Blizzard: WarCraft 4 Years Away

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
If you exclude WOW, the last actual title or expansion pack released by Blizzard was Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne in 2004. So, here we have a company that has not released a discrete title (besides WOW) since 2003, and that was just an expansion pack. The last thing they actually released was Warcraft 3, and that was in 2002. So, from discrete title release to discreet title release, a period of 9 years? Sounds like some kind of stock market/accounting fraud scam to me...

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Blizzard has never been quick about releases, but their releases have always been well worth buying. Less sometimes is more, with Blizzard this strategy works.

tb123

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
lmao at all the emo AMG I LOVE BLIZZARD BUT I HATE YOU BECAUSE I CANT HAVE IT RIGHT NOW!!!

seriously? Blizzard games are always excellent, but never bleeding edge on the tech because of their long development cycles. the end product is always a tier above it's competition because they pay attention to the details, unfortunately, paying attention to the details means it does take longer to release.

You can't claim they've had no products in 9 years because you ignore WoW, that's like saying, Disney hasn't made a single movie since mulan because we are ignoring pixar, live action, and that brother bear crap.

Will there be a Warcraft 4? i sure hope so, and i would be willing to put money on that there will be. Will it be out by 2015? gonna give that a big No.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]commandersozo[/nom]I won't bother checking back for another decade.[/citation]

+1

Starcraft 2 has been supposed to come out for the last 3-4 years but every year it gets pushed back to the following year.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I took my Delorian 4 years into the future... and not only was Warcraft 4 not released yet, but SC2 and Diablo 3 were delayed until "next year". They did manage to release another World of Warcraft expansion though.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Personally I would rather Blizzard *not* announce games until they are nearly ready. What is so difficult about that?

Right now Blizzard is the ice cream truck vendor who drives through the streets, bells and chimes going, and when the children (gamers) come out for the ice cream, the driver says, "Oh, we're all out of ice cream. Maybe I'll have some tomorrow. Or next week. Or next summer. But I'll drive around here every day just to make sure you guys know I'm here!"

You can only cry "Wolf!" so many times before people stop believing.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]2shea[/nom]It is probably not a better idea to let the team which made wc3 great, make the following game of that francise or do you let another team like with cod4-5 happened make a game that is quite not anything but not what we expected?I'd rather wait (unfortunately) for a great wc4 then get it next year made by a ragtag team that doesn't quite cut it.[/citation]
I don't think the actual team is crucial as long as the basic theme is set. There isn't much you can do wrong with a game that has tons of lore really. Besides - many games have changed developers without getting worse. Thief and Heroes of Might and magic are examples of this.
I don't believe money solves everything, but it is a significant contributing factor to solving business related things. They can afford to make more than one title a year (counting expansions).

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
"While I think we're all excited about a Warcraft 4, in concept, they're going to finish up StarCraft 2, and then they're going to work on the two StarCraft expansions that we've announced, so they're booked for the next few years."

So, using the timeframe from StarCraft to StarCraft2 and then expansions. I'm gonna say Warcraft 4 would be around 4th quarter 2040?

ichbinyogi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
we all need to get in cryogenic freezers if we want to be alive for the next round of Blizzard games.

I cant believe how pathetic some of you fanbois are getting Blizzard keeps reseting there own delay records and its ok. Blizzard could crap in a bag let it ferment and say its ready when its ready and 5 years later you would think its the best thing ever

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
RTS games bore me now. When I played Warcraft 3, I finally got sick of it about 3/4ths of the way through the main campaign and put in a god mode cheat code just so I could breeze through it and see the story. It's just so boring doing the same thing over and over each level. Collect resources, build defenses and infrastructure, build units, defend raids, upgrade, and go out and kill everything when you're strong enough. If you're lucky, you'll get a cool new unit or to keep things interesting. I prefer games like Myth or World in Conflict where you have a set number of units and you have to do the best with what you have.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]calibrah[/nom]Supreme Commander 2 FTW[/citation]
Supreme commander's a great game - but really it should've beel called Total Annihialation 2 or something, cause it's really the same game just in modern.

G

Seriously, if anybody has played wow they know that Blizzard is not a gaming industry anymore, its a cash crop designed to simply take as much of your money as possible. Blizzard is a joke and quite frankly I'm not going to support this kind of industry anymore. I would rather spend my money on a indie company that wants to make good games because its their passion not because they want to make toys/cups/lunchboxes and underwear sporting their games logo.

G

*Sigh* Like many RTS fans that picked up Warcraft 3, I'm addicted to it. I need more of this stuff. I know Blizzard isn't aiming to please, but is instead aiming at our wallets. But Warcraft is like a drug to me. From the second I laid my hands on Warcraft, 12 or or so years back, when I was just a toddler, it was the only game I had. The first game I played. It's made a big impact in my life. Warcraft actually shaped me into who I am now. That is why, unfortunately, I can't just let go of this franchise. So I say with all my heart...Warcraft 4 must come. For us. For us dire, addicted RTS fans. And if it doesn't, we shall come to Blizzard's company with torches and pitchforks.

G

Warcraft 3 is still quite good enough 4 me... i wish games last as long as wc3 coz it makes them very valuable.. n when wc4's out i would be really glad to purchase it at once.those of u who disagree with blizzard's policy of releasing games will all still get the game once it's out... the reason is obvious - their games are so good... hope wc4 lasts as long as wc3 if they're are gonna release so late

G

I would like for a Warcraft 4 to be released. However, starting with warcraft 3 there was not an emphasis on the humans and orcs like 1 and 2 had but on the undead/burning legion. The undead should not be made sentient, but mindless "summons". Thats ruined though as the main enemy in warcraft now is a sentient undead being, the lich king. and they should be a part of the orcs like they were in wc2.(orcish warlocks that raise the dead)
The night elves also do not really fit into the story line of warcraft as the story was suposed to focus on the battle between humans and orcs. therefore if there is a wc4 it should be just humans and orcs perhaps with their allied races. (orcs get trolls and ogres, and humans get elves and dwarves. there can be other races but just dont make them playable and as powerful a nation/race as humans and orcs. If they can fix all these things it would be a really great game. If they dont fix all these things, well im sure blizzzard would make the gameplay really good anyway but the story and lore would not feel right. Just like wc3s gameplay is reallly good.

Status
Not open for further replies.