ethnically in the wrong. Thus Im not buying that either. Hence Ill be playing 2.4.3 BC.
What was different between the WoW 2.4.3 EULA and the WotLK EULA?

Show be the windows 98SE EULA clauses prohibiting the transfer of the OS from machine to another.

Permanent sale is to sale to another person. So what does the nasty or transfer of the hardware mean. Permenent sale or sale makes no sense. Transfer of the hardware does not mean sale as that is covered my permanent sale. Transfer of the hardware doesn't mean MS is allowing me to move my PC. It does mean transfer of the hardware which i have rights to run the OS on.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Transfer means any exchange which is not a sale. For example giving your old computer to a friend or to a school.

There are other legal situations in which only a sale would be covered for tax or other purposes. For example with the sale of a car, you can't just simply transfer your deed from one person to another, there has to be a bill of sale or some other documentation.

But in the Windows EULA transfer is specified as to ensure that there needs to be no bill of sale, receipt, etc to prove the change of ownership of the license. It always stays with the hardware.

The reason for this concern was that people would donate an old PC to a school or church or some other organization and there would be concern that without a bill of sale the new owner could not prove they had a valid license for the OS or other software on the donated unit. Thus any transfer of the hardware would constitute a change of ownership in the license.

One thing the EULA change for the better was prohibiting bots. Its about time they got off their bums and fix some thing wrong with there service.
http://guidingrights.blogcollective.com/blog/_archives/2008/11/26/3996470.html
Recently, the operator of World of Warcraft (WoW) MMO, objected to the development of a software add-on, called WoW Glider, that allowed a user's character in the game to play even after the user signs off. Such add-ons (known as "bots") were explicitly prohibited by the World of Warcraft Terms of Use (TOU), incorporated into the EULA. MDY Industries, LLC v. Blizzard Entertainment, Inc., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 53998 (D. Ariz. 2008).

Blizzard claimed that the copy of the World of Warcraft client software loaded into RAM by a user running WoW Glider was an infringement because the copy violated the TOU and therefore of the EULA. The court agreed, holding that the TOU limited the license granted by the EULA. Thus, any operation of the software contrary to the TOU, such as running bots like the WoW Glider, was copyright infringement.

Dang 1.5 billion revenue annually off a single game.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Show be the windows 98SE EULA clauses prohibiting the transfer of the OS from machine to another.

If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is not accompanied by a new computer system or computer system component, you may not use or copy the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Single COMPUTER. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed with the HARDWARE as a single integrated product. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT may only be used with the HARDWARE as set forth in this EULA.
The software is considered a single product with the hardware it is sold with, (ie the Original Equipment, as in OEM). There are only two conditions under which any transfer of the software can occur, and both require that it remain intact with the original hardware.

Ok i'm giving my OS off my old PC to my new PC. Now does that fix your understanding of transfer of the HARDWARE?

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

No, because you still don't understand the many of the word "of". Applying the word "of" to the relationship between a verb(ie Transfer) and a noun (ie HARDWARE) means the verb is what's happening to the noun, not that the noun is enacting the verb. Transfer of Hardware explicitly means the hardware is what's being transferred, not that something is being transferred to or from the hardware. Is that too difficult to understand?

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

What was the change? Do you not understand what that word means either? I'm really starting to think you're trolling here because it's hard to believe you really have that much trouble with the English language. What is you first language anyways?

BTW: Blogs are usually not the best sources.

Sorry but your wrong. Transfer of the hardware means the software moving to other hardware. Even with XP a customer rep can allow this and be activated. The software is considered a single product but depends as set forth in the rest of the EULA.
Separation of Components. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed as
a single product. Its component parts may not be separated for use on
more than one computer
the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may be used and transferred only as part of that single product package and may not be separated for use on more than one computer.
You can seperate the OS under this and move it to other hardware. You can remove the OS from the old system and install on a new system thus only one computer. Not more than one as it doesn't allow in that case.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Sorry but your wrong. Transfer of the hardware means the software moving to other hardware. Even with XP a customer rep can allow this and be activated. The software is considered a single product but depends as set forth in the rest of the EULA.
I'm sorry I have to quit here. You don't even have a basic understanding of English.

The term "Transfer of the " followed by a noun explicitly means the the noun is what is being transferred. There is no other meaning.

The change was blizzard finally did something good for there customers. Must I explain how? Is this to hard to understand?

Bye!!! What you didn't understand it rights. Hardware right in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.