Blizzard: Heart of the Swarm Unvelied in May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I'd sleep way better not knowing that video ever existed. I'm not going to see it, but it's still so tempting...

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Just actually read that Blizz have amanged to sell only 4.5 mil copies of the first part til Feb 2011, far below their expectations of 7 mil copies.

Blizz should have listened to customers and included a LAN multilayer option. In the meantime my cash stays in the bank and away from Blizz's accounts.

The sales figures also come to support what a lot of people believe - that piracy actually sells and does not harm companies profits! Tens of millions of people were before playing SC 1 and eventually hepled Blizz sell 8 - 11 million copies. The current SC 2 comunity is pretty small and a lot of the sales were actually helped by the massive SC 1 crowd, that would not be there to support their next part/version. curious if they'll manage to sell 3 mill of the secong expansion.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
They mentioned before that each version would be a stand alone, so for example someone with this new one coming out would be able to play with someone who bought the Terran version. But I really don't see this happening because it would likely mean no multi-player changes. (Well assuming they don't make changes and just patch the Terran version for free)

I really don't see the future SCII titles being standalone for one prime reason and that is piracy. If there aren't any MP changes exclusive to the new titles this gives no reason for anyone to buy them instead of pirating. All they would need is a legit version of Wings of Liberty and they would be good to go if they want to play MP if the promise of the future titles were standalone and compatible with the other versions.

I even emailed Blizzard about this to see what their two cents were on the subject and to see if they actually thought about this. I got a short email basically saying that they have not decided if they will release it as a standalone or not. Which obviously is backpedaling already so its obvious that it won't be the case.

deejay83

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
There are no Diablo III news.

Starcraft II not being as succesful as Blizzard thought it will be... Non shocking tbh.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Blizzard said originally that each game would be a stand-alone product, but that the multiplayer component between the 3 games would be unchanged and available regardless of which version you buy. i.e. You would not have to re-purchase it if you already had it with Wings of Liberty, and would thus cost less money.

I'll be surprised if this actually happens, tbh. I fully expect that they'll charge full price for it. They thought WoL sales were lower than expected, HotS will be even lower if they end-up charging another $60 for it.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Why bother showing videos and making press conferences for a game which will come out next year or later???
Aaahhh yeah, the hype...
This is like Dr. Dre album - first hype the people out, than collect your cash, nice strategy.

G

What I'm waiting for...

PRESS RELEASE

Blizzard Entertainment has announcing that it's upcoming followup to its "Record breaking" Starcraft 2 series, The Heart of the Swarm, will contain a new LAN Gaming function. It will only be available for those who have purchased the new Zerg-focused game.

I would seriously die laughing....

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]everlast66[/nom]Just actually read that Blizz have amanged to sell only 4.5 mil copies of the first part til Feb 2011, far below their expectations of 7 mil copies. Blizz should have listened to customers and included a LAN multilayer option. In the meantime my cash stays in the bank and away from Blizz's accounts.The sales figures also come to support what a lot of people believe - that piracy actually sells and does not harm companies profits! Tens of millions of people were before playing SC 1 and eventually hepled Blizz sell 8 - 11 million copies. The current SC 2 comunity is pretty small and a lot of the sales were actually helped by the massive SC 1 crowd, that would not be there to support their next part/version. curious if they'll manage to sell 3 mill of the secong expansion.[/citation]
The figure of 4.5 million games is from December 2010, not February 2011. So in 5 months it sold 3 times more than what the original SC did in one year (the original SC sold 1.5 million games in it's first year). Yes the original games sold about 10 million copies but let's not forget it achieved this number by being on sale for more than 10 years, in fact it still is on sale. I hardly call it a failure, and even blizzard said that the game was a commercial success.

I do agree on the LAN bit. It was a pity Blizzard removed it.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Whats the point of Blizz keep trying with this franchise... its dead to me now which amazes me because i grew up a diehard blizzard fan till sc2 came out... and seeing how d3 is gonna be.... Company turned into a typical greedy company. Im gonna stick with my Indie Games. Its a shame what they did to this game I curse Activision everyday for infesting Blizzard.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]deejay83[/nom]There are no Diablo III news.Starcraft II not being as succesful as Blizzard thought it will be... Non shocking tbh.[/citation]
I'm just gonna wait until all 3 parts are out and are sold as a discounted warchest. I don't know how successful that will be considering they still want like 40$ for the D2 one.

Normally I just wait for the inevitable 50-75% off steam sale to pick up AAA titles, but that doesn't work with Blizzard games for obvious reasons.

n1k0

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I'd respond to "how bad SC2 is" but instead I'm going to alt-tab back and queue up for another game.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
SCII abandoned what made starcraft so good. the OG wasn't overly complicated... just build fast, now there are so many new units and EVERTHING is different. i own people in the original but in SCII it's like learning a completely different game, i mean everything feels different but not in a good way. also the online play is unappealing and not very intuitive i like the old style where you pick a game. i dislike matchmaking and where are the max resource and faster maps? sorry SCII you failed

frostfire626

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I'm eagerly awaiting the "Zerg Revival" that will hopefully arrive with HoTS. Zerg is currently the most difficult race to succeed with, and we definitely use the morale boost.

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
fuck your starcraft2 money milking blizzard...give us diablo 3 already....I'll be happy to torrent it to a gazzillion pirates aaarrr, since...you know, you took away LAN play you greedy mofo's.
At least Torchlight2 will have LAN play

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]The figure of 4.5 million games is from December 2010, not February 2011. So in 5 months it sold 3 times more than what the original SC did in one year (the original SC sold 1.5 million games in it's first year). Yes the original games sold about 10 million copies but let's not forget it achieved this number by being on sale for more than 10 years, in fact it still is on sale. I hardly call it a failure, and even blizzard said that the game was a commercial success.I do agree on the LAN bit. It was a pity Blizzard removed it.[/citation]
What I meant is that the sales of SC2 were helped by a massive SC1 comunity, probably 10 mil SC1 buyers and 50-100 mil pirates, all playing the game on Bnet or LAN, making fan websites, writing about strategies, units, the cinematics, etc - a fanatic following. And with the help of this fanatic community managed to sell 4.5 mil of SC2 due to their greed and stupidity (removing features).

Now SC2 is played by 4 mil people or less, I rarely hear people discussing this game at all. By today's standrds this is rather mediocre. What sales would you expect for that to bring when they release the next exp?

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
maybe just maybe blizzard learned from there mistakes on the first one.. maybe just maybe this will light a fire under there asses and they will bring about the LAN aspect of it. I know of about 30 people here in the town i live in that were ready to LAN play this game and decided not to buy it becuase you cannot play on a LAN same thing with black ops you cant connect to a server from a single IP address to play at home with multiple people thru a single internet connection this is activision doing all this stupid crap

Status
Not open for further replies.