Question Bluetooth receiver disappears every time the computer goes to sleep or remains idle for more than a few minutes ?

Feb 22, 2023
I recently bought a new laptop which comes with Windows 11 (Intel i7-12700, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, NVIDIA 3070 Ti GPU, Win 11 22H2, up to date with Windows upgrades). However, the bluetooth receiver disappears every time the computer goes to sleep or remains idle for more than a few minutes. The bluetooth troubleshooter at that point can't even find the hardware, and tells me there isn't a bluetooth receiver on the laptop. The only way to regain bluetooth capability is to perform a hard restart - simply restarting Windows won't work, I actually have to force a restart by keeping the power button pressed until the laptop shuts down.

I have looked into possible solutions to this problem (which seems to be widespread one way or another) and managed to fix it, in part, by following these steps:

1) Changed Bluetooth power management (unticked the box that says "Allow Windows to turn off this device to save energy" in the Power Management section of the bluetooth adapter in Device Manager);

2) Updated driver from the manufacturer's website;

3) Disabled sleep function for the laptop through Power Management settings (I set the screen to never turn off, and the laptop to never go to sleep).

4) I also tried to go into Services and change the Log On settings of the bluetooth support service to "Local account", but this didn't seem to make a difference, and in fact it seemed to make the disappearing bluetooth receiver issue more frequent (although I have limited data to assert this).

While these steps have reduced the scope of the problem (e.g. if I close the lid and then return after a while, the bluetooth receiver works 95% of the time), they haven't eliminated it completely: if I leave the computer idle for more than a few minutes, (e.g. I have to accept a delivery, or I have to put something on the stove for lunch), when I return the toggle will still appear, but the bluetooth will no longer be working (and if I open the bluetooth settings, it will tell me "Bluetooth is off" even though the toggle is on). Shortly afterwards, regardless of whether I run the troubleshooter or not, the toggle will just disappear from both the notification bar and the settings, and the device manager will no longer show the existence of a bluetooth adapter.

I'm not sure how to fix the issue once and for all, but I already had this on two laptops with Windows 11 (I returned the first one because I thought it was a hardware issue, but it seems it's a software one that other people suffer from, too), so I don't think returning this one too would make a difference. Nor should I downgrade to Windows 10 - when I had the previous laptop with this issue, tech support for the manufacturer asked me to clean install Windows 11 or Windows 10 to fix the issue, but the laptop completely lost any mouse function when I did that.

Is there anything else I can try, or should I resign to the fact that Windows 11 doesn't like integrated bluetooth receivers?

I would make sure you update the motherboard bios and drivers from the motherboard vendors website. windows 11 has implemented deeper sleep functions. (the bluetooth driver might not respond correctly)

you should provide the vendor and model of the laptop.

you might consider rebooting and running cmd.exe as an admin then run
powercfg.exe /energy
and take a look at the report to see if it flags problems.

Feb 22, 2023
I would make sure you update the motherboard bios and drivers from the motherboard vendors website. windows 11 has implemented deeper sleep functions. (the bluetooth driver might not respond correctly)

you should provide the vendor and model of the laptop.

you might consider rebooting and running cmd.exe as an admin then run
powercfg.exe /energy
and take a look at the report to see if it flags problems.

Thank you, I already updated the BIOS and drivers by downloading the latest version from the manufacturer's website (I don't know who is the vendor of the motherboard). The laptop is a HP OMEN 17-ck1023nl with a MediaTek Bluetooth adapter.

I also ran the powercfg.exe /energy command as an admin, and the only errors that popped up are:

• Display timeout disabled (Plugged In)
  • Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged in)
  • USB Suspend: USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
    • Device name is USB Composite Device
  • CPU Utilisation: Processor utilisation is high
    • Average Utilisation (%)6.50
  • Platform Power Management Capabilities: PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
    • PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

I also noticed that when it comes to Supported Sleep States, the report indicated:

S1 Sleep Supported false
S2 Sleep Supported false
S3 Sleep Supported false
S4 Sleep Supported true

I checked the available sleep states and it returned this:

The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Hibernate
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.
The hypervisor does not support this standby state.

Not sure if this helps.

when I look here:
OMEN 17.3 inch Gaming Laptop PC 17-ck0000 Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

most likely you have installed the BIOS, the media tek wifi driver but
maybe you have not updated the intel chipset drivers and the intel thunderbolt drivers.

If your system has thunderbolt the motherboard is likely running a bunch of systems thru it to emulate other hardware. Make sure you apply the update and see if it has a effect. windows update will not apply firmware updates or update intel thunderbolt since it has to be updated when the BIOS is updated.

Note: from the power report it does looks like the functions have been turned off. Windows error reporting might do this if there was a needed update it could not provide. You might have to apply the update and turn on the features again to see if they work.
I am not sure if you can get the updates directly from intel.
(best to make the thunderbolt firmware match the bios version from the vendor I would try the direct intel version if all else fails)
Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

as a side note: if windows error reporting is making a change to your system you might be able to find its debugging session on your machine. you would start cmd.exe as an admin then run
cd c:\
dir /s *.dmp
this will search the drive for a memory dump file. it might have a session copied to some windows error reporting directory. if you can find it I might be able to take a look at it and tell you why it made the changes it did. it should be in a live kernel debugging directory.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023
when I look here:
OMEN 17.3 inch Gaming Laptop PC 17-ck0000 Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

most likely you have installed the BIOS, the media tek wifi driver but
maybe you have not updated the intel chipset drivers and the intel thunderbolt drivers.

If your system has thunderbolt the motherboard is likely running a bunch of systems thru it to emulate other hardware. Make sure you apply the update and see if it has a effect. windows update will not apply firmware updates or update intel thunderbolt since it has to be updated when the BIOS is updated.

Note: from the power report it does looks like the functions have been turned off. Windows error reporting might do this if there was a needed update it could not provide. You might have to apply the update and turn on the features again to see if they work.
I am not sure if you can get the updates directly from intel.
(best to make the thunderbolt firmware match the bios version from the vendor I would try the direct intel version if all else fails)
Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

as a side note: if windows error reporting is making a change to your system you might be able to find its debugging session on your machine. you would start cmd.exe as an admin then run
cd c:\
dir /s *.dmp
this will search the drive for a memory dump file. it might have a session copied to some windows error reporting directory. if you can find it I might be able to take a look at it and tell you why it made the changes it did. it should be in a live kernel debugging directory.

Thank you, I updated the thunderbolt and chipset drivers but I am not seeing a change yet - I'll run some tests today. I also ran the commands you suggested to find the memory dump file, but although some files appear - primarily in folders related to software such as mysql or WinAmp - none appears in a live kernel debugging directory.

I have noticed a minor additional item that might be worth mentioning. I have installed the Windows Phone Link app on my Android phone, which connects to the laptop automatically when the laptop is on. I noticed that the moment bluetooth stops working, the app also momentarily loses connection to the laptop. Although the app reconnects quickly, the bluetooth stays off. But it seems the two disconnection events occur at the same time.