BlizzCon 2009: WoW Cataclysm Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
People still play this trashy old game? My god people upgrade already. There are way better MMOs out there. Aion is coming out soon, beta has been a LOT of fun. If Aion isn't your thing, go with anything but WoW. lol

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I find MMORPG's to be sad really... they suck peoples lives away and make them sit in front of a computer doing the same thing for hours and hours. Even when you take something like D&D or any similar game at least it got people together and made them socialize with their friends. Those games even helped people with their imagination and creativity because they often made up their own quests and such. WoW and games like it offer none of that.

ricin

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Aion? Are you seriously buying into the NCSoft hype machine? The game is a huge disappointment. Come to think of it, I can't think of a single game NCSoft has been able to produce in the United States that didn't suck. WoW can't be that bad, considering it easily beats every other MMO into the ground. This isn't coincidence.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
easily is the key word there, it succeeds because it started out as an extremely easy game to play to max level and has gotten progressively easier to play ever since. It has gone way past the easy-mode jokes that used to describe it to be almost auto-mode on this last expansion. I transferred to WoW in beta with a guild of 70+ people that had played Everquest since its release. Long before even the first expansion came out we had filled out all our character slots with max level characters and probably 30 of the people had quit the game completely. Before the second expansion came out we were deleting our characters and starting over from scratch when they opened new servers, just competing on who could get to max level fastest and trying to be the first raiding guild on the server to reach the highest raid zones at the given time. When the second expansion came out I leveled a rogue in crappy gear, solo the ten levels and did every non-raid quest i could find, while watching TV and barely paying attention to the game. Hell i let my 7 year old daughter sit on my lap and play him, not even knowing how to do a mutilation rotation. She would just run up to stuff and fight like a warrior and she still never died. I quit finally in like april-may time frame out of shear boredom and out of those 70+ people I was the last person from the original group that even played anymore. everyone else had moved on to other games. If they continue the trend they have been on. You'll be able to level up just standing in town talking to people.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I don't understand why people bash WoW. If someone has an attraction to the lore, game play, Warcraft in general, or the community it creates, why not play the game? Isn't desirable content and PvP action determined by the individual playing...not the outsider's opinion? What's more, $13 per month to enjoy a recreational activity is a rather cheap expence compared to other pastimes or hobbies.

For 4 and a half years, Blizzard as done an incredible job at creating a digital universe full of diversity in many different aspects. For those who are drawn to other MMOs are attracted there not because WoW is a bad game, but because they prefer the services that other games provide.

jamesl

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Airborne11b[/nom]People still play this trashy old game? My god people upgrade already. There are way better MMOs out there. Aion is coming out soon, beta has been a LOT of fun. If Aion isn't your thing, go with anything but WoW. lol[/citation]

Aion is horrible
couldn't make it past 10 minutes
it is SO boring

what is is out there ?
Warhammer ? broken
Age of Conan ? broken
EVE ? boring
EverQuest ? never tried it
Dungeon Runners ? crap, crap, crap
Dungeons & Dragons Online ? never tried it
Champions Online ? never tried it
Lord Of the Rings ? crap
Guild Wars ? boring

I prefer Warhammer, but I'll admit that as boring as World of Warcraft is, its as good or better than the rest

G

I used to play WoW on a private server and even then it was fun for awhile. MMORPGs are meant to be fun in different ways than your typical RTS or FPS. There is less instant gratification and often more long term planning involved, but the game world is MUCH more immersive. I almost shit myself the first time I (virtually) ran around the starting zone for the tauren--it was just so neat looking. WoW is refined and interesting as far as PC games go, even if its players have gotten a bad rap by society. I say good job to blizzard and it makes perfect business sense (it was their strategy, wasn't it?) to publish more expansions

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Airborne11b[/nom]People still play this trashy old game? My god people upgrade already. There are way better MMOs out there. Aion is coming out soon, beta has been a LOT of fun. If Aion isn't your thing, go with anything but WoW. lol[/citation]

And how do you know how Aion's endgame looks? I'\m personally playing EVE but I wouldn't start calling WoW trashy and I would definitely wouldn't say that there are way better mmo's out there.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Those are some nice looking updates, Guild lvling could be cool. and reforging the old world is so awesome... go blizzard for refreshing old content and not leaving us to lvl through the same crap till I get tired of it and waste my time trying other crap video games only to come back to wow.

wasteoftime

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
Do people actually care about another WoW expansion? Why doesn't Blizzard actually work on one of their other franchises instead of heading back to the gold mine?

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008

I'm sorry that you hate games that are successful. I have played World of Warcraft since its initial beta and I still enjoy the game. I am not some idiot "noob" that has only play World of Warcraft, and as a result can only measure other games to it. I have played countless single-player, multi-player, and MMORPGs for quite some time.

I first started my MMO career with Ultima Online, then started playing Asheron's Call(the first one, of course). I played those for a number of years and still have active accounts with both. I also expanded to DAoC, CoH/CoV, SWG, AC2, Warhammer, AoC, LotRO, and tons of others. I have played MMOs that most people would not even know the name of, so you can check the "logic" of questioning my gaming experience at the door.

Blizzard has done what no other MMO maker has been able to do prior to World of Warcraft, nor has been able to do since. So many people are hostile toward companies that do well, as if it is some new and fresh idea. Ralph Nader would absolutely love you. Those people are the same types that hung out behind the bleachers during gym class and were pissed at the football players, cheerleaders, and other that simply enjoy life for what it is.

Stop exuding so much hate and relish in the fact that there are a lot of good options in the gaming market. You cannot compare other MMOs to World of Warcraft; you have to just compare all other games to the others available and place WoW in its own category. Once you do that, you will find that there are a lot of successful MMOs still running today.

Aion might be a good game, and we will find out very soon. Of course, there have been a lot of recent additions to the MMO market that have been hyped up well beyond what the game is actually like, then turned out to be utter failures. Do not cling to hope that Aion, nor any other near-future games will ever surpass WoW in subscription numbers.

The only thing you need to be concerned with, as well as the only thing you need to ask yourself, is: What game is best for "me"? If you can answer that honestly, you will find a game, for you, that is far more successful that WoW could ever hope to be. Of course, you could find that WoW is the game for you; that is, if you are willing to be honest.

Never got the point of MMORPGs. It's boring imo. It's nothing like a fast action FPS. You'll need to spend like 800+ hours to get to like lvl 60-70 (and also pay $$ every month). I'll take FPS over this any day. Fast, not boring, increases reflex:
Those who played the first-person shooter Unreal Tournament (the paper did not say which version of Unreal Tournament was played) experienced greater improvements to visual acuity and peripheral vision than subjects who had played Tetris.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6165470.html
And it's much more fun. Besides, it gives me a reason to upgrade my rig :p

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
@james: A little negative there, dude.

I don't know why it's popular to bash WoW now. I guess for the same reason it's popular to bash anything that's popular. Why don't we all start bashing that concept too?

@Shadow: 800 hours? You or whoever you've been talking to is very, very slow. Common level 70 time is under 240 hours.

As for this expansion, I think WoW hit its peak and Blizzard is desperate. Really? The Worgen and Goblins?

I just can't wait for Guild Wars 2.

G

WOW ppl are still playing WOW... seems like lots of ppl like to be ROBBED...!!!
PAYING TO PLAY ONLINE??!?! NO THANKS!

cletus

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
Honestly, why pay for an MMO? Plenty of free servers for WoW exist (although they do get shut down once a year by Blizzard.) The real value is in playing the original MMO, Ultima Online, on free servers that are perfectly legal. www.metropolisreborn.com for one. Wow is everything that is wrong with MMO games these days. Continued raising of levels and grindmills for items. Skill based MMO > Level Based any day.

xchrissypoox

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
[citation][nom]cletus[/nom]Plenty of free servers for WoW exist [/citation]
I've played on private servers and they are missing features, you get booted every 15-30 minutes and the people suck on them (the ones I played).

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]doctorpink[/nom]WOW ppl are still playing WOW... seems like lots of ppl like to be ROBBED...!!!PAYING TO PLAY ONLINE??!?! NO THANKS![/citation]

Have you seen the quality of most games out there over the last few years? Lacking. Severely lacking. I've spent less money, and more time playing WoW than I would have with purchasing alot of other games that after draining what little value was present in the first place. All they would be doing is nothing more than collecting dust and taking up space, or giving me back FAR little money back from all methods of selling them, aka trying to recoup my losses. However, playing WoW.. as soon as I feel it has no more value, it's done. No more money to pay.

Heck, at $180 a year to play.. thats like, what.. 3 new games nowadays? How long would 3 new titles entertain me? 3 months. Maybe 4. After replay? 6 Maximum.

I see the value in World of Warcraft.

Maybe you need glasses. :p

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Sorry, but i'm going to respond to all you people who defended WoW at once.

1. WoW is by far the most dumbed down game i've ever seen.

2. Aion is new and the engine (based on Crytek btw) is awesome. Warhammer PvP is 100x better than WoW, but the PVE is on the same level. and graphics are WoW-ish, but slightly better.

3. There are plenty of way better MMO's out there but I wouldn't call them "failures" on their subscriber numbers. There are many factors that gives WoW more subscribers then other newer MMO's.

-for one, new graphics and more complex game mechanics stress even top of the line PC's. VG:SoH is 100x more engaging (PVE Raid content is amazing) and has 1000x better graphics than WoW, but the problem with VG:SOH, and many other next gen games, is that only a small % of people can play them with good FPS, anyone's trash PC can run wow at max settings, but it takes a real enthusiest PC to run next gen MMO's. you lose 80% of your potential sub base right there.

-and the next big factor imo, is the "Investment syndrome". So many people are stuck on WoW because of the time they invested in it. There are plenty of great games they would like to try, but they feel that they spent so much time in building up their character that it would be painful to let go. So as long as Blizzard keeps releasing content, they stick around.

Lets face it, WoW is dated, (Had bad graphics even for the time when it released they were bad), the gameplay is simplistic and old, and just about any game out there is better.

IMO...

*EVE has best open PVP, but if you dont like sci-fi, it wont be the game for you.

*Mortal Online is going to have the best graphics (and maybe best pvp) when it releases soon. and is fantasy MMO.

*Aion's combat, pvp and graphics are very nice, and i've been playing the beta, it's a very good game.

*VG:SOH has the most challenging raid content, and most over all PVE content and largest world, also has very nice graphics. *Con-Runs poor even on very high end PC, and though the graphics are great, they are not the best and it should run better*

Those are my picks, but just about any game out would be 100x better than WoW. It's time to stop sucking on that baby pacifier known as WoW and move on to the big boy MMO's people. Upgrade your PC's, and get a real game pls.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
WOW = Whacked Out Weirdos.... and most of the people i know that play it, its all they are, they live, eat and breathe that game.... and yes Aion sucks, looks pretty.... but shit in a new wrapper still smells like shit.... mmo's are besically all the same grind.... if it had some real action and maybe played like gta, prototype, crackdown, with some fps elements and multiple ways to interact....then id be hooked too.... but just to keep doing the same thing over and over no matter the mission, doesnt do a thing for me

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
ITT people that don't understand that their opinion is just that: opinion.

If WoW players are "stupid and immature" I wonder who has the bigger foot in their mouth for, you know, calling them that.

And I'm sick of hearing about Aion; it doesn't use the Crysis engine to any decent extent and it's just a rip-off of Final Fantasy XI.

The most important part of any MMO should be the COMMUNITY. That is the entire point. Unfortunately, that's the one part the developers can't really control, but it is why WoW is successful. There's no point in playing an MMO that there aren't enough people in that speak your native tongue to form a party.

Status
Not open for further replies.