I use to be able to turn on the computer and it would boot to the desktop.
After installing a HP printer that no longer happens.
Instead it boots to a welcome window where you have to select a newuser icon
to boot to the desktop.
Plus my boot time is taking much longer.
When I am a way from the computer the screen goes dark, and when I hit a key
or move the mouse the welcome/newuser window pops up and you have to click on
new user icon to get back what was up.
How do I get my system back so that I can turn it on, have it boot to the
desk top without going thru the welcome window, and bring it back out of
sleep/mode (if thats what you call it) by moving the mouse or clicking any
key to have it return to the active windows.
thanks
ron

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:40BDD1E9-80F2-4E27-A069-B049815B8C94@microsoft.com,
ronnn12345 <ronnn12345@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I use to be able to turn on the computer and it would boot to the
> desktop. After installing a HP printer that no longer happens.
> Instead it boots to a welcome window where you have to select a
> newuser icon to boot to the desktop.
> Plus my boot time is taking much longer.
> When I am a way from the computer the screen goes dark, and when I
> hit a key or move the mouse the welcome/newuser window pops up and
> you have to click on new user icon to get back what was up.
> How do I get my system back so that I can turn it on, have it boot to
> the desk top without going thru the welcome window, and bring it back
> out of sleep/mode (if thats what you call it) by moving the mouse or
> clicking any key to have it return to the active windows.
> thanks
> ron

Start
Run
Type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes
Enter button
Untick the option that says users must enter a username and password to use
this computer
Click apply
A screen will popup
Enter in the top the user account you want to use
Put the passwords in twice if there is one
Click OK
Click OK
Reboot
Does that work?

Now, just in case:

Right click a blank spot on the desktop.
Click properties.
Click Screen Saver
Click Power button
Click Advanced tab
UNTICK the option to prompt for password when the PC returns from standby.

Galen

Galen< thanks for help.
I tried you first suggestion, it resulted in a different screen prior to the
desk top and when it reached the desktop most of my icons were gone and the
background had changed. So I reversed out of the change.

I have made the changes for the standby issue and will see if that helps.

In the past the boot process would bring me to a black screen with a cursor,
take a several seconds then the desktop would appear.

The difference after loading the new printer brings up a welcome window then
the window to click on new user, then it continues to the desk top.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:40BDD1E9-80F2-4E27-A069-B049815B8C94@microsoft.com,
> ronnn12345 <ronnn12345@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > I use to be able to turn on the computer and it would boot to the
> > desktop. After installing a HP printer that no longer happens.
> > Instead it boots to a welcome window where you have to select a
> > newuser icon to boot to the desktop.
> > Plus my boot time is taking much longer.
> > When I am a way from the computer the screen goes dark, and when I
> > hit a key or move the mouse the welcome/newuser window pops up and
> > you have to click on new user icon to get back what was up.
> > How do I get my system back so that I can turn it on, have it boot to
> > the desk top without going thru the welcome window, and bring it back
> > out of sleep/mode (if thats what you call it) by moving the mouse or
> > clicking any key to have it return to the active windows.
> > thanks
> > ron
>
> Start
> Run
> Type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes
> Enter button
> Untick the option that says users must enter a username and password to use
> this computer
> Click apply
> A screen will popup
> Enter in the top the user account you want to use
> Put the passwords in twice if there is one
> Click OK
> Click OK
> Reboot
> Does that work?
>
> Now, just in case:
>
> Right click a blank spot on the desktop.
> Click properties.
> Click Screen Saver
> Click Power button
> Click Advanced tab
> UNTICK the option to prompt for password when the PC returns from standby.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 14:51:03 -0700, ronnn12345 wrote:

> Galen< thanks for help.
> I tried you first suggestion, it resulted in a different screen prior to the
> desk top and when it reached the desktop most of my icons were gone and the
> background had changed. So I reversed out of the change.
>
> I have made the changes for the standby issue and will see if that helps.
>
> In the past the boot process would bring me to a black screen with a cursor,
> take a several seconds then the desktop would appear.
>
> The difference after loading the new printer brings up a welcome window then
> the window to click on new user, then it continues to the desk top.

did you use Tweak UI to eliminate the welcome screen before that
printer was installed?

Im not sure what Tweak UI is, All I did was put the printer cd in and
followed its instructions. So I dont recall the Term tweak UI coming up.

"sf" wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 14:51:03 -0700, ronnn12345 wrote:
>
> > Galen< thanks for help.
> > I tried you first suggestion, it resulted in a different screen prior to the
> > desk top and when it reached the desktop most of my icons were gone and the
> > background had changed. So I reversed out of the change.
> >
> > I have made the changes for the standby issue and will see if that helps.
> >
> > In the past the boot process would bring me to a black screen with a cursor,
> > take a several seconds then the desktop would appear.
> >
> > The difference after loading the new printer brings up a welcome window then
> > the window to click on new user, then it continues to the desk top.
> >

> did you use Tweak UI to eliminate the welcome screen before that
> printer was installed?

Are you following the procedure shown here?
http://mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/welskip.php

On the 'Users' tab of User Accounts, how many users are listed? Did you leave the
password box blank, or did you use a password? If you used a password and did not
previously (or vice versa), you will be logging on as a different user, AFAIK, and
that will give you the different desktop.

The idea is, if you were not using a password, to enter a blank password in this
procedure also. Uncheck the box which states 'Users must enter a username...', then
choose the username from the list, that is your default user name.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ronnn12345" <ronnn12345@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Galen< thanks for help.
> I tried you first suggestion, it resulted in a different screen prior to the
> desk top and when it reached the desktop most of my icons were gone and the
> background had changed. So I reversed out of the change.
>
> I have made the changes for the standby issue and will see if that helps.
>
> In the past the boot process would bring me to a black screen with a cursor,
> take a several seconds then the desktop would appear.
>
> The difference after loading the new printer brings up a welcome window then
> the window to click on new user, then it continues to the desk top.
>

> "Galen" wrote:
>
> > In news:40BDD1E9-80F2-4E27-A069-B049815B8C94@microsoft.com,
> > ronnn12345 <ronnn12345@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
> >
> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
> >
> > > I use to be able to turn on the computer and it would boot to the
> > > desktop. After installing a HP printer that no longer happens.
> > > Instead it boots to a welcome window where you have to select a
> > > newuser icon to boot to the desktop.
> > > Plus my boot time is taking much longer.
> > > When I am a way from the computer the screen goes dark, and when I
> > > hit a key or move the mouse the welcome/newuser window pops up and
> > > you have to click on new user icon to get back what was up.
> > > How do I get my system back so that I can turn it on, have it boot to
> > > the desk top without going thru the welcome window, and bring it back
> > > out of sleep/mode (if thats what you call it) by moving the mouse or
> > > clicking any key to have it return to the active windows.
> > > thanks
> > > ron
> >
> > Start
> > Run
> > Type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes
> > Enter button
> > Untick the option that says users must enter a username and password to use
> > this computer
> > Click apply
> > A screen will popup
> > Enter in the top the user account you want to use
> > Put the passwords in twice if there is one
> > Click OK
> > Click OK
> > Reboot
> > Does that work?
> >
> > Now, just in case:
> >
> > Right click a blank spot on the desktop.
> > Click properties.
> > Click Screen Saver
> > Click Power button
> > Click Advanced tab
> > UNTICK the option to prompt for password when the PC returns from standby.
> >
> > Galen
> > --
> > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

glee,
yes I followed those steps. When I unchecked the box the user choices were
not available to select. Only when the box was checked. I have four
showing. I believe these are by default as I have not added any.
Now the user box list shows four selections and the top one is highlighted
when the box is checked. Newuser is not the one highlighted. Two of the
selections have admistrator capabilities.
I appreciate your help and input.

"glee" wrote:

> Are you following the procedure shown here?
> http://mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/welskip.php
>
> On the 'Users' tab of User Accounts, how many users are listed? Did you leave the
> password box blank, or did you use a password? If you used a password and did not
> previously (or vice versa), you will be logging on as a different user, AFAIK, and
> that will give you the different desktop.
>
> The idea is, if you were not using a password, to enter a blank password in this
> procedure also. Uncheck the box which states 'Users must enter a username...', then
> choose the username from the list, that is your default user name.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "ronnn12345" <ronnn12345@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Galen< thanks for help.
> > I tried you first suggestion, it resulted in a different screen prior to the
> > desk top and when it reached the desktop most of my icons were gone and the
> > background had changed. So I reversed out of the change.
> >
> > I have made the changes for the standby issue and will see if that helps.
> >
> > In the past the boot process would bring me to a black screen with a cursor,
> > take a several seconds then the desktop would appear.
> >
> > The difference after loading the new printer brings up a welcome window then
> > the window to click on new user, then it continues to the desk top.
> >

> > "Galen" wrote:
> >
> > > In news:40BDD1E9-80F2-4E27-A069-B049815B8C94@microsoft.com,
> > > ronnn12345 <ronnn12345@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
> > >
> > > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> > > Start
> > > Run
> > > Type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes
> > > Enter button
> > > Untick the option that says users must enter a username and password to use
> > > this computer
> > > Click apply
> > > A screen will popup
> > > Enter in the top the user account you want to use
> > > Put the passwords in twice if there is one
> > > Click OK
> > > Click OK
> > > Reboot
> > > Does that work?
> > >
> > > Now, just in case:
> > >
> > > Right click a blank spot on the desktop.
> > > Click properties.
> > > Click Screen Saver
> > > Click Power button
> > > Click Advanced tab
> > > UNTICK the option to prompt for password when the PC returns from standby.
> > >
> > > Galen
> > > --
> > > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> > > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

You have four? What are the four (I assume one is Guest, and is off) and how are
they listed on your log-on screen?

Compare your settings and screens to the info and images on this web page and see if
you can sort what your settings are:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/wxpplgon.htm
Then post back with that further info, such as what your Log On and Log Off Options
are set to.