Bootable vs non-bootable

Am I correct that a full version of Win9X will boot, but an upgrade version
will not?

As far as I know, retail versions of 9x systems were never bootable. OEM's made recovery CD's that were bootable.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Gordon Nelson" <popop3@verizon.net> wrote in message news:UUOee.33$U01.26@trnddc07...
> Am I correct that a full version of Win9X will boot, but an upgrade version
> will not?

No version of Win9x (to my knowledge) is bootable. You start the install by
inserting the setup floppy and booting from that.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Gordon Nelson" <popop3@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Am I correct that a full version of Win9X will boot, but an upgrade
> version will not?

I recall seeing a few self booting Windows 98 SE Full versions. IIRC no
Upgrade versions were bootable.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Gordon Nelson" <popop3@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Am I correct that a full version of Win9X will boot, but an upgrade
> version will not?

I never saw a retail version that was bootable - full or upgrade.
I did see OEM versions that was bootable

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
>I recall seeing a few self booting Windows 98 SE Full versions. IIRC no
>Upgrade versions were bootable.
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "Gordon Nelson" <popop3@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Am I correct that a full version of Win9X will boot, but an upgrade
>> version will not?

Yes I think you are right Jon. The bootable versions were OEMs as I recall.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp