Question bootable usb phone

Nov 10, 2022
i recently finished building my pc and i dont have any usb drive to install windows in it, can someone tell me if i can and how can i use my phone to install windows on my pc without losing data? it has 100/256gb used as of now

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You can, but it's a giant pain and rather janky. You'd have to use something like DriveDroid and root your phone and a lot of people have been reporting that it's not working anymore.

This is not a good solution. You have one actually good solution for installing Windows: get a cheap USB flash drive and use Microsoft's tool for install media. Not some janky workaround.

As for your data, you've been unfortunately seriously negligent in multiple ways. Important data should always be backed up, ideally in multiple places, at all times. And ignoring this is bad enough, but it seems you gave it zero consideration when building this PC until this point. In other words, at no part of this process did you treat important data as if it had any importance whatsoever.

So now you have two actually good solutions. First, if this is a SATA drive, put it in an enclosure, attach it to another computer, and use that other computer to back up your important data. If the data is not on a SATA drive, buy a new OS drive, install only it in the new PC, and install Windows to it, before adding your current drive as a secondary one.

Nov 10, 2022
You can, but it's a giant pain and rather janky. You'd have to use something like DriveDroid and root your phone and a lot of people have been reporting that it's not working anymore.

This is not a good solution. You have one actually good solution for installing Windows: get a cheap USB flash drive and use Microsoft's tool for install media. Not some janky workaround.

As for your data, you've been unfortunately seriously negligent in multiple ways. Important data should always be backed up, ideally in multiple places, at all times. And ignoring this is bad enough, but it seems you gave it zero consideration when building this PC until this point. In other words, at no part of this process did you treat important data as if it had any importance whatsoever.

So now you have two actually good solutions. First, if this is a SATA drive, put it in an enclosure, attach it to another computer, and use that other computer to back up your important data. If the data is not on a SATA drive, buy a new OS drive, install only it in the new PC, and install Windows to it, before adding your current drive as a secondary one.
no i was meaning like the data on the phone, i didn't really mind losing the data from my old pc