Boomerang Effect: Firefox 4 is 7x Faster than IE9

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallaswits

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I use chrome primarily, and IE when chrome fails(which happens at least once a day). Firefox's buttons and styling have always felt a bit cartoonish to my mind...

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]dallaswits[/nom]I use chrome primarily, and IE when chrome fails(which happens at least once a day). Firefox's buttons and styling have always felt a bit cartoonish to my mind...[/citation]
I'm curious as to how Chrome fails so often? Not flaming just wondering. I haven't had any stability issues with Chrome for months, starting from Chrome 5.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I use Firefox and Opera mostly, I feel that majority of these speed measurements are misleading. As browsing speed is more dependent on what kind of internet you have, rather than your choice of browser.

idoln95

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dallaswits[/nom]I use chrome primarily, and IE when chrome fails(which happens at least once a day). Firefox's buttons and styling have always felt a bit cartoonish to my mind...[/citation]
you can always install a skin of FF...

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I liked this article, especially the fairness of the conclusion.

Browsers have gone from near obscurity for the common user, to a very real, tangible, and experience defining part of their day to day computing, both casual and business. I think that in the next few years browsers will be more akin to smartphones (even though they do draw lines between we geeks). At least in regards to how the differences are defined and the way that each browser evolves indiviually.

I have been using Firefox since it first came out when most people didn't know about it and were using IE for every thing now look at it. It is on top. Its a work horse and very little any time soon is going to change that.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I enjoyed this article. There was no favoritism and it was very realistic. All the browser makers these days are trying to create hype over mili-seconds. Yes they do make a difference to an extent, but it is now getting down the the point where it will not be noticeable. So I do agree with the fact that you cannot go wrong by choosing any of them.

I believe that the add-ons for each browser will be a primary focus now, and that is something the Firefox 3 had, but will need to be created in Firefox 4. Internet explorer has ways to go for that, and Chrome has successfully brought over its add-ons already. I however stick with Firefox 3 because I don't want to lose my add-ons.

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Mikeadelic[/nom]I'm curious as to how Chrome fails so often? Not flaming just wondering. I haven't had any stability issues with Chrome for months, starting from Chrome 5.[/citation]

I also use Chrome primarily. I think usability-wise, it's a little easier and quicker than firefox. But for me, Chrome doesn't work with my school email client and occasionally has problems loading a pdf. Firefox is always rock solid.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
FF + NoScript = Great no BS browsing... and NoScript does it by BLOCKING Java execution - even if it's 7x Accelerated! :-D

I still use IE some, and Chrome seems decent enough... but Firefox is my browsing workhorse.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Firefox will be one of my all time favourite browsers because of the add-ons. Sure now Chrome and Safari can support them, but Chrome will NEVER get Adblock because it will block their own ads and Safari; maybe.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Who really cares about speed? That's limited by the ISP primarily.

Now, security and flexibility (add-ons)? Yeah, those are very important! Whether it renders a page 0.002 seconds faster is moot though.

captain save-a-ho

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Realistically, you can’t really make a mistake by picking one.

Huh? Since when did Micro$oft remove ActiveX from their browser? Can anyone make this statement about "not making a mistake" while maintaining a straight face? You had me until then...

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I use Chrome mostly. I've had it crash maybe twice on Windows 7 the whole time I've used it (past year or so). I use IE when some stupid website says it isn't compatible with Chrome and says I have to use IE which is like once a month for me if that.

I do use IE 8 primarily at work though. Lots of websites at my work aren't compatible with Chrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.