Question Bottleneck from PCIE Lanes?

jordow47

Honorable
Mar 6, 2018
Im about to upgrade my System, and am worried that I may get some bottlenecking due to the overuse of PCIE lanes. I'm not too knowledgeable in this area so it may not even become an issue. Will this system be likely to encounter any such problem, if so how can I reduce it?

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
MOBO: Aorus B450 Pro
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mHz
GPU:
GTX GeForce 1080
GTX GeForce 960 (Slave)
PSU: EVGA 1000w GQ
M.2: Gigabyte M.2-2280 256GB
SSD: 120GB KINGSTON SSD
HDD:
250GB Seagate ST250DM000-1BC141 ATA Device (SATA)
250GB ExcelStor Technology J92 SATA Disk Device (SATA)
750GB Western Digital WDC WD75 00AAKS-00RBA0 SATA Disk Device (SATA)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, CPU is putting out 8x/8x to the GPUs, should have a 4x direct to the M.2 drive, a 1x connection to sound (learn something new everyday...), and a 4x connection to the chipset. The chipset will be handling your other 4 drives, so as long as they aren't all transferring data simultaneously, should be fine.

As to dealing with it, well, removing the unnecessary GPU for a start... GTX960 is going to have slower, pretty much everything, so even using it for PhysX is probably more a hindrance than a help to the GTX1080. Should be able to get quite a few displays (4 I believe) out of a GTX1080, so unless you are doing like six screens or something it seems like a waste.

Consolidating your hard drives by buying a 2TB drive or something. Using the others as backup drives.

jordow47

Honorable
Mar 6, 2018
Well, CPU is putting out 8x/8x to the GPUs, should have a 4x direct to the M.2 drive, a 1x connection to sound (learn something new everyday...), and a 4x connection to the chipset. The chipset will be handling your other 4 drives, so as long as they aren't all transferring data simultaneously, should be fine.

As to dealing with it, well, removing the unnecessary GPU for a start... GTX960 is going to have slower, pretty much everything, so even using it for PhysX is probably more a hindrance than a help to the GTX1080. Should be able to get quite a few displays (4 I believe) out of a GTX1080, so unless you are doing like six screens or something it seems like a waste.

Consolidating your hard drives by buying a 2TB drive or something. Using the others as backup drives.

Ahhh lovely! To be honest, I was contemplating whether it'd just be better to get rid of the graphics card because as you said it's fairly useless to have in the system.
I appreciate your help, thanks!

The first pcie slot is 3.0 x16 (from cpu) but the second is 2.0 x4. All slots other than the first would be from the mobo. The m.2 also comes from the cpu. Other pcie lanes are used for ethernet, usb, other stuff as well depending on the chipset,. You aren't using all the lanes. The 960 is useless though unless you have some other reason not stated.

jordow47

Honorable
Mar 6, 2018
The first pcie slot is 3.0 x16 (from cpu) but the second is 2.0 x4. All slots other than the first would be from the mobo. The m.2 also comes from the cpu. Other pcie lanes are used for ethernet, usb, other stuff as well depending on the chipset,. You aren't using all the lanes. The 960 is useless though unless you have some other reason not stated.

Okay thanks you. I did also forget to mention that I use a small TP-Link Pcie wifi card, although I doubt that it would also cause an issue in taking up lanes?