Blizzard hands major private WOW servers DMCA.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry I cant understand your opinion of opinion sentence. Sorry but your example is a hypothesis not an opinion. An opinion is something you think is right for yourself. IE my opinion is people shouldn't drive. My opinion is people should smoke.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

If your opinion is that it's ok to ignore the WoW EULA and play on private servers then that is a valid opinion. I may not agree with it, but it is still vaild.

If your opinion is that there is a difference between the EULAs of WoW 2.4 and 3.0 which changes whether or not you should play on private servers then that is not a valid opinion because there are facts which prove it wrong.

In case you are still unsure what is opinion and what is fact;
Saying red is your favorite color is a valid opinion.
Saying the number 3 is an even number is not a valid opinion because it is contradicted by facts.

Sorry but you assume here as the $40 for DOS wasn't retail. I did compare apples to apples and my economics teachers stated servers thousand times. If you was mislead sorry.

Sales for linux and price have stayed the same with little or no theft. Mac prices have went down but sales are up with some theft from business cloning. Point is price increases theft and granted laws are made to protect. Laws have a hard time protect theft from greed.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

No, I wasn't saying $40 for DOS was retail. I was pointing out that $300 for XP was. All of your complaints against XP have been about the OEM restrictions. It is misleading on your part to go on for 3 pages complaining about Microsoft's OEM policies and then quote the retail price.

Comparing Linux and Mac prices to Windows is also misleading because you are talking about 3 completely different business models. Here you are clearly not comparing apples to apples, you're comparing Apples to PCs.

I already said I was sorry if I mislead you. See the problem here is DOS as far as I remember was never OEM as is current. IBM in a way could be seen as an OEM DOS but not really as it was a separate OS. So I could not compare as a none OEM DOS compared to OEM XP and keep it Apples to Apples.

Really like your pun on apples. Its true they have different business models but similar produces. Which is better is always the question. MS and blizzards business model clearly invites theft.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
MS and blizzards business model clearly invites theft.
All for profit businesses invite theft. Linux is fairly immune because it's open source and largely free.

Mac on the other hand is less prone to theft because they are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, more restrictive than Microsoft. Even if you pirate a copy of Mac OS, you still pretty much have to have Mac hardware to run it, and even then it has to be Mac hardware which is compatible with that software.

Imagine if Microsoft started only selling versions of Windows which could only be run on one brand of PC, let's say Dell or maybe some new Microsoft brand. You could no longer build your own or choose between brands. If you wanted or needed to us Windows you had to buy everything from them. Is that really better than what they do now?

Microsoft does sale versions that only work on say compaq, emachines, HP, ect as those company's have there OEM's. Now if Apple did release its OS for all PC's MS would stand to loss major market shares. Business would migrate in large masses. Gamers would slowly migrate to Apples OS due to the only good development Microsoft has done which is DirectX.

Now it can be agreed that this diversity in MS product is why it has a much large sales than Apple and linux. Like all other PC hardware should this increased volume of sells mean lower price for the OS. Shouldn't MS be able to sale it's OS for less than Apples? Lets call it what it is a wider sales margin. The wider the sales margin the more you invite theft and competition. Granted competition is good for market but both are bad for stockholders.

Apple has already taken a small chunk of MS business by way of higher sales. MS wastes money on adds instead of returning to what made them the choice. Price as PC with MS OS was the lower prices in the 80's and 90's. Now prices are even and MS doesn't react by reducing margins in just gross negligent on there part.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008

There was a Marks and Spencers Ad on UK TV a few weeks back with some egotistical twat wannabe Ramsey Chef starting off by saying "It is my opinion and therefore fact that you cant beat a good steak".
Believe its been pulled now for irritating the majority of the country.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Microsoft does sale versions that only work on say compaq, emachines, HP, ect as those company's have there OEM's.
No, Microsoft sells volume licenses to those companies, who in turn produce their own restricted media to package with their hardware. You can't buy these versions of Windows from Microsoft.

Nice rewording but restricted versions of xp none the less. You should put yes when you reword my sentence. Note versions and volume licenses here is the same. Who in turn produces their own restricted media and as those company's have there OEM is the same. Its true you don't buy this version straight from MS but I didn't state that nor imply. That said if its an upgrade promise by the OEM the new upgrade does come from MS.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

Microsoft does not sell versions of Windows that only work on certain brand PCs. They sell a license to manufacturers to use there software in that manufacturers computers. The OEM produces the media which is restricted to only that brand. It actually has nothing to do with Windows. HP/Compaq (same company in case you didn't know) and e Machines generally package images not the actual OS install files with there systems. THEY, not Microsoft own the rights to that image, it's their (the OEM's) decision how it can be used and what types of restrictions they put on it.

Assuming I didnt mean license. LOL!!! FYI some times its almost the same when the OS is brand new. In fact at time they use ghost writer or other just image copys. Yes I know HP/Compaq isn't the same company but HP is the parent company of Compaq. Like my more correct rewording? Also gateway is the parent company of Emachine. Restrictions is MS licensing so your somewhat incorrect. Those OEM may have add some terms.

bovine_god

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

Dude... elbert
I was just sitting here reading these posts, trying to find some useful information, and while doing this, something interesting struck me as rather ironic.

I seem to constanly see you insulting people's ability to read, yet you yourself seem to have a problem with correct spelling and grammar...

Just so you know....

"other" is supposed to be "either"...
after "chart" you should have a comma... A comma looks like this "," ...
"Thou shout" means "you yell" in BAD Elizibethan english... it SHOULD be spelled "thou shalt"
"rip of" should be "rip-off"

Everything i just mentioned was contained in only four sentences.

Perhaps this is the ACTUAL reason why people misunderstand you so readily.

I guess typing is where you failed.

bovine_god

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

I was just curious when Microsoft made a version of windows for the Mac.
??

bovine_god

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
By the by, every OEM image of an OS has a liscence sitting on a stock shelf somewhere in the back room back at HQ (headquarters) of the company.

Otherwise the company selling said OEM system could be sued for violation of intellectual property rights or some such.

Being that MS would go after Joe Blow for pirating one copy, can you honestly believe that they would NOT go after a company selling THOUSANDS of modified copies of an established software set?

I was working for HP/Compaq nearly three years ago, at my last count, so the laws may have changed during the interim, though im relativly sure they wouldn't change such a good money-making strategy.

As many others I don't take time to proof read. I have no problem reading and understanding poorly wrote messages. I guess reading poor writing is the true gift of the digital age. I guess you have learned the art else you couldn't correct my mistakes. I guess you never have to worry about me insulting you about your ability to read.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

Who said anything about Microsoft making a version of Windows for Macs?

bovine_god

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

Your response most definitely does NOT become you, and to be quite honest, I actually don't care to debate this with you.

I just felt that someone should stand up to your "holier-than-thou" attitude.
You struck me as someone just a little too full of themself, and in my view it was rather hypocritical of you, not to mention rather insulting.

Please notice the fact that I am using the past tense to describe this in the hopes that you will "take the hint".

With that said...

I play WoW (world of warcraft), and as anyone who plays that game knows, reading "typo-ese" is a necessary skill if you plan on understanding fully half of what people say in that game.

Other than that, I have no "beef" with you, or anyone else, for that matter. I am most happy to continue reading and learning.

bovine_god

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

Well, Mr. Rat (I use the term endearingly),

In a previous post you had said the following;

"Microsoft does not sell versions of Windows that only work on certain brand PCs."

It is quite possible that the Mac is not considered a "PC" but the industry standard, but by mine, it most definitely is a "personal computer" although not a "clone", as we like to call them.

Hopefully that explains my comment to a fuller extent.

Regards,

The Cow God.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

While Microsoft may not make a Mac specific version, Windows can be installed on Macs and there's nothing wrong with doing so from a licensing stand point. Anyways, that really wasn't the point I was trying to make so many months ago. What I was trying to explain is that there is nothing code wise in Windows which blocks the OS from installing on hardware which it is otherwise compatible with just because it's not the right brand. That sort of protection is added at the OEM level.

bovine_god

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

you have a point.. and I completely missed the original posting date...
my bad.

reed111775

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
well, I have read all this because it was like a car accident... I couldn't look away.

Elbert. you're an idiot. you complain that its ok for you to play WOW on private servers because the EULA didn't specifically tell you that you couldn't. I'm sorry, but that is the problem with the world today. use your common sense! Blizzard puts out a good product, and for a fair price. they constantly strive to upgrade and make the game better. this is their intellectual property that they share with us for a price. A price that we agree to the moment we make the decision to purchase the game. you are an adult, and as an adult, you should know better than to steal. and before you try to feed me that crap about how you purchased the client and aren't the one that set up the private server, understand this... if you participate in something wrong willingly, you are JUST AS GUILTY!

as far as I can tell, Blizzard has put out a great product, and done their best to balance business with customer satisfaction. you are never going to make everyone happy, just accept that. they have not raised their rates, and even if they did, I always have the option to cancel my account. But I would never take that as a legitimate reason to slap on my eyepatch and start pirating someone elses hard work. You seem to think that the cost of servers has gone down, therefore, the savings should be passed on to you. I can see that, but at the same time, they have overhead to pay for upgrades, programmers for new content, the next big game they are working on, etc....

so please, for the love of little cute puppies, shut up and accept that you are in the wrong. you are stealing by playing on a private server. it MAY not be legally wrong, but it IS morally wrong. Grow up and pay the cost of being an adult.

thank you all, and good night! :)

bovine_god

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

i get your point.. but you pay for the liscence to have a copy.. and then you pay separate price (per month) for a blizzard account.

this stands to reason that if i were so inclined i COULD use it on my OWN server (if i had one) becaus ei have bought the liscence to use the game.
if i dont pay for an account i may not play on blizzards servers.

this is a little like buying a car and then driving it on your farm property without a liscence to drive..

if your next door neighbour allows you to drive on HIS farm too, would that be illegal?

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
cabbage2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS