Blu-ray Discs Can Fit 128GB in New BDXL Format

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Nintendork,

You might have to live with extremely limited storage capacity but more is ALWAYS better. God of War III would look like an Atari game if on a Wii.

choujij

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
With the rate of SD cards increasing in size, game consoles will have gone from cartridges, to optical discs, back to cartridges again.

I guess history repeats itself in one way or another. :)

anonymousdude

Distinguished
The only reason blu-ray hasn't been adopted in the standard data markets is because of the price of the burners and the price of the discs. Think about how much one of these BDXL disc will cost and compare it to a normal 1TB drive. That's where blu ray fails is that it just costs too much per GB right now compared to other storage solutions.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
New hardware is required to play back BDXL and IH-BD?

That's bad news for Sony's PS3. Looks like they won't be making money for the forseeable future.

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
You have to look in the past to understand why this is good news. Yes they are still expensive now, but don't you remember when a DVD player use to cost $500, and now you can get one for $30,and you can get 100 DVDs for $20. Yes a HDD is cheaper now but eventually BD will be cheaper.
And what this 120gb in a disc means. Think about this for example, in the past when digital cameras came out a 1.3mp camara was a good quiality, today that's crap! you have people taking pics with 7,10 even 15mp cameras, what if somebody ask you to burn those vacation videos and pics in a disc do you think you can fit those pics and videos from a 15mp camera and HD camcorder in the same space that it would take from a 1.3mp camera... NO!!!!
And you are not going to say here I'll put them in my 2.5" 600gb HD you can take it. Instead you will be able to burn those 2000+ pics and videos from a 15mp camera in a one BD disc that probably cost you less than 25 cents. Ofcourse this might take years to see. And remember now is 15mp pics and 1080p video but we are already entering the 3D era so pics and video files are only getting larger. Just my 2 cents. Still, today a portable drive is still a cheaper option.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Just buy a 2 TB hard drive and partition your data. Make a drive Z and call it backup so if you reformat your OS, you can copy it back. Windows Vista/7 lets you expand your OS partition after you copy it back. No need for USB or CD/DVD/Blu-Ray. I did this plenty of times.

niknikktm

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Just like every other recording medium before it, it will start out as a professional product with an astronomical price, then make the transition to a consumer product with a high price, and eventually the price will drop to where it will become the standard. Happened for VHS, Happened for CD's, Happened for DVD, and has just recently happened for Blu-Ray. Just one year ago a blank Blu-Ray disc cost nearly 20 bucks. Now I can get them for 2 bucks a piece.

This much storage on one disc is perfect for my library of NFL games. I will be able to fit an entire game (commercials and all) recorded in either 720p or 1080i HD on one disc. I like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.