Question BluRay - DVD - CD Drives won't open under Windows 10 but they work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Ok, I've had this problem for quite a while, but Since I haven't been using the drives much anymore, you just sort of forget about these things. But now......
Currently Connected to my system is an LG MoDisc BluRay/DVD/CD combo Drive, but the same happens for any other [optical] drive i connect, my older DVD/CD Lightscribe or even older Pioneer CD Drive.

On power up, If the system is in BIOS or Windows has not started, the drive opens and closes fine. However once windows has been on for a while, say 5 minutes, the drive will not open. I can still read a disc fine, or burn a disc, no problem. but the machine will not eject. The eject button does nothing. Trying to force the machine to eject through windows just results in some form of error.

Reboot the system, windows disappears from sight. push the eject button. Open she goes, change the disc, all good. Windows starts, and if im quick enough, say, run a cd ripper. rip a cd, then eject it, ok, pop in another, rip, eject, no problem. But leave the thing for 5 minutes or so, thats it, no more open until reboot.

I have asked this question of Microsoft a long while ago when windows 10 first reared its ugly head. and was told, change drivers, update driver, remove drivers and reinstall drivers, all the standard Microsoft replies, but nothing ever worked, in the end I was just told the drives are not compatible. Sorry, I don;t believe that for a minute when they work fine until they fall asleep.

So, Any Ideas? If theres anywhere thats gonna know the answer, If there is an answer, It's gonna be here.
Thanks In Advance
OzDrDj

gardenman

Splendid
Trying to force the machine to eject through windows just results in some form of error.
What is the exact error message you are getting? You can take a screen shot of it and post it at https://imgur.com if you like and link to it here.

Do you have an antivirus (or anything else) running in the background that might be scanning the drive when you try to eject it?

Do you have the problem in Safe Mode? Run Windows in Safe Mode for a half hour or so to see if it's still ejecting properly in there. If so, let me know.

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
The Error is just Windows Error
An Error Occured While Ejecting BD Rom Drive I:

I took out all my antivirus software, My son tells me that the built in antivirus in Windows 10 is Fine, But to keep Malwarebytes installed. So nothing using the drive at the time that i can see.

as for safe mode, I will try it now. Not really running anything at the moment.

Will let you know.

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
and safe mode does the safe thing. It's really strange. But looking across the internet there is alot of people with this problem, and nno one has come up with a solution.

gardenman

Splendid
Please list your full PC specs including motherboard and the drive brand/model number.

The reason I asked you to try in safe mode is because in safe mode there is no 3rd party software loaded at startup. Also Windows uses the most generic drivers that it can find in safe mode. What I was trying to do was eliminate software as being the issue.

There's still one possible software issue that I want to look at but at this point, it looks to be a hardware issue. I would also like to look for a possible BIOS option that is making the drive sleep and with the PC specs we can look for such an option. I also have another idea which is a "compatibility" test.

Edit: A quick way to get the drive info is to run msinfo32.exe and click on Components then CD-ROM. The Name should show the model number.

Last edited:

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Hopefully This Is What You Need
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HAL9000I7SVR
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model To be filled by O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F2, 27/07/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product H170M-D3H-CF
BaseBoard Version x.x
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.1350"
User Name HAL9000I7SVR\OzDrDj
Time Zone AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 28.3 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 31.5 GB
Page File Space 4.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Drive I:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded Yes
Media Type DVD Writer
Name HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH12LS28 SCSI CdRom Device
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate -1.00 kbytes/sec
SCSI Target ID 0
PNP Device ID SCSI\CDROM&VEN_HL-DT-ST&PROD_BDDVDRW_CH12LS28&REV_1.00\6&CF6CC7F&0&020000
Driver C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\CDROM.SYS (10.0.18362.1, 169.00 KB (173,056 bytes), 19/03/2019 3:43 PM)

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you make it create the windows error?
then look in event viewer and see if anything there at time of the error, as it should be recording more info about what actually happened.
might also show on Reliability History

it is strange same thing happens in safe mode

try updating windows 10 since you on 1909
click 1st link
download Upgrade assistant
run it and it will update win 10.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

might not help but save windows forcing you to do it next month (21h1 is due out in April)

How are drives connected? are they internal or USB? I wonder if its autoplay - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-configure-autoplay-windows-10

Reactions: gardenman

gardenman

Splendid
Motherboard manual: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-h170m-d3h(ddr3)_e.pdf

Starting on page 23 of your motherboard manual is info about the BIOS and included settings.

Go into BIOS and check what the SATA Support option is set to. I think it should be All Sata Devices. Don't change it if it's not, just let me know.

There are also some ASPM settings (Active State Power Management) which you may want to review. The manual shows the default setting for those.

Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-H170M-D3H-rev-10#ov

You are using BIOS version F2. The latest is version F23f. It's difficult to tell if one of those will help or not. BIOS updates are always risky. Never update your BIOS when you might lose power. You might want to hold off on updating this for now.

What power option are you using in Windows?
Start / Settings / System / Power & Sleep / Additional power settings.

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
can you make it create the windows error?
then look in event viewer and see if anything there at time of the error, as it should be recording more info about what actually happened.
might also show on Reliability History

it is strange same thing happens in safe mode

try updating windows 10 since you on 1909
click 1st link
download Upgrade assistant
run it and it will update win 10.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

might not help but save windows forcing you to do it next month (21h1 is due out in April)

How are drives connected? are they internal or USB? I wonder if its autoplay - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-configure-autoplay-windows-10
Not sure how to find the event viewer? Downloaded the update, no different.

Colif

Win 11 Master
search for event viewer in the search app of windows 10. it should be the only App choice
when it opens,
click on the left hand column and click the arrow next to Custom views to open it
click on Administrative events
open the middle column up so you can see more information
now event viewer shows you errors that may only happen once and not again, so don't be concerned if you see lots of warnings and errors.
Just try to find one that happened at same time as CD drive error

is it an external drive or internal?

can you run this for me? it will collect info on your system and make a zip file. If you can upload zip to a file sharing website it might show an error or something to work with - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Motherboard manual: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-h170m-d3h(ddr3)_e.pdf

Starting on page 23 of your motherboard manual is info about the BIOS and included settings.

Go into BIOS and check what the SATA Support option is set to. I think it should be All Sata Devices. Don't change it if it's not, just let me know.

There are also some ASPM settings (Active State Power Management) which you may want to review. The manual shows the default setting for those.

Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-H170M-D3H-rev-10#ov

You are using BIOS version F2. The latest is version F23f. It's difficult to tell if one of those will help or not. BIOS updates are always risky. Never update your BIOS when you might lose power. You might want to hold off on updating this for now.

What power option are you using in Windows?
Start / Settings / System / Power & Sleep / Additional power settings.

Ok, Updated Bios to F23f. Sata Support is set to All Sata Devices, Power options are set to balanced, Drives are set to turn off after 360 min, whats that 6 hours.

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Drive Is Internal, It also doesn't matter what drive I install. I had a CD/DVD Lightscribe Drive Installed. The problem began with Windows 10.
I changed the drive back to my Old Pioneer CD Burner, Same Problem, I purchased a New LG Bluray MoDisc Drive. Again, Same Fault. I have an external drive with my laptop. Will test with that also.

Couldn't see anything in the event viewer that linked with the Drive Eject Problem.
Cleared the Event Log.
Made the Fault appear 5 Times in a row. Checked the Event Log. Nothing. No change.

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
The problem is worse after the Bios Update, now i don;t even get 5 minutes, Im lucky to get 1 minute. Although I have no idea what it has to do with Bios or the motherboard as the problem only began with windows 10.
Tried my external drive. Bought it 2 years ago for my laptop, stuck it in my laptop bag, there it remained. Tried it today, It won't eject at all, makes alot of clicking noises.
Then plug the stupid external drive into my Daughters Dell inspiriron Mini. Away it goes. Im beginning to be of the opinion that my Gigabyte Tower doesn't like Optical Drives.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I think the problem is unlikely to be Windows 10 related. Have you tested while just in BIOS yet? Turn PC on and go to BIOS and just sit there for 5 or 10 minutes and see if the disc ejects or not.

I previously mentioned a "compatibility test" but I'm not sure those words really describe the next test I would like you to try. The info for the test can be found here: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000214.htm under the "Incompatible interface" section. Basically you just disconnect the data cable but leave the power cable plugged in, and test (5 or 10 minutes then see if it will eject). Since the drive will not be connected to the motherboard, this will allow us to eliminate it as a problem (if the drive ejects). I do recommend waiting the 5 or 10 minutes before trying to eject. If the drive does not eject, then the problem must be either the drive, or the PSU and I find it unlikely to be the PSU itself.

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Compatibility test, Interesting. Why didnt i think of that.... Anyway, did the bios thing, and as before, as soon as windows exits, the drive opens and closes fine. As soon as you hit shut down, Windows goes to the lockdown screen and says shutting down, the drive will open and close.
Sitting in Bios, No problem, Open Close Open Close All Day. Compatibility Test, Powered up, but data cable not connected. Open Close All Day

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Yes I have a 500gb SSD Connected, + 4TB Western Digital and 1 x 4tb Segate Drive and 2 x 6tb Segate Drives. The Seagate Drives are Spanned to give me 2 8tb Drives. So I have 500gb SSD Boot Drive, 4TB Data Drive and 8TB of Movies and 8TB of Television.
The Motherboard has 6 Sata Ports
Port 1 Connected to SSD
Port 2 Connected to BluRay
Port 3 Connected to Data Drive
Port 4 5 & 6 Connected to Spanned Drives.
Also, I have a Sata Card, This is connected to a Hard Drive Cradle. I use this to backup the Media Drives to a 16tb Backup Drive that I keep in a safe. Don't want to lose all that Media.
I have also tried swapping the optical Drive with the Backup Cradle, So Optical Drive on Port 2 and on the Sata Card. Same Fault.

Yes I have a 500gb SSD Connected, + 4TB Western Digital and 1 x 4tb Segate Drive and 2 x 6tb Segate Drives. The Seagate Drives are Spanned to give me 2 8tb Drives. So I have 500gb SSD Boot Drive, 4TB Data Drive and 8TB of Movies and 8TB of Television.
The Motherboard has 6 Sata Ports
Port 1 Connected to SSD
Port 2 Connected to BluRay
Port 3 Connected to Data Drive
Port 4 5 & 6 Connected to Spanned Drives.
Also, I have a Sata Card, This is connected to a Hard Drive Cradle. I use this to backup the Media Drives to a 16tb Backup Drive that I keep in a safe. Don't want to lose all that Media.
I have also tried swapping the optical Drive with the Backup Cradle, So Optical Drive on Port 2 and on the Sata Card. Same Fault.
You've tried a lot of things and perhaps I missed it.
Do you have auto play enabled?

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Thats A No, on the Auto Play Bob, an for Pc6777 then why when connected to power does it work fine. when its in bios it works fine, as soon as its in windows it fails. It is a tricky tricky tricky one to be sure!

Thats A No, on the Auto Play Bob, an for Pc6777 then why when connected to power does it work fine. when its in bios it works fine, as soon as its in windows it fails. It is a tricky tricky tricky one to be sure!
It seems like with the data cable connected and windows active something comes across the data cable that locks the disc unit.
I keep a copy of Zorin in a draw for when things get wonky.
Perhaps put a copy on a flash stick and boot it up see if it locks the disc unit.

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
if you have a sata to usb plus 12v cable thats compatible with optical drives, try using that to see if its the sata controller/bios. it could be some weird incompatibility,, idk, but windows works fine with all my optical drives and some are older and have old firmware and some I just bought. maybe try using a different sata port? or take all your ssds /hard drives out and put an empty drive in and put windows on it to see if its an os problem or not then put your ssds/hard drives back in after test. have you tried on another pc with the same windows build? software and hardware and operating systems and drivers are complicated and one tiny problem with a certain configuration can throw something off, and almost nobody will have that particular problem then weird unexplainable stuff like this happens.

Last edited:

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Well Bob, Tried to make me a bootable usb of Linux and Chrome, with no luck. I think im just cursed. Followed all the instructions here https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-google-chrome-os-and-run-on-a-real-computer/ so if youre bored try that, see if im an idiot, but i couldnt make it go.

I do have a USB DVD drive Pc6777, I connect that to the machine, and it goes click click click click, the drive also wont open. I thought it was faulty, but when i plug it into my daughters inspiron mini, that usb drive works fine.

I am coming up on an idea here. The Plugged in USB drive going click click click click, and not opening sounds like a 12volt item trying to run on 6volt.

Could the problem be....... Ready for it........ While windows is running, the motherboard is drawing a lot of power, and the drive hasnt got enough power to open, like the usb drive. But when windows is not running and the machine is in Bios, there is ah heck all power going to the board allowing the drive to open and work?

The Update to Bios, and the Update of windows is using more power now, causing the drive to lock quicker. This is really the only thing i can think of and the only thing that sorft of fits the parameters.

Well Bob, Tried to make me a bootable usb of Linux and Chrome, with no luck. I think im just cursed. Followed all the instructions here https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-google-chrome-os-and-run-on-a-real-computer/ so if youre bored try that, see if im an idiot, but i couldnt make it go.

I do have a USB DVD drive Pc6777, I connect that to the machine, and it goes click click click click, the drive also wont open. I thought it was faulty, but when i plug it into my daughters inspiron mini, that usb drive works fine.

I am coming up on an idea here. The Plugged in USB drive going click click click click, and not opening sounds like a 12volt item trying to run on 6volt.

Could the problem be....... Ready for it........ While windows is running, the motherboard is drawing a lot of power, and the drive hasnt got enough power to open, like the usb drive. But when windows is not running and the machine is in Bios, there is ah heck all power going to the board allowing the drive to open and work?

The Update to Bios, and the Update of windows is using more power now, causing the drive to lock quicker. This is really the only thing i can think of and the only thing that sorft of fits the parameters.
Just for yuks.
With the data cable connected boot the pc.
Open file explorer and click on the disc unit and then eject.
If the disc opens wait a few minutes and try it again.

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Drive Connected again as per normal.
At First Boot, Immediatley, Click Eject, No Problem. Close the drive, Click Open Again, Error, Drive is now locked. and will remain that way until next boot.
If I try to access the drive though, The disc in there is an Audio CD, I can grab that fine, at anytime. However to change disc, Reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.