Question Bluescreening when entering safe mode?

GamingTiger999

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016
I want to do a clean wipe of my AMD drivers with DDU, however, when entering safe mode after clicking the enter safe mode button, I get a blue screen saying inaccessible boot device. Nothing is wrong with my hard drives, they are perfectly intact. The last time I had this problem it was fixed by reassigning drive letters and renaming the Windows boot file (it’s hard to explain but it’s done with command prompt on the advanced tools in Windows when restarting with an error 3 times). This means I cannot enter safe mode to do things like wiping drivers and removing viruses.
Do I need to completely reinstall Windows and delete all documents stored on my SSD? Luckily my games and such are installed on my other drives. I don’t know what to do to fix safe mode causing blue screens there is barely anything on the Internet about it.

System specs
Ryzen 3 2200G
ASRock AB350 Pro4
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8 GB @2666mhz
XFX RX 580 8GB GTR XXX LED White Edition
Windows 10 Professional

First open an administrative command prompt and issue these two commands"
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
SFC /scannow
If that doesn't help, try installing EasyBCD and make sure your C: drive is set up correctly.
Bear in mind that if you end up reinstalling Windows, you'll have to reinstall your games even though the games are on a separate drive.

GamingTiger999

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016
SFC /scannow
If that doesn't help, try installing EasyBCD and make sure your C: drive is set up correctly.
Bear in mind that if you end up reinstalling Windows, you'll have to reinstall your games even though the games are on a separate drive.
Thanks I'll try that. Do you know why Safe Mode causes the blue screen?

GamingTiger999

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016
SFC /scannow
i have tried all your commands in command prompt and they all say the option is unknown

GamingTiger999

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016
SFC /scannow
Now I am getting System service exception

If you got the option unknown in an ADMINISTRATIVE command prompt, you must somehow have a hopelessly corrupt Windows system. The only fix for that would be to restore from a backup, if you have one. Otherwise you'll probably have to reinstall Windows. If so, be sure to back up anything you don't want to lose.

GamingTiger999

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016
If you got the option unknown in an ADMINISTRATIVE command prompt, you must somehow have a hopelessly corrupt Windows system. The only fix for that would be to restore from a backup, if you have one. Otherwise you'll probably have to reinstall Windows. If so, be sure to back up anything you don't want to lose.
I have completely reinstalled windows, still getting innaccessible boot device when entering safe mode. Only safe mode is causing the blue screen. Other than that, clean windows installation. Pretty bad that I can't use a basic function of windows even when I reset my system

GamingTiger999

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016
It was administrative

Did you do a reset/ reinstall or a wipe the drive clean install?

The three possible causes I've read about is a corrupted registry and/or virus. Do you have any registry backups? I would try a virus scan with malwarebyes and/or what ever anti-virus you are using. One thing a virus might do it shutdown your access to safe mode.The third is a made MB.

Further, what hdd/sdd are you using? Are you using the m.2 PCIe plug?

Last edited:

GamingTiger999

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016

The three possible causes I've read about is a corrupted registry and/or virus. Do you have any registry backups? I would try a virus scan with malwarebyes and/or what ever anti-virus you are using. One thing a virus might do it shutdown your access to safe mode.The third is a made MB.

Sorry I did not specify, my boot drive is a 128gb m.2 SSD and my other two drives are a 1tb 7.2 rpm Toshiba HDD and a Seagate 2tb 7.2 RPM drive. I have tried unplugging both HDDs to no avail.

GamingTiger999

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016

Should I try to completely wipe the drive then reinstall Windows that way? I have already reset windows through advanced startup without keeping files on my m.2 to no avail.

GamingTiger999

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016
Should I try to completely wipe the drive then reinstall Windows that way? I have already reset windows through advanced startup without keeping files on my m.2 to no avail.

I could use DBAN (Derrick's boot and nuke) on my USB to completely wipe the drive.

GamingTiger999

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016
My guess your bios is not loading loading your UEFI driver when booting safe mode. I'm still looking to see what the options are. I would go into bios and see what UEFI options are available.

I have the PCIE SSD set as my main boot drive, how do I get it to do what you said. DBAN is not working as I need a driver for it but I've never had that problem before.

Okay, apparently UEFI can interrupt your ability to boot to safe mode from the boot menu (usually F8 when booting). Instead boot from the WinPE; boot up windows and at the logon screen, click the shutdown button on the bottom right, holding down the SHIFT key, and choose Restart from the menu (ignore any warning about losing information).

GamingTiger999

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016
Okay, apparently UEFI can interrupt your ability to boot to safe mode from the boot menu (usually F8 when booting). Instead boot from the WinPE; boot up windows and at the logon screen, click the shutdown button on the bottom right, holding down the SHIFT key, and choose Restart from the menu (ignore any warning about losing information)
Ill try that when I get home tonight does it boot directly to safe mode or window's advanced startup tools? I have tried booking to safe mode through the windows advanced startup it still gives me INNACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE error. I don't understand how my m.2 drive could be fully functional with everything else but booting into safe mode. Would you happen to have a good USB bootable that tests ssd's and hard drives? I could download stuff like that from my parent's machine

You haven't said if you, have done a virus scan.Further, if you have not done so, make sure your system drive is back to being the C drive, since you have apparently messed with this (BTW restarting with an error 3 times is simply another way to enter the WinPE)

Your M.2 PCIe drive is newer technology associated with UEFI, and requires specific bios settings, and needs to load it's own drivers to work with Windows 10. Safe Mode eliminates all but the basic drivers need by Windows to boot up and do repair or maintenance. It's possible, due to your bios settings, or some other issue, Windows is eliminating the UEFI driver for safe mode, so safe mode crashes every time it tries to boot up. It's very possible this is being caused by a bios setting. BTW, check that your bios is reasonably up to date. The most current version is 5.70, however 4.70 was to improve M.2 SSD compatibility. There is also the note * If the current BIOS version is older than P3.40, please update BIOS to P3.40(Bridge BIOS) before updating this version. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/#BIOS Further, if your bios is up to date, you may want to try disabling CSM in the boot bios/UEFI. http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/AB350 Pro4.pdf

Speaking of USB's, do you have an install disc or USB? Theses have there own WinPE utility, after booting up it will give you the option to install or repair, choose repair.

Try running chkdsk \r at the Admin command prompt. I know cmd did not like the other utilities mentioned, but this one is as old as DOS .

Last edited:

GamingTiger999

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016
You haven't said if you, have done a virus scan.Further, if you have not done so, make sure your system drive is back to being the C drive, since you have apparently messed with this (BTW restarting with an error 3 times is simply another way to enter the WinPE)

Your M.2 PCIe drive is newer technology associated with UEFI, and requires specific bios settings, and needs to load it's own drivers to work with Windows 10. Safe Mode eliminates all but the basic drivers need by Windows to boot up and do repair or maintenance. It's possible, due to your bios settings, or some other issue, Windows is eliminating the UEFI driver for safe mode, so safe mode crashes every time it tries to boot up. It's very possible this is being caused by a bios setting. BTW, check that your bios is reasonably up to date. The most current version is 5.70, however 4.70 was to improve M.2 SSD compatibility. There is also the note * If the current BIOS version is older than P3.40, please update BIOS to P3.40(Bridge BIOS) before updating this version. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/#BIOS Further, if your bios is up to date, you may want to try disabling CSM in the boot bios/UEFI. http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/AB350 Pro4.pdf

Speaking of USB's, do you have an install disc or USB? Theses have there own WinPE utility, after booting up it will give you the option to install or repair, choose repair.

Try running chkdsk \r at the Admin command prompt. I know cmd did not like the other utilities mentioned, but this one is as old as DOS .
How do I get admin repair when I've wiped my drive and have no accounts? I cannot sign into windows as it says other user since I reinstalled windows. I can't use the command prompt to give myself a local higher up admin account without a password like I had before. So therefore I can't run a virus scan. Dariks boot and nuke didn't work as I need the drivers for it aparrently (cause it gave me an error saying that). I will try flashing a new bios update to see if that fixes the problem.

"How do I get admin repair when I've wiped my drive and have no accounts?" As I asked, do you have an install disc or USB? These have there own WinPE utility, after booting up it will give you the option to install or repair, choose repair and you will be able to access a command prompt. It will likely ask for your password, and since this version of WinPE comes from the install utility, hopefully your old Administrator password will work.