Booting new build - Ryzen 5 with Asus B350-Plus

Jun 3, 2018
Hello,

I've just put together a new build using predominantly parts recently ordered. After deconstructing my old setup and putting everything together (very carefully and of course properly grounded), the system starts but I get no visual display - i.e. cannot get into POST. For the avoidance of doubt that means all fans spinning, graphics card and hard drive run, the motherboard LEDs are on, but I get nothing on the monitor (attached to card via HDMI)

Specification:
AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 2600 3.90GHz (Socket AM4) Processor (w. stock Wraith heatsink)
Team Group Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
Asus Prime B350-Plus AMD B350 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Cougar VTX 650W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Founders Edition

Do you have any ideas how to find a solution? Here's the things I've tried already:

• Booting with only one stick of RAM, and changing which slots this RAM was in
    Disconnecting all PSU connections and reattaching
    Remounting graphics card
    Booting with older AMD graphics card
    Removing battery for several minutes, and also manually shorting to reset CMOS
    Booting with a full "bare bones" setup - i.e. just the CPU, card, RAM and keyboard
    Booting with both the card and integrated graphics attached (via VGA)
    Booting without the card (I know the Ryzen won't boot with integrated graphics, but happy to try)
    Booting with the older PSU (it doesn't have enough power for the card, so a bit of a lost cause)
I haven't tried remounting the CPU but have no intention of doing so since it fit in so perfectly, and therefore no reason to possibly cause more damage. I also don't have a montherboard speaker to test with beeps.

My best guess is that the BIOS is outdated and needs an update, but since I have no way of getting to POST, I can't confirm it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
James

Jun 3, 2018

Is it a common thing for these MBs to be shipped out-of-date?

It depends when it was manufactured. The CPU was launched in 2018, so if the board was produced in 2017, it would certainly not support the CPU. You can check the BIOS version on a thin sticker on the motherboard (last 4 digits). If earlier than 3803, the board's BIOS needs an update.

TRENDING THREADS