BMW M6 Test Drive: Ludicrous Speed and Power for $122K

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]daswilhelm[/nom]Ford, yes Ford, produces a mustang, yes mustang, that makes over 650hp, does 200+mph, and doesnt include a gas guzzler tax. oh yea and it costs half as much.[/citation]
...and I bet it looks and feels like it too.

h4ndsome

Honorable
May 21, 2012
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]Or you can get a Tesla Model S for $85,000 after tax breaks and does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and weighs over 4,000 pounds like the BMW does.No gas guzzler tax, heck no engine at all.I'm glad the M6 has auto start-stop at least and a smart alternator.[/citation]

Or you can get a Lotus Exige S for around 60,000$ that goes 0-60 in 4 seconds flat, weighs under 2,000 pounds and has the best handling chassis known to mankind, unlike the abortion the nerds at Tesla make it into.

h4ndsome

Honorable
May 21, 2012
[citation][nom]eternalkp[/nom]Nissan GTR is way better.I can't believe no road legal car is faster than a "nissan"Ultimate machine my ass.[/citation]

Yeah... Because a GT-R is in the same car category as an M6... wait what?

Why don't you compare a GT-R against a Jetta or Carola while you're at it.

h4ndsome

Honorable
May 21, 2012
[citation][nom]inerax[/nom]i think for that $$ i would go with a $80,000 GT-R and put the other $40k into it.... would have ~700hp and would be insane.[/citation]

That 40k will be handy for replacing your tranny after a hard launch.

halcyon

Splendid
I like the M6 but I'll just take the coupe, they can keep the convertible. BMW does make a beautiful car though. Its good the Japanese, Germans, and Koreans give American automakers something to aspire to.

[citation][nom]h4ndsome[/nom]Or you can get a Lotus Exige S for around 60,000$ that goes 0-60 in 4 seconds flat, weighs under 2,000 pounds and has the best handling chassis known to mankind, unlike the abortion the nerds at Tesla make it into.[/citation]

drive one before opening mouth.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Rather have a 2013 Camaro ZL1 for half the price and get twice the looks.[/citation]
its all yours. The Camaro has an interior that only its mother could love. Look at the instrument cluster in it. Someone should get fired for that.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]h4ndsome[/nom]Yeah... Because a GT-R is in the same car category as an M6... wait what?Why don't you compare a GT-R against a Jetta or Carola while you're at it.[/citation]
The M6 and GT-R are both classified as sports cars. I see no reason to not put them in the same category. They are both nearly the same length, the GT-R is lighter but that doesnt put it in a different category.
[citation][nom]eternalkp[/nom]Nissan GTR is way better.I can't believe no road legal car is faster than a "nissan"Ultimate machine my ass.[/citation]
There are plenty of other road legal cars as fast or faster than the GTR, they are just generally more expensive.

G

I can get a 87 Buick Grand National in Mint condition for between $25,000-$50,000. I'd MUCH rather have the Buick than this thing.... :p

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
[citation][nom]daswilhelm[/nom]Ford, yes Ford, produces a mustang, yes mustang, that makes over 650hp, does 200+mph, and doesnt include a gas guzzler tax. oh yea and it costs half as much.[/citation]

Yeah and its a piece of crap on top costing half as much. Uses an ancient pushrod enormous engine, has zero handling, and can't do anything else except accelerate in a straight line.

The BMW has more R&D and technology in one cylinder head assembly than ford's entire lineup since the '60s.

[citation][nom]blackhawk1928[/nom]Yeah and its a piece of crap on top costing half as much. Uses an ancient pushrod enormous engine, has zero handling, and can't do anything else except accelerate in a straight line. The BMW has more R&D and technology in one cylinder head assembly than ford's entire lineup since the '60s.[/citation]

wow congrats on the incredibly inaccurate comment. can u link me a part number for these "pushrods" you speak of?

i would like a complete explanation of how a dohc engine would facilitate pushrods.

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
1) Yes, but can it play Crysis 2?

2) What the hell's a car doing on a computer site? :righteous indignation:

3) Can we have some washing machine reviews as well, please?

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]What Mitsubishi puts out 560hp?[/citation]

3000GT VR4 with a few go faster parts and a decent fuel management system.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]3000GT VR4 with a few go faster parts and a decent fuel management system.[/citation]
The '94 3000GT VR4 peaked at ~300hp stock. So... "a few go faster parts" meaning like a brand new engine, exhaust and other goodies? Comparing a tricked out car to a car at stock is ridiculous. If I go out and buy a station wagon and replace everything and gave it 600hp, you wouldnt use that as a benchmark for station wagons.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
The comments section is why I love to see car reviews on Tom's. There are few things more hilarious than listening to computer nerds talk about cars. Though I will say, the clueless-ness in this particular case has reached the point where it's getting old.
Here are some facts that various commenters will find surprising:
- The gas guzzler tax applies to all vehicles equally regardless of country of origin (excepting light trucks as already noted).
- Both Ford AND Chevy have ~600hp+ cars that cost half as much, the only one that can actually surpass 200mph (the GT500, despite Ford's claims, doesn't quite hit the mark, though it gets very close) costs about the same as the M6 (however in terms of performance the ZR1 would rip apart the M6 in every performance category).
- A 1994 Mitsu 3000GT that is AWD and makes anywhere near 600hp is going to get GREAT gas mileage, because it will be sitting in the shop more than it will be on the road (which means no one is going to be able to "afford" 6 of them for the price of the M6).
- The Nissan GT-R is not even in the same league as the M6. Totally different cars - the GT-R is budget performance (crappy interior, entry-level quality), the M6 offers much better refinement and comfort, and also happens to be pretty fast.
- There are TONS of road cars that are faster than a GT-R...hell there's even a Camaro model and a Mustang model that can hand the GT-R it's ass.
- The Lotus Exige is an excellent car, if you are 5'8" and less than 160lbs.
- Calling both the M6 and GT-R "sports cars" is like calling Wal-Mart and Armani Exchange "stores".
- The OHV (pushrod) engine design is newer than the OHC and DOHC engine designs, and no iteration of the OHV engine appears in ANY Mustang of the last 20 years.

All of the above points are pure fact, noting nothing of my personal opinions.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
A Shelby GT350 convertible would smoke this thing... at half the price.

If you want a fun-to-drive convertible, just drop 40K on a regular GT Mustang. You'll still be picking up chicks with money to spare.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Gas guzzler tax... I despise crap like that! It is nothing more than extortion by fiat.[/citation]
Extortion by fiat?! Do you know what fiat means or you just meant Fiat?

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]blakbird24[/nom]- The gas guzzler tax applies to all vehicles equally regardless of country of origin (excepting light trucks as already noted).
- the GT-R is budget performance (crappy interior, entry-level quality), the M6 offers much better refinement and comfort, and also happens to be pretty fast.[/citation]
The Gas Guzzler Tax applies only to passenger vehicles, commercial, truck, SUVs, minivans are not covered by it. According to EPA web page http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/index.htm
Are you aware we are talking about new GTR not R34 and older. Camaro and Ford to hand him his ass? Ok here's a challenge, name Chevy or Ford vehicle that costs under $100k and goes 0-60mph in less than 2.7 seconds and has top speed over 200mph, and has better interior than GTR. Only Ford GT comes close to beating it and only in top speed department, with 212mph.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]blakbird24[/nom]The comments section is why I love to see car reviews on Tom's. There are few things more hilarious than listening to computer nerds talk about cars. Though I will say, the clueless-ness in this particular case has reached the point where it's getting old. Here are some facts that various commenters will find surprising:- The gas guzzler tax applies to all vehicles equally regardless of country of origin (excepting light trucks as already noted).- Both Ford AND Chevy have ~600hp+ cars that cost half as much, the only one that can actually surpass 200mph (the GT500, despite Ford's claims, doesn't quite hit the mark, though it gets very close) costs about the same as the M6 (however in terms of performance the ZR1 would rip apart the M6 in every performance category).- A 1994 Mitsu 3000GT that is AWD and makes anywhere near 600hp is going to get GREAT gas mileage, because it will be sitting in the shop more than it will be on the road (which means no one is going to be able to "afford" 6 of them for the price of the M6).- The Nissan GT-R is not even in the same league as the M6. Totally different cars - the GT-R is budget performance (crappy interior, entry-level quality), the M6 offers much better refinement and comfort, and also happens to be pretty fast.- There are TONS of road cars that are faster than a GT-R...hell there's even a Camaro model and a Mustang model that can hand the GT-R it's ass.- The Lotus Exige is an excellent car, if you are 5'8" and less than 160lbs. - Calling both the M6 and GT-R "sports cars" is like calling Wal-Mart and Armani Exchange "stores".- The OHV (pushrod) engine design is newer than the OHC and DOHC engine designs, and no iteration of the OHV engine appears in ANY Mustang of the last 20 years.All of the above points are pure fact, noting nothing of my personal opinions.[/citation]
The Camaro ZL1 (not ZR1), while a nice car does not hand a GT-R its ass. Under any scenario. The 2012 boasts a 0-60 of 3.9, while the 2013 GT-R boasts a 2.7. Thats a significant difference. Even the GT500 with its ridiculous amount of horsepower cant break 3.5. The GT-R even beats the GT500 in the quarter mile. Nobody should even care about top speed since nobody is going to be doing 200mph anyway (but if you want to include it, then yes it does fall a bit behind the GT500).

The only thing that the GT-R loses on is basically top speed. The only cars that are faster or handle better, cost several hundred thousand or are extremely tiny (exige for handling as an example)

Lastly, the M6 and GT-R are both officially classified as sports cars. The M6 likely has more room in the back seat, but thats it for differences. Interiors on both are nice, and while I like the GT-R's styling better, that is down to preference. Why are you hating on the GT-R and claiming to be all knowledgeable? What are your credentials to talk down to everybody? Last I checked, you are posting here on toms too.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]reyshan[/nom]So you were saying the old M5 V10 only had 60hp?? Thats amazing how fast they went with only 60hp.[/citation]
"up from" means the old one was 500hp

deepblue08

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
Great car! For those that keep bringing up cars like the Nissan GT-R, please get over yourselves; you are comparing apples to oranges. If you want to tear up asphalt, go get yourself a GT-R, for people who want, comfort, luxury and power at the same time, go get yourself a BMW M6 or Mercedes AMG, simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.