Botched W10 updrade on my Lenovo Y480 has rendered hard drive non-bootable. Need to retrieve data

ARchamps

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Hi all,

I tried upgrading my laptop to windows 10 from 7 as an upgrade (not a clean install). Something went wrong and it failed and the drive could not boot. I tried putting in the Windows 7 disk to run the disk checking but none of that worked. There was a second partition that Lenovo created, but there are only some drivers on there and some of the windows 10 files. I have plugged the drive in to my main PC and the partition where the data was says "disk structure is corrupted and unreadable"

Any solutions on how to recover this data and fix the drive?

Thanks!

Solution
if you wiped the hidden restore partion on the laptop. you have to contact the laptop vendor for a restore disk. if not do a clean wipe of the drive and use windows 10 media creation tool and if you have the windows 7 key for the laptop you may be able to use it. windows 7 to free 10 upgrade time ended a few days ago (29 July).
if you wiped the hidden restore partion on the laptop. you have to contact the laptop vendor for a restore disk. if not do a clean wipe of the drive and use windows 10 media creation tool and if you have the windows 7 key for the laptop you may be able to use it. windows 7 to free 10 upgrade time ended a few days ago (29 July).

Solution