Blizzard ''Struggling'' to Launch Marketplace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostfire626

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
The whole marketplace concept never made much sense to me. So many fantastic custom maps were released in SC1 free of charge, and switching to a micro-transaction system would be a very tough sell.

Best to dump the idea now and focus on more promising features.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Cool. So I have to stick to the crappy way of getting maps That involves that battle.net thing. Thanks blizzard.
Things like this are the reason why I like StarCraft 1 more.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I'm interested in Starcraft 2, but to be honest, I'm more interested in Starcraft 1.
Warcraft 3 TFT is still one of my favorite games today.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
"acknowledged other solutions offered by Blizzard's competitors. "More power to them," he added. "But we haven't done it yet. So there's going to be a bunch of work for us to figure out how to get this done. But it's something we're working on." "

this here... this is why i like blizzard admiting others have done it and well but saying they want to take the time to get it right... i know some peopel dislike ths abotu them but its why i always love blizzard titles

anyd while i'm unlikely to buy maps on a whim if i see somethign that genuinly looks fun to play on then i might jump on it provided i get to see the mod/layout before hand

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Personally, I would not want to pay for other people's maps. If I really liked it, I would send a donation to the author/designer the same way WowInterface does it. Provide the players a way of securely sending money voluntarily.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Warcraft Adventures? Never heard of that. As for the marketplace, I'm also sure their only "problem" is how to make the most money out of it. It's really not complicated for them to put out a marketplace. Modders rights? They're surrending them by uploading a map to Blizzard. Plain and simple. Money is what's holding the project back.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Or they could set a bar, they can do just X much work to protect the data and then let it go after that. There is no perfect solution and if they keep trying to find the perfect it will never be completed. :) Best to pick a good solution and just move forward.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
[citation][nom]joelmartinez[/nom]I won't pay for another player's map, I wonder how many people have my same view[/citation]

Neither will I, maps should be free...after all it's just a map!

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
The custom map feature is broken... There are tons of maps that I'd like to play but can never get people for... I sure won't be paying for a map if there's a chance I won't be able to play it.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I don't play Starcraft but this reminds me of what Valve has done recently with Team fortress 2 when they launched the Mann Conomy Update. They basically made microtransactions an optional feature of the game but not something that would unbalance the gameplay. Instead, almost everything available to buy you can get through playing the game but the random chance of that specific item dropping is pretty low, though still obtainable. What I also like is that they made a donation system for map makers. And you receive a donation hat to wear in game to show that you supported someone. I've seen quite a lot of people who has apparently supported their favorite map makers and even weapon makers. I think that is a pretty good idea they should try while they launch their Marketplace, then work it up from there.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Warcraft Adventures? Never heard of that. [/citation]
That was the game where you 'followed the story' and made choices, kind of like 'kings quest'. That game introduced the background of Thrall's rise as the warchief of the Horde.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Warcraft Adventures? Never heard of that. [/citation]
That was the game where you 'followed the story' and made choices, kind of like 'kings quest' or Monkey Island. That game introduced the background of Thrall's rise as the warchief of the Horde.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I had never heard about Warcraft Adventures before. It was interesting to read about it, and then find out the story was converted into a book, which was a basis on many things about the Horde in WoW. I think I'll pick up that book.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]joelmartinez[/nom]I won't pay for another player's map, I wonder how many people have my same view[/citation]

hell yeah no one would pay for it. all of us here are able to make a craft at home, it could be making an origami figure or drawing something or whatever it maybe. but if you sell that craft, no one would buy it because it isn't made at the same level as an expert. people would rather pay for professional made content as opposed to content people made, which are usually garbage.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008

another thing about this, you are making the craft and yet is it blizzard who is making the money. so why would people want to support this stupid idea. can't the idiot dustin browder figure that out. who would want to work for free and not get rewarded, especially with when we're talking about money.

G

lol you guys.. They aren't trying to figure out how to make the most money. They first have to figure out how to make it so map-stealing isn't possible anymore. As of right now, I can take any map I want, unlock it, and publish it myself. Also, bank protection is a joke as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.