Question Blurry text and icons in Windows 10 - FHD Display

bludyvenom

Honorable
Mar 8, 2014
I have a 20 inches LCD with ratio 16:9 working fine and a recently bought 24 inches FHD LED.
Now as I have connected the former one with a VGA cable and the latter one with an HDMI cable with my graphics card Zotac GT710 2 GB DDR3, the FHD seems very blurry and unusable.

I've changed the Pixels from Registry editor to various values ranging from 44-120, tried the DIP editor for windows 10, tried various display sizes and ClearType text from the settings menu but nothing has worked.
Also, Changing the values cause display size big in both my screens which is itself a problem.
Any video played on youtube or in VLC looks stunning and crystal clear but the text and icons are very blurry.

If there's a solution to such a problem, please share.

Set everything back to default, namely the DPI and Windows Scaling (the "Make Everything Bigger" setting should be at 100%) and disable Clear Type. I believe that should make everything sharper, but you'll have jaggies. The blurriness comes from antialiasing, which scaling and ClearType would bring into play. And you'll still have a problem with size differences across the two monitors because they are the same resolution but different physical sizes. The overarching problem here is that the native Dots Per Inch of the larger monitor is not ideal, IMO. Personally I would avoid a 24" at 1080p resolution if you're using it for text-based or mixed apps like browsers, it's really only for images and gaming. I have a 22" monitor at 1680 x 1050 and I don't like the DPI on it, and it has almost the same DPI as a 1080p 24" monitor. At 24" you should go with a 1440p monitor for sharper text because it has around 33% more pixels per inch than a 24" 1080p monitor. One thing you could also check is if the monitor has a sharpness setting.

bludyvenom

Honorable
Mar 8, 2014
Set everything back to default, namely the DPI and Windows Scaling (the "Make Everything Bigger" setting should be at 100%) and disable Clear Type. I believe that should make everything sharper, but you'll have jaggies. The blurriness comes from antialiasing, which scaling and ClearType would bring into play. And you'll still have a problem with size differences across the two monitors because they are the same resolution but different physical sizes. The overarching problem here is that the native Dots Per Inch of the larger monitor is not ideal, IMO. Personally, I would avoid a 24" at 1080p resolution if you're using it for text-based or mixed apps like browsers, it's really only for images and gaming. I have a 22" monitor at 1680 x 1050 and I don't like the DPI on it, and it has almost the same DPI as a 1080p 24" monitor. At 24" you should go with a 1440p monitor for sharper text because it has around 33% more pixels per inch than a 24" 1080p monitor. One thing you could also check is if the monitor has a sharpness setting.
Disabling the ClearType Text and setting the native resolution at 100% size is very blurry to watch. And The sharpness settings are disabled because of the HDMI source.

Hmm, very curious. At 1:1, pixel for pixel rendering, things should look sharp. A few more things to check:
  1. Make sure the display doesn’t have any “stretch” or “overscan” settings enabled - anything that is performing scaling has the potential to cause blurriness. The display should be set to 1:1 or “Just Scan” or some similar term manufacturers use for this particular setting.
  2. If the display has a “game” mode or PC mode try that
  3. Follow these instructions to view advanced display settings and ensure that Desktop Resolution and Active Signal Resolution are equal to the native resolution of your display:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/100785-view-detailed-display-information-windows-10-a.html

Edit: just for clarification, the “100%” setting in Windows is a scale setting and is not quite the same as what native resolution was known to be before Windows implemented scaling features. While we do want Windows Scaling set to 100% (IE: no scaling), we also want to be sure you’ve set the graphics card output to match the native resolution of your display. That setting is found in the AMD or nVidia Control Panel.

Also, please provide the exact model number and manufacturer of this display so we can look into the specs a bit more closely.

Last edited:

bludyvenom

Honorable
Mar 8, 2014
Hmm, very curious. At 1:1, pixel for pixel rendering, things should look sharp. A few more things to check:
  1. Make sure the display doesn’t have any “stretch” or “overscan” settings enabled - anything that is performing scaling has the potential to cause blurriness. The display should be set to 1:1 or “Just Scan” or some similar term manufacturers use for this particular setting.
  2. If the display has a “game” mode or PC mode try that
  3. Follow these instructions to view advanced display settings and ensure that Desktop Resolution and Active Signal Resolution are equal to the native resolution of your display:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/100785-view-detailed-display-information-windows-10-a.html

Edit: just for clarification, the “100%” setting in Windows is a scale setting and is not quite the same as what native resolution was known to be before Windows implemented scaling features. While we do want Windows Scaling set to 100% (IE: no scaling), we also want to be sure you’ve set the graphics card output to match the native resolution of your display. That setting is found in the AMD or nVidia Control Panel.

Also, please provide the exact model number and manufacturer of this display so we can look into the specs a bit more closely.
Thanks for your help but I have already set/done all the things mentioned and the text is still blurry. Custom scaling is off and The option to change the size of text, app and other items is set on 100%. TV aspect ratio mode is set to Just Scan. And I have already tried turning the settings from NVidia Control panel. Thanks again.